12 Drive Bay Cases?

Lokosis

So, I'm looking for a new home for my unRAID server. It's currently in an Antec Three Hundred and I'm running out of space to fit the additional hard drives which I will eventually be adding.

I'm specifically looking for a Tower type case, which has 12 or even more External 5.25" Drive Bays. I know there are the lots of Norco, SuperMicro, etc. Rackmount cases out there, but I'm not a fan of them and don't plan on going that route. Specifically only want a Tower.

The only one that seems popular and easily available is the Antec Twelve Hundred, if anyone has any other suggestions that would be amazing. Thanks in advance.

The fractal design define xl has 10x internal 3.5" drive bays as well as 4x 5.25" external drive bays. This could be an option. Has similar pricing to the antec 1200.

fractal-design-define-xl-pc-case-sideview.jpg

There's also the Lian Li PC-A77FB has 12x 5.25" drive bays although its about twice the price of the antec and fractal.

obudowa-lian-li-pc-a77fb_6364.jpg

I've got nothing against the Twelve Hundred, it's a great case. I just like choice in my life. =)

One thing I should have mentioned this is a 100% passive/fanless system, so I need an top exhaust for hot air to rise through, which the Twelve Hundred also has.

It really doesn't seem like there is much options in what I'm looking for. I thought I had missed something in my exhaustive searches, but apparently not.

Well, the system is already up and running. I'm just looking to expand and want a bigger case for it.

The current components are:

SeaSonic X650 Gold (has a 'smart' fan which only turns on when there's high power use, therefore it is never on in here, and barely makes heat)

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas with 1GB DDR2 on an Asus M2A74-AM.

Using a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus to cool the CPU, no fan installed, hot air exits through the top of the 300 where the 20cm fan hole is. It runs at around 40-50 celcius, but thats only using a Infrared Thermometer, as I coulnd't get a temp readout in unRAID or unmenu.

Currently housing 6x2TB drives, which run at 30-40 celcius when in use.

So other than drive spinup, and running, which I have set to spindown in 15 mins, no noise. When they are spun down, and the case is open with your ear in the heart of it, it does not make a noise. I love it. I had to plugin the power light pins on the motherboard to be sure when its on and off now. Heh

That's pretty impressive.  However, with 12 - 20 drives I don't think you'll be able to get away without dedicated cooling for the HDDs.  I would recommend looking into a single large fan, such as a 200 mm top or rear mounted fan.

There are water cooling systems for HDDs, but I really don't think they are worth the expense.

Also, a good drill bit will add air holes to any case :D

Well, the system is already up and running. I'm just looking to expand and want a bigger case for it.

The current components are:

SeaSonic X650 Gold (has a 'smart' fan which only turns on when there's high power use, therefore it is never on in here, and barely makes heat)

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas with 1GB DDR2 on an Asus M2A74-AM.

Using a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus to cool the CPU, no fan installed, hot air exits through the top of the 300 where the 20cm fan hole is. It runs at around 40-50 celcius, but thats only using a Infrared Thermometer, as I coulnd't get a temp readout in unRAID or unmenu.

Currently housing 6x2TB drives, which run at 30-40 celcius when in use.

So other than drive spinup, and running, which I have set to spindown in 15 mins, no noise. When they are spun down, and the case is open with your ear in the heart of it, it does not make a noise. I love it. I had to plugin the power light pins on the motherboard to be sure when its on and off now. Heh

Nice! Can I ask what the ambient temperature is? I would love to try this. I've experience unacceptable temperatures (>55C) for some of my HDD when I did not have then in a case with active cooling. i.e. when I was building and testing the system before final assembly in the summer.

Post some pics on the U.C.D. section!

Room temperature is 22.5

During a parity check the hottest and topmost drive  gets to no higher than 50 celsius.

I have some temp readouts from the infrared thermometer, 60.0 celsius was the hottest spot I could find on the cpu. My only way of reading the CPU as I could never get k8temp to function.

Here's a few pics of the server for the curious.

Not the best pics, as its nestled in the basement underneath a staircase.

Yes, there are still fans in the box, but none are plugged in.

If anyone is curious, I'm using the MASSCOOL PCI Card, 4 internal SATA found here -> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280003

4972841ba221fe634f2de0bdfd967048.jpg

42a553fc078753e7acd36cb04df452ff.jpg

3aafa6dcc2ab06e12149abdc8b979408.jpg

82e60884f0a60976a1513cafe8a8e8df.jpg

fdf7869e80774347088a75e23708e0c8.jpg

099f5d56424e8782ed2ea45ffd81abb8.jpg

58d9078433423bfc6fdefe6121e294a5.jpg

c43ca46cc5c3b29ec12e5edbceb8112d.jpg

FWIW, here's another vote for the CoolerMaster 590 case with two CoolerMaster 4-in-3 cages for a total of twelve drives.

Pluses for the CoolerMaster:

- nine 5" drive bays, externally accessible

- Price:  around $70 for the case; $20 to $25 for the 4-in-3 cages

- Front bezel doesn't have any wires attached to it --- very easy to pull off/on

- The 4-in-3 cages do come with 120mm fans.  I under volt them to keep them quiet

- Lots of room, especially when using mATX motherboards (i.e., drives don't overlap motherboard)

Minuses:

- Doesn't have a reset button

If I was going for the maxed out 15 drive option I wouldn't buy those $100 5-in-3 cages.  It do I rather go for the NORCO RPC-4220 for less.

FWIW, here's another vote for the CoolerMaster 590 case with two CoolerMaster 4-in-3 cages for a total of twelve drives.

Pluses for the CoolerMaster:

- nine 5" drive bays, externally accessible

- Price:  around $70 for the case; $20 to $25 for the 4-in-3 cages

- Front bezel doesn't have any wires attached to it --- very easy to pull off/on

- The 4-in-3 cages do come with 120mm fans.  I under volt them to keep them quiet

- Lots of room, especially when using mATX motherboards (i.e., drives don't overlap motherboard)

Minuses:

- Doesn't have a reset button

If I was going for the maxed out 15 drive option I wouldn't buy those $100 5-in-3 cages.  It do I rather go for the NORCO RPC-4220 for less.

I was dead set to get a 590 till they vanished from everywhere....lol

i went with a Antec 1200.....got lucky and got it at a steal of a price.....but even at reg price to get to that 15 or 16 drive case then all it would take is 4 of the cm 4 in 3's and your still cheaper than the Norco

just have to be realistic on how many drives your gonna expand to......we would all love to have a 20 drive beast but those 20 drives are expensive....lol

and now with movement on getting support for 3tb drives means more space with less drives happening soon

so like i said....it is much better to bang your head against the wall now and really figure out what you need than to find out later you wasted a bunch of money....lol

• 1 year later...

I have the NZXT Whisper Full-tower and its a good cheap case. Definite potential to get 20 drives in it, 9 internal and 7 external bays (2 X 5 in 3 + 1 on rails).

My internal drives run between 32c - 44c degrees and externals usual run around the 40c mark.

I see only two minor issues with it; 1) very heavy even when not fully stacked with drives, 2) cooling fans not very powerful (would benefit from a couple Noctua's but that would boost the price).

Regards,

Adz