Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array


dlandon

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, valamas said:

NEW POST: Greyed out MOUNT and FORMAT buttons

 

I have two drives one formatted one not. For both drives, buttons MOUNT and FORMAT are greyed out.

UNRAID v6.6.5

Unassigned Devices: 2018.11.10a up-to-date

All installed plugins are up to date

Array is started and not other issues noticed (problem is the same if not started)

Have rebooted the server numerous times.

Default UD settings unchanged

 

thank you, Mike

 

Log:


Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS emhttpd: shcmd (62): mkdir -p /mnt/disk2
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS emhttpd: shcmd (63): mount -t xfs -o noatime,nodiratime /dev/md2 /mnt/disk2
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS kernel: XFS (md2): Mounting V5 Filesystem
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS kernel: XFS (md2): Ending clean mount
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS emhttpd: shcmd (64): xfs_growfs /mnt/disk2
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS root: meta-data=/dev/md2 isize=512 agcount=4, agsize=122094660 blks
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS root: = sectsz=512 attr=2, projid32bit=1
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS root: = crc=1 finobt=1 spinodes=0 rmapbt=0
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS root: = reflink=0
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS root: data = bsize=4096 blocks=488378638, imaxpct=5
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS root: = sunit=0 swidth=0 blks
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS root: naming =version 2 bsize=4096 ascii-ci=0 ftype=1
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS root: log =internal bsize=4096 blocks=238466, version=2
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS root: = sectsz=512 sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=1
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS root: realtime =none extsz=4096 blocks=0, rtextents=0
Nov 15 06:59:40 NAS emhttpd: shcmd (65): sync
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS emhttpd: shcmd (66): mkdir /mnt/user
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS emhttpd: shcmd (67): /usr/local/sbin/shfs /mnt/user -disks 6 -o noatime,big_writes,allow_other -o remember=0 |& logger
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS shfs: stderr redirected to syslog
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS emhttpd: shcmd (69): /usr/local/sbin/update_cron
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS root: Delaying execution of fix common problems scan for 10 minutes
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Devices...
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'WDC_WD40EZRX-00SPEB0_WD-WCC4E2025305', mountpoint 'WDC_WD40EZRX-00SPEB0_WD-WCC4E2025305' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS emhttpd: Starting services...
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS emhttpd: shcmd (83): /usr/local/sbin/mount_image '/mnt/disk1/docker.img' /var/lib/docker 20
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS kernel: BTRFS: device fsid 6fa975ba-b5c9-41f7-bd23-ba3f1eb62549 devid 1 transid 224 /dev/loop2
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS kernel: BTRFS info (device loop2): disk space caching is enabled
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS kernel: BTRFS info (device loop2): has skinny extents
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS root: Resize '/var/lib/docker' of 'max'
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS kernel: BTRFS info (device loop2): new size for /dev/loop2 is 21474836480
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS emhttpd: shcmd (85): /etc/rc.d/rc.docker start
Nov 15 06:59:41 NAS root: starting dockerd ...
Nov 15 06:59:43 NAS avahi-daemon[3495]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
Nov 15 06:59:43 NAS avahi-daemon[3495]: New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Nov 15 06:59:43 NAS avahi-daemon[3495]: Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.
Nov 15 06:59:43 NAS kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): docker0: link is not ready
Nov 15 06:59:47 NAS root: Starting docker_load
Nov 15 06:59:47 NAS emhttpd: nothing to sync

ScreenShot012.thumb.png.8b9cb56296a5ff500603026103fa027a.png

Posting log snippets has no value.  Post your diagnostics.

 

Check that you have the destructive mode enabled in the UD settings.  That might be the issue with the gray format button.

Link to comment
Just now, dlandon said:

Posting log snippets has no value.  Post your diagnostics.

 

Check that you have the destructive mode enabled in the UD settings.  That might be the issue with the gray format button.

Thank you. I am now formatting. The other drive I hit an X-Icon next to the naming box. Now it shows format which I am willing to go through (There was no data). Will report back later.

nas-diagnostics-20181115-0728.zip

Link to comment
Just now, dlandon said:

That makes me suspicious about your network and ip addressing.

 

Why are you setting up a Windows server vm on unraid.  What does that accomplish?

The Windows VM can bring up the UnRaid webui in it's browser just fine.  I have been able to mount the SMB manually in the Linux console and was able to view all the files but when I tried to add it to Plex it just showed the root folder and everything else was empty.

 

The goal of having it setup this way is that I have a DroboElite 8 disk unit that only supports iSCSI. From what I have read UnRaid doesn't support iSCSI so in order to get it working without having to have more hardware then is necessary I thought I would just pass the device through a Windows VM since Windows supports it out of the box and then I can share the device out of Windows back to UnRaid using either SMB or NFS since Windows Server 2016 supports both of those and so does UnRaid. If there is a better option to get iSCSI device passed to docker containers that I'm open to other solutions as well but if I'm not way off my rocker this should just work. Windows share to UnRaid's Unassigned Devices plugin.

 

Thanks Much!

Link to comment
50 minutes ago, fibreiv said:

The Windows VM can bring up the UnRaid webui in it's browser just fine.  I have been able to mount the SMB manually in the Linux console and was able to view all the files but when I tried to add it to Plex it just showed the root folder and everything else was empty.

 

The goal of having it setup this way is that I have a DroboElite 8 disk unit that only supports iSCSI. From what I have read UnRaid doesn't support iSCSI so in order to get it working without having to have more hardware then is necessary I thought I would just pass the device through a Windows VM since Windows supports it out of the box and then I can share the device out of Windows back to UnRaid using either SMB or NFS since Windows Server 2016 supports both of those and so does UnRaid. If there is a better option to get iSCSI device passed to docker containers that I'm open to other solutions as well but if I'm not way off my rocker this should just work. Windows share to UnRaid's Unassigned Devices plugin.

 

Thanks Much!

My guess is that you have the wrong network for the VM. You have probably chosen virbr0 in the vm template. Change it to br0 and you should be able to reach the VM. 

With virbr0 you can reach the network on the outside of the vm, but nothing gets in. 

Link to comment
17 minutes ago, saarg said:

My guess is that you have the wrong network for the VM. You have probably chosen virbr0 in the vm template. Change it to br0 and you should be able to reach the VM. 

With virbr0 you can reach the network on the outside of the vm, but nothing gets in. 

I have network access with both UnRaid and in the Windows VM just fine. But I did check and it is already set to br0.

 

image.png.757e4b71a8a73fa62d036906bc1b7a73.png

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, fibreiv said:

Ok, I can definitely assign a static IP to the docker container but that doesn't address the actual issue that unassigned devices can't mount SMB or NFS shares.

Post your diagnostics.  SMB and NFS share mounting works fine.  There is something unique about your setup that is causing a problem.  I suspect a networking issue.  That's why I suggested a static IP.  You would probably need a static IP address if the VM is a server anyway.

Link to comment
18 hours ago, dlandon said:

Post your diagnostics.  SMB and NFS share mounting works fine.  There is something unique about your setup that is causing a problem.  I suspect a networking issue.  That's why I suggested a static IP.  You would probably need a static IP address if the VM is a server anyway.

Here is my diag file.  Also my Windows Server VM has a static IP already. First thing I did when setting it up. ;)

unraid-diagnostics-20181115-1213.zip

Link to comment
7 hours ago, fibreiv said:

Here is my diag file.  Also my Windows Server VM has a static IP already. First thing I did when setting it up. ;)

unraid-diagnostics-20181115-1213.zip

UD thinks the server is off-line because it does not respond to a ping from UD.

 

UD uses this command to ping:

/bin/ping -c 1 -W 1 ip_address

Try the command and see what the response is from your server.

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

UD thinks the server is off-line because it does not respond to a ping from UD.

 

UD uses this command to ping:


/bin/ping -c 1 -W 1 ip_address

Try the command and see what the response is from your server.

Linux 4.18.17-unRAID.
Last login: Wed Nov 14 13:04:23 -0600 2018 on /dev/pts/0.
root@UnRaid:~# cd /bin
root@UnRaid:/bin# ping
Usage: ping [-aAbBdDfhLnOqrRUvV] [-c count] [-i interval] [-I interface]
            [-m mark] [-M pmtudisc_option] [-l preload] [-p pattern] [-Q tos]
            [-s packetsize] [-S sndbuf] [-t ttl] [-T timestamp_option]
            [-w deadline] [-W timeout] [hop1 ...] destination
root@UnRaid:/bin# ping -c 1 -W 1 192.168.86.5
PING 192.168.86.5 (192.168.86.5) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.86.5: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.431 ms

--- 192.168.86.5 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.431/0.431/0.431/0.000 ms
root@UnRaid:/bin# ^C
root@UnRaid:/bin#

Link to comment
2 hours ago, fibreiv said:

I have confirmed that using mount -t cifs command from the terminal mounts the share just fine and I am able to successfully pass it to my Plex docker container without an issue. It appears that it's just an issue with unassigned devices.

Your diagnostics showed an attempt to mount the shares on Unraid startup.  There may be an issue with that.  There are times when things aren't ready to mount that early in the boot process.  For example your VM might not be running.  Try mounting the share using the 'Mount' button after the array has started.

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Your diagnostics showed an attempt to mount the shares on Unraid startup.  There may be an issue with that.  There are times when things aren't ready to mount that early in the boot process.  For example your VM might not be running.  Try mounting the share using the 'Mount' button after the array has started.

I am not trying to be rude but almost every comment/suggestion I’ve gotten would have been answered if someone review the whole message thread. If you refer to the picture I posted on Wednesday you can see the mount button is grayed out. System is fully booted and I am just trying to mount a share. 

9 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Your diagnostics showed an attempt to mount the shares on Unraid startup.  There may be an issue with that.  There are times when things aren't ready to mount that early in the boot process.  For example your VM might not be running.  Try mounting the share using the 'Mount' button after the array has started.

 

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, fibreiv said:

I am not trying to be rude but almost every comment/suggestion I’ve gotten would have been answered if someone review the whole message thread. If you refer to the picture I posted on Wednesday you can see the mount button is grayed out. System is fully booted and I am just trying to mount a share. 

You are being rude.  You are throwing a lot at me that has been confusing and now getting an attitude.  I'm sorry if I can't follow everything.  You are one of many people asking for help on UD and other plugins and dockers I support.  I do the best I can.

 

I can't reproduce your problem and can't see anything in the code that is causing a problem for you.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, dlandon said:

You are being rude.  You are throwing a lot at me that has been confusing and now getting an attitude.  I'm sorry if I can't follow everything.  You are one of many people asking for help on UD and other plugins and dockers I support.  I do the best I can.

 

I can't reproduce your problem and can't see anything in the code that is causing a problem for you.

Hey, sorry for being rude. Just gotten frustrated that I haven't been able to get this working.  I will put together a detailed summary to try and clear up confusion on my issue. I do appropriate the help.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, fibreiv said:

Hey, sorry for being rude. Just gotten frustrated that I haven't been able to get this working.  I will put together a detailed summary to try and clear up confusion on my issue. I do appropriate the help.

I have UnRaid 6.6.5 running on a Dell R710 server with 1 network card connected to my network and the other directly connected to a DroboElite for iSCSI. I have a Plex Docker container which needs to talk to the Drobo but since UnRaid doesn't support iSCSI I have a Windows 2016 VM setup in UnRaid as well. It has the following configuration and is working perfectly connecting to the internet, my intranet and to the iSCSI Drobo. Network Bridge 1 goes to my network and that's the card that has the IP is connect to to manage. 2nd Network card is bound to 1 card that is a cable between it and the DroboElite. I have that card passed through to the VM. Using the mount -t cifs command I am able to mount the Drobo fine from the terminal so I know all the networking is working and I am also able to add it to the docker container and Plex see the content and it works. It's just the unassigned devices I can't seem to get it mount the share. I use the buttons to populates the server and share and it finds everything ok but it doesn't mount. I have tried both with NFS and SMB shares. NFS it gives me the mount button but doesn't do anything. Log shows this error "nRaid unassigned.devices: Error: Remote SMB/NFS server '192.168.86.5' is offline and share '192.168.86.5://PlexMedia' cannot be mounted." when I try in mount it in the logs. Windows shows the NFS share as 192.168.86.5:/PlexMedia without the second / in it. Not sure if that matters. SMB has the mount button grayed out after adding it. I'm not sure where to go from here with making it work in the webgui. I really didn't want to have to manually do it in the terminal but I can.

Thanks much!

image.png.fe36bf7dff6fa1a7024a386a2991f5ad.png  

image.png.5b2aba71c10d84ac72ea0b554861052a.png

image.png.e73a94ff335fa84d9c37beee981a66df.png

image.thumb.png.ce9d09e3561cec1cfe7d9bea1b55b7fe.png

Link to comment
8 hours ago, fibreiv said:

Hey, sorry for being rude. Just gotten frustrated that I haven't been able to get this working.  I will put together a detailed summary to try and clear up confusion on my issue. I do appropriate the help.

I have UnRaid 6.6.5 running on a Dell R710 server with 1 network card connected to my network and the other directly connected to a DroboElite for iSCSI. I have a Plex Docker container which needs to talk to the Drobo but since UnRaid doesn't support iSCSI I have a Windows 2016 VM setup in UnRaid as well. It has the following configuration and is working perfectly connecting to the internet, my intranet and to the iSCSI Drobo. Network Bridge 1 goes to my network and that's the card that has the IP is connect to to manage. 2nd Network card is bound to 1 card that is a cable between it and the DroboElite. I have that card passed through to the VM. Using the mount -cif

image.png.fe36bf7dff6fa1a7024a386a2991f5ad.png  

image.png.5b2aba71c10d84ac72ea0b554861052a.png

image.png.e73a94ff335fa84d9c37beee981a66df.png

image.thumb.png.ce9d09e3561cec1cfe7d9bea1b55b7fe.png

Link to comment
On 11/14/2018 at 2:10 PM, fibreiv said:

Upgraded to 6.6.5 and tried to readd the SMB share and this is what I get. I even click the "search for servers" and the "load shares" to confirm it was seeing everyting.

image.thumb.png.c8e83788d422ca0c8a328aab58718664.png

First off let me explain some things to you about the people that volunteer here on the forum.  I like many others here have developed and support add on plugins and Dockers to the Unraid OS.  We are NOT paid by LT.  We do ask for contributions to help offset our time and efforts.  That being said, I do appreciate that you are frustrated because your SMB mounts aren't working and I cannot provide instant gratification to solve your problem.  In the future, try not to develop an attitude with any of us.  You will not inspire anyone to help you that way.  In fact you kind of pissed me off.  Try to be patient and provide the information asked for so we can determine a solution.  This is not a full time job for any of the volunteers and we have other commitments.

 

Now, let's go back to your original post and start there.  The basic problem is that UD does not see the server as being on-line.  Did this SMB share mount properly on an earlier version of Unraid and now with 6.6.5 it doesn't?

 

The lookup of the server and its shares is done through the master browser.  That lookup was successful in your case.  After that UD checks that the server is on-line and displays that status on the SMB icon and grays out the 'Mount' button if the server is not on-line.  There is no reason to attempt a mount if the server is off-line - the mount would just fail.  UD checks the server status using ping.  I know you have been successful in pinging the server and manually mounting the share, but UDs logic is missing the server as being on-line.

 

I'm preparing one file with some additional logging so I can try to figure out where UD is missing the server status as being on-line.  Once I get it ready, I'll ask you to install it and run some tests then post the diagnostics.  I can't reproduce the problem so I'll have to depend on you to collect some data for me.

Link to comment
30 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I'm preparing one file with some additional logging so I can try to figure out where UD is missing the server status as being on-line.  Once I get it ready, I'll ask you to install it and run some tests then post the diagnostics.  I can't reproduce the problem so I'll have to depend on you to collect some data for me.

@fibreiv copy the attached file into the /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/include/ directory and then navigate to the UD web page and refresh the screen.  Post your diagnostics.

 

lib.zip

Link to comment
  • trurl pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.