Home assistant


73 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I followed this tutorial from digiblur to install hassio in docker. Evrything works fine for months  

Yep right after I switched over to a VM they came out with native support for an SSD on the pi go figure but no regrets its been rock solid since starting it

@Slaytanic The Hardware info can get kind of bloated on VMs. You can go to integrations page then search for ZHA. Click like you are going to install then the first step before install asks you t

Posted Images

@nicr4wks oh ok ill watch and read up gonna take a couple hours to download  i got slow internet

 

so is the home assistant core like unraid and  the home assist  hasso  is like the community apps for unraid  it has the better version

and how come community apps as home assistant core.. shouldnt it have home assistant hasso   as its better right?  

or can the hasso  be installed into the core so it runs on the docker?  whats the purpose of it there..

so much for being a easy setup  in docker...

 

but for the time being guess ill read those articles to kill time for this to download 

i appreciate the help so far

Link to post

@nicr4wks  i did post on Home assistant forums

there is no Unraid Docker install setup on there

and when i googled  unraid  it gave me the Home Asisstant Unraid page which is this one..  so i posted in here because it Unraid related 

 

and i never use reddit  been told to stay away from reddit..    but ill keep waiting in Home assistant forums then

 

Link to post

It is worth pointing out that any information regarding running the app in a docker container should still apply regardless of the platform hosting docker.    The main thing special about docker on Unraid is the support for templates that make installing and. configuring docker containers easy and the handling of such templates integrated into the Community Applications plugin.

Link to post

@comet424 here is my2c.


Home assistant is in its purest sense is Home Assistant Core. This can typically be installed on any Linux OS (although the HA devs would love to stop supporting that method of installation AFAIK) but it seems to me that the most suggested installation is via Docker. 

 

Hass.io is an OS that comes pre packed with Home Assistant Core AND with Docker running as well as a Docker “Assistant” that can be accessed within Home Assistant Core to manage the containers.  
 

This allows you to install “Addons” like MQTT etc but in essence as it is a Docker implementation you can pretty much install any Docker on it, and people do.
 

This is way Hass.io either is run on a machine (like a Pi or NUC) or a VM in unRAID. 
 

Most people who use unRAID that I know of, myself included, see running a VM, which has an OS and ANOTHER version of Docker (however simple it might be to use that Docker version via the Hass.io assistant) as an unneeded extra layer of virtualisation.

 

Therefore I install my HA related Docker Containers (Hass.io Add-Ons) on unRAID directly and point Home Assistant at them. Yes, I don’t have the fancy Hass.io supervisor but I like the control and don’t mind the extra layer of “complexity” of doing so. By also running on unRAID I can have all the network goodies (like running a Docker container on its own IP etc).
 

There is an argument to suggest that running Hass.io in a VM keeps the whole thing contained and all you have to do to keep your automation hub safe is back up the VM file but I back up everything anyway. 
 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by danioj
Link to post

i new at it all i figured was i load it up in the docker and id have no issues with this program  so i can control 2 raspberry pis with push buttons like on a cell phone icon... so far far docker i dunno how you install the addons  

and using the qcow2 i did that one now and when i install the Node to make click boxes    i was watching youtube video  well that didnt work i get a 02 bad gateway   so i cant win either way lol

 

i figured this home assistant was a better way then trying to find a way of making 2 websites on 2 raspberry pis to run 3 relays on each..    or trying to figure how to run 1 website  on unraid that controls 2 rasp berry pis..    but been a headache  and then i learned of home assistant  but its not panning out either

least at the moment

 

i wanted to go the docker way with the apps..   be nice if the docker version would install the addons  and whatever hass  has   but i havent gotten any farther then install it and try to install Node    gave up after 30 min trying to get Node to work

 

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, comet424 said:

i new at it all i figured was i load it up in the docker and id have no issues with this program  so i can control 2 raspberry pis with push buttons like on a cell phone icon... so far far docker i dunno how you install the addons  

and using the qcow2 i did that one now and when i install the Node to make click boxes    i was watching youtube video  well that didnt work i get a 02 bad gateway   so i cant win either way lol

 

i figured this home assistant was a better way then trying to find a way of making 2 websites on 2 raspberry pis to run 3 relays on each..    or trying to figure how to run 1 website  on unraid that controls 2 rasp berry pis..    but been a headache  and then i learned of home assistant  but its not panning out either

least at the moment

 

i wanted to go the docker way with the apps..   be nice if the docker version would install the addons  and whatever hass  has   but i havent gotten any farther then install it and try to install Node    gave up after 30 min trying to get Node to work

 

 

What do you mean when you say "node" are you trying to create a node red flow? If you are trying to control relays why use a raspberry pi why not wire up a relay bank be it 2 ,4 ,or 8 relays with a nodemcu or a D1 mini and flash it with tasmota integrate with MQTT within homeassistant

Link to post

well the docker  has no apps..   as for node..  i mean    "NODE-RED"  needs to be installed but you cant   there are no options

as i need 6 buttons on the screen  i want 6 buttons like your cell phone  that will be Red for Off and when your click it it will go Green  

now i seen a video you need "Node-Red " running  well Node Red  is only offered on Hassio  Home Assistant..  and i installed that in a VM  but Node-Red doesnt work  its got Fatal Errors.. and i posted on the home assistant site  seeing if they can fix it ..

 

why use raspberry pi?  cuz thats what i have running to control a pump  and some lights ..  i ahve no idea what a nodemcu  or a D1 mini is  

i only know a Arduino and Raspberry Pi.. and prior to this home assistant..  i only know of running apachine on a raspberry pi  and you make a website to toggle a website to turn on and off.. and then i was going to try to get unraid webserver to turn on and off 2 raspberry pis switchs..

 

and since  Ardunios are ok   i dunno if you can do it with an arduino.. and when you google projects..  you only make projects with arduinos or a raspberry pi

so  i wouldnt know anything about a tasmota D1 mini or a nodemcu  dont know anything about those..

 

i still new at this stuff

Link to post

so i looked up D1 mini  and the nodemcu   dunno how you add a Cat5 cable and a power cord to it?  as how you run it with it?  as i need to to run 200 feet away where the raspberry Pi in summer waters the garden..  so the nodemcu  d1 mini need a Cat5 plugged directly  running Garden Pi  software

and then in the house   i run Cat5  i dont bother wifi  as wifi is always unstable   so id want cat5  plugged into to be connected..  as wifi  goes down all the time    so i went with Raspberry pi 4 for the garden app and then controlling relays like light and a pump  because of the website  plus running cron tab to change times when relays come on...  i wouldnt know anything how to do that with those 2 other devices  i not up to date with all that technology

 

but ill look into this more depth  always learning and if ican make it cheaper then a raspberry pi i would

Edited by comet424
Link to post
48 minutes ago, comet424 said:

well the docker  has no apps..   as for node..  i mean    "NODE-RED"  needs to be installed but you cant   there are no options

as i need 6 buttons on the screen  i want 6 buttons like your cell phone  that will be Red for Off and when your click it it will go Green  

now i seen a video you need "Node-Red " running  well Node Red  is only offered on Hassio  Home Assistant..  and i installed that in a VM  but Node-Red doesnt work  its got Fatal Errors.. and i posted on the home assistant site  seeing if they can fix it ..

 

why use raspberry pi?  cuz thats what i have running to control a pump  and some lights ..  i ahve no idea what a nodemcu  or a D1 mini is  

i only know a Arduino and Raspberry Pi.. and prior to this home assistant..  i only know of running apachine on a raspberry pi  and you make a website to toggle a website to turn on and off.. and then i was going to try to get unraid webserver to turn on and off 2 raspberry pis switchs..

 

and since  Ardunios are ok   i dunno if you can do it with an arduino.. and when you google projects..  you only make projects with arduinos or a raspberry pi

so  i wouldnt know anything about a tasmota D1 mini or a nodemcu  dont know anything about those..

 

i still new at this stuff

Well with no wifi your options are limited have tried to install homeassistant directly on your pi this is really leaving unRAID out of the equation and this should be discussed on the homeassistant forums not sure why you are having problems with the qcow2 option I have all of the apps running

 

image.thumb.png.a63454a33e036ff16adfadb4345f83e1.pngimage.png.12a156ab47eaf60cba28a5f0845bfd37.png

image.png.60e72365df6bbe5a92db91049785bf4a.png

Link to post

well thats why i use Raspberry pi  you can run network cable directly to pi.. and you can change your software from any computer with like the ardunio  you can only change your program uploading it..  and i guess thats the same the mini D1  and the other one..

plus you cant run more then 1 program at 1 time and you got that issue where like the arduino  it stuck in an endless loop and you need to know how to program it to not get stuck in an endless loop

 

and i finally got the cow2  file to work.. no what i was saying is  i wanted the Docker version of Home Assistant to have the Node-REd  option  and you cant,.. 

and i asked iin here .because 1.. community apps  home assistant  is a specific for Unraid... since all those apps are only for unraid...

and home assistant webstate hasnt replied.. to adding the Addons to Unraid Docker

 

 

no havent tried the Raspberry pi  Home Assistant   i downloaded  it  because i watched video  you install it on the Raspberry Pi  you snap shot it then you install it on Unraid so it looks like the Raspberry Pi... and   if you install Home assistant on a raspberry pi  that means if the 1 running it goes down then the other pi is usless..  so  thats why i trying to run it on unraid, as a docker full blown all the features.. but apparently you cant.. you can only run full blown  as VM

 

and the video i watched  had to watch another .. you had to change the configuration  of the password   for Node Red to the user account password.. and change SSL  to False from True..

i got that part to work .. but now there are  no inputs.. video talked about  adding a event state change box.. and when you click  it   and goto  Event ID...  you need to add  input_boolen_computer   well that one doesnt exisit  none of them exisit.. just  sun, zone.home,binary_sensors..    

 

so i asked since its an old video from 2019  do you need to add something else

Link to post

https://www.juanmtech.com/get-started-with-node-red-and-home-assistant/  

this the video i followed after to fix the Node-Red but i cant get the input like he has  only sun  binary sensor  home zone and a couple others

 

but guy doesnt even show how he gets home assistant cell phone size display to show up on his screen after he  makes his switch

Edited by comet424
Link to post
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just started moving my to my new unraid server via DigiBlur's supervised container.  I'm struggling with how to point the Hassio media folder to my music share.  Has anyone figured this out? 

 

I never had much luck using this feature in the past but thought it would be easier with unraid since my media and HA are now on the same machine.  

Link to post
12 hours ago, Jayg37 said:

I've just started moving my to my new unraid server via DigiBlur's supervised container.  I'm struggling with how to point the Hassio media folder to my music share.  Has anyone figured this out? 

 

I never had much luck using this feature in the past but thought it would be easier with unraid since my media and HA are now on the same machine.  

Yep I had many problems as well I switched to a VM and never looked back it just works plus since it's the OS version you get the supervisor and access to all the other features like snap shots

Link to post

@mrbilky I would have gone that route if DigiBlur hadn't created a supervised docker container. I enjoy the supervisor function as the non supervised version takes a bit more work. I managed to create symlink to my Music share via

ln -s /var/tmp/testarea/dir1 dir2

root@server:/mnt/user/appdata/hassio/media# ln -s /mnt/user/Music music

This method works as i can navigate to the Music share via SMB but HA refuses to show the Music folder within the media folder. Restarted HA.

Edited by Jayg37
mistyped path for symlink exanple
Link to post
On 3/26/2021 at 9:52 AM, Jayg37 said:

@mrbilky I would have gone that route if DigiBlur hadn't created a supervised docker container. I enjoy the supervisor function as the non supervised version takes a bit more work. I managed to create symlink to my Music share via

ln -s /var/tmp/testarea/dir1 dir2

root@server:/mnt/user/appdata/hassio/media# ln -s /mnt/user/Music music

This method works as i can navigate to the Music share via SMB but HA refuses to show the Music folder within the media folder. Restarted HA.

Yeah I tried that route but it was wonky and had too many issues I tried the recommended settings and just couldn't get a stable instance maybe something I was not doing but the method that I now have has been rock solid for a year or so with no complications related to the VM and I did this with the QCOW VM not sure if that's what makes it stable I install this on top of a linux VM

Link to post

Running HASSIO on Pi2 then Pi3, after 3rd time SD card dead then swith to USB stick ..... With consider upgrade cost of Pi4, finally running in VM on SSD. Response or bootup time really great.

 

I can't believe that writing request was so high, that's why always destory small piece flash media.

Edited by Vr2Io
Link to post
19 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Running HASSIO on Pi2 then Pi3, after 3rd time SD card dead then swith to USB stick ..... With consider upgrade cost of Pi4, finally running in VM on SSD. Response or bootup time really great.

 

I can't believe that writing request was so high, that's why always destory small piece flash media.

Yep right after I switched over to a VM they came out with native support for an SSD on the pi go figure but no regrets its been rock solid since starting it

Link to post
  • 4 weeks later...

So i tried the digiblur supervised docker version and was unable to get the stability out of it that i need in a home automation system. Mainly containers would orphan or stop then not come back online. So i moved to a VM on my unraid server. 

I followed the videos online but for some reason every time i take a snapshot (using HA snapshot tool) my USB zigbee serial device is removed from the VM. I have to edit the VM (not really do anything as the USB is checked for passthrough still) then restart and all is good...until the next time.

 

Edit: Just created another snapshot to grab logs and could not replicate the USB being removed. I'm puzzled as to why it get's removed from HA? I'll update if i can replicate the issue.

 

What am i missing and why does the USB port get removed from my VM?

This has been great going from my RPI4 but it has to work consistently. 

 

Side note: i cannot edit the VM icon without the USB passthrough disappearing as well. I can only get one or the other...icon or usb. odd behavior. 

image.png.7e8b4d05ab32f6ae3cdf97a0136bd081.png

image.png.43fca41ee5f04cdd89302a36639a9dd4.png

image.png.26e01276e5e898a9f75dd76d83de249c.png

Edited by Jayg37
Link to post

@Jayg37  i not sure.. i have it running in unraid VM

i used 

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/ha-os-on-unraid/59959

i copied the qcow2 file to a directory on the VMS's  and then resized the drive to 20gb   and started it up and it runs stable 

im running it on a Asus Tuf Gaming Board x570 board with 3600x  

i also found i needed to do 4GB of ram   i found setting it at 2GB  didnt run right.. id try jumping from 2 to 4.. it can run on 2gb on a real pi  but i found i couldnt do it on the VM

 

so give it a try  

resize 4GB to 20GB  once you set it up and set it to 4gb ram  not the 2gb   it may work then for your USB

 

also there is section in unraid  you do the break up all the usbs soundcard etc  into different groups i forget what it that is at the moment  but give that a try upgrade ram etc

 

ive been running like 6 months now  stable  

 

i also followed this video too  but jumped ahead as we dont need to rename   the file

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbzZjnCSEjs

 

and and dijiblur guy also installed that version as a docker  not a VM 

unless hes got another video.. as when i did my VM    there was no supervised home assistant.. just core

so i running the Home Assistant OS   not Supervised  as i run it as a VM

 

 

Edited by comet424
Link to post

Thanks for the reply @comet424

I've upped my disk size to 32gb and my ram to 4gb. i wasn't able to figure out the grouping you mentioned but will continue to look. 

Quote

also there is section in unraid  you do the break up all the usbs soundcard etc  into different groups i forget what it that is at the moment  but give that a try upgrade ram etc

 

I'll post up if the usb issue occurs again. 

 

Edited by Jayg37
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.