Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

On 2/24/2022 at 1:23 PM, dlandon said:

After you preclear a drive, you need to delete the log by clicking on the red X on the preclear status line.  You can then format the drive.

The partition created by preclear is not a mountable partition because it does not have a file system.

I just precleared my drive again and tried removing the partition by clicking on the bottom red X. But this always fails.

I can however click on the top red X.

But shouldn't the partition disappear afterwards? the mount button is still greyed out aswell.

drive.jpg.0b79bea311baf8572202a1d9da4b8924.jpg

4 hours ago, Marv said:

I just precleared my drive again and tried removing the partition by clicking on the bottom red X. But this always fails.

UD uses parted to remove a partition, but it fails on partitions that don't have a file system.  I've removed the 'X' for a partition if it does not contain a file system.  You then have to use the clear all paritions to remove the partition.  This is fixed in the next release.

I tested the clear all partitions and it worked for me, so there is a situation specific to your system.  After you perfrm the steps I've asked for above, I can see where there might be a problem in your situation.

8 minutes ago, Marv said:

I did but still had to 'clear disk' via UD afterwards fo be able to format.

Now I can add it to the array but will need to preclear it again, right?

You can add it directly to the array after a preclear.  The preclear signature tells Unraid it is cleared and Unraid will format it for you.

I thought because of the -z that it would remove the preclear signature.

I also wasn't able to add the disk to the array after the preclear. I was thinking because of the missing file system.

So to be able to remove the partition after a preclear with UD I have to zero the MBR with -z.

Then I can use 'clear disk' with UD and add it to the array without having to preclear it again

Just now, Marv said:

I thought because of the -z that it would remove the preclear signature.

I tried that in the binhex docker container and it failed.  It's not working.

1 minute ago, Marv said:

I also wasn't able to add the disk to the array after the preclear. I was thinking because of the missing file system.

It should have worked.  Unraid will create the file system.

2 minutes ago, Marv said:

So to be able to remove the partition after a preclear with UD I have to zero the MBR with -z.

Then I can use 'clear disk' with UD and add it to the array without having to preclear it again

You should be able to use clear disk anytime to remove the partitions.  After you preclear a disk it is ready to add to the array.  You don't need to format the disk first.  You can add it to the array whether or not you use the clear disk.

You have something out of the ordinary happening in your system.  The -z didn't work, and then you were able to clear the disk.  Doesn't make sense why it would work then.

Hello,

I am brand new to Unraid and attempting to migrate data from my Windows machine via rsync following SpaceInvaderOne's YT video. However, I cannot get my Windows machine to mount properly as an SMB share. I can add it, put in the proper username and password, and then load the correct share, but it will not mount. The 'mount' button just re-appears.

What are some troubleshooting steps for this?

Thanks!

Here's what the syslog says:

Feb 26 16:16:21 Tower unassigned.devices: Remote server 'ALEXDPS' cannot be found on the LAN.

Feb 26 16:16:29 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//ALEXDPS/D'...

Feb 26 16:16:29 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//ALEXDPS/D$' using SMB default protocol.

Feb 26 16:16:29 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_D$' '//ALEXDPS/D$' '/mnt/remotes/ALEXDPS_D$'

Feb 26 16:16:29 Tower kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount //ALEXDPS/D$

Feb 26 16:16:29 Tower kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

With "ALEXDPS" being the name of the server. I am not sure what it would mean by "cannot be found on the LAN" as it is hard-wired and set up to be shareable in Windows.

EDIT - I do see one line of text saying "STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE" so that may mean that my credentials are incorrect. Are there any guides available on how to find what username/password the system requires from Windows?

Edited by Stormblessed21
Add Info
7 hours ago, Marv said:

Hm I'm using the disk on a LSI SAS 9207-8i. Can this be a reason maybe?

I did a little research into this and the binhex preclear does in fact write a MBR signature that UD can't clear.  So what you did was the way to get the partition cleared with UD.  I don't think I want UD to get involved with removing the preclear signature before removing the partition.

For now the procedure you went through is how to remove the precleared partition with UD.