Drive Error Red X

GTP

47 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

Ok, you probably have an issue with the boot order in BIOS.

Are you sure that the Flash drive is the first (and ideally the only) boot device ?

@ChatNoir Positive, I have attached screenshots of the bios boot screen and some other screenshots where it seems to be searching HBA 0 and 1. Thank you for taking a look at this. I have no idea what I am doing wrong the firmware is updated. I have checked all the connections and I even started the server with just the flash drive inserted and UNRAID booted up fine. 

Best,

-GTP 

20200911_172924.jpg

20200911_172910.jpg

20200911_172904.jpg

20200911_172902.jpg

20200911_122435.jpg

@here Should I create a new post for the boot error? The parity rebuild could still exist once I boot up so I don't want to mark this ticket as solved yet. I am happy to create a new post with just this issue so I can at least start the array to troubleshoot?

Thank you all for your help!

-GTP

3 hours ago, GTP said:

I have checked all the connections and I even started the server with just the flash drive inserted and UNRAID booted up fine. 

BIOS sometimes tries to "help" when you add disks and changes the boot device. Make sure it is still trying to boot from flash after you connect the disks.

2 hours ago, GTP said:

Should I create a new post for the boot error?

No let's just keep it on this thread.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Some BIOS have issues when there are many other possible boot devices, you don't need the BIOS on the LSI, disable OPT ROM BIOS on the board BIOS, if that doesn't work to suppress the HBA BIOS you can delete them from the HBAs since they are not needed for Unraid, and it will make booting faster anyway.

@JorgeB @trurl That was it! Disabling the OPT ROM BIOS on the board bios solved the boot issue. I am now booting fine and running a parity sync before I switch out my 8tb for my 12tb. Thank you all for your help I will post this as solved once the Parity Sync is complete.

Thank you both for your help again!

@trurl maybe we can chat about the other issue I have before I close the ticket, let me know how you would like to proceed. :)

-GTP

• Like 1
On 9/12/2020 at 5:57 AM, GTP said:

@JorgeB @trurl That was it! Disabling the OPT ROM BIOS on the board bios solved the boot issue. I am now booting fine and running a parity sync before I switch out my 8tb for my 12tb. Thank you all for your help I will post this as solved once the Parity Sync is complete.

Thank you both for your help again!

@trurl maybe we can chat about the other issue I have before I close the ticket, let me know how you would like to proceed. :)

-GTP

Ok everyone the Parity Sync has completed, I have posted diagnostics below. Everything looks green and healthy. I have posted the diagnostics I ran after completing the Parity Sync. If you say the diagnostics look good I will call this ticket SOLVED. Thank you for all your help everyone @trurl@JorgeB, you both really saved me. Thank you!

PS I still need to switch out the keyboard sorry @trurl I will do that tomorrow and rerun diagnostics if you would like.

Best,

-GTP 

tower-diagnostics-20200915-0028.zip

@JorgeB @trurl Just one quick question before I mark this issue as solved. Why are some of my shares showing as unprotected anfter I just completed the Parity Sync? I have attached a screenshot below. Thank you again. 

@trurl As far as the optimizations that you recommended, would you like me to open up a different ticket? I would like to implement all your recommendations once you have time.

Thank you,

-GTP

Windows Shares.png

Edited by GTP
Forgot screenshot and ?
5 minutes ago, GTP said:

I have attached a screenshot below.

Attachment seems to have not happened. If any of the files for a user share are on cache, and cache has no redundancy, you will get that warning. I have no redundancy on one of my pools (appdata, etc) but it is backed up.

5 minutes ago, GTP said:

As far as the optimizations that you recommended, would you like me to open up a different ticket? I would like to implement all your recommendations once you have time.

Might as well keep the discussion here. Let me know when you have time.

@trurl Sorry I forgot the attachment in my first post (I edited it) I have time now if you are available? Or anytime today, I just have one meeting this afternoon. Actually, you are the expert here, when you have time let me know and I will make myself available. You have gone above and beyond what is expected from a forum. No worries, no hurry!

Best,

-GTP

Edited by GTP
Clarification

I started the Parity sync for the new larger Parity disk I bought so I guess I shouldn't make any changes until that completes, thanks again for your help! I will get back to you as soon as it completes the new Parity sync. I have the old Parity disk as unassigned so if anything goes wrong I have a backup. Exciting to be growing the array to start using 12TB disks!

Best,

-GTP

On 9/15/2020 at 3:39 PM, GTP said:

ok thank you for the advice I will fix that after the Parity Sync

Just setting appdata, domains, system to cache-prefer won't be enough to get them moved to cache, because mover can't move open files.

When parity sync completes post new diagnostics and we can review where you stand and how to proceed.

• Thanks 1
On 9/16/2020 at 8:33 PM, trurl said:

Just setting appdata, domains, system to cache-prefer won't be enough to get them moved to cache, because mover can't move open files.

When parity sync completes post new diagnostics and we can review where you stand and how to proceed.

Parity Sync has finished, Diagnostics posted below for you review when you have time. I still have the old Parity drive installed in the machine I did not format it yet so I have a backup. It is just unmounted.

Thank you

-GTP

tower-diagnostics-20200918-0827.zip

6 hours ago, GTP said:

I still have the old Parity drive installed in the machine I did not format it yet

What are your plans for that disk, a new data slot?

On 9/16/2020 at 9:33 PM, trurl said:

appdata, domains, system shares have files on the array. This will impact performance of dockers / VMs due to slower parity, and will keep array disks spunup since dockers / VMs will have open files on these.

Your docker.img has 150G allocated, and is using 26G of that. I normally recommend only 20G as being more than enough. I have 17 dockers and they are using less than half of 20G. Are you sure you don't have some app misconfigured so it is writing to a path that isn't mapped? Common mistakes are specifying paths in the app using different upper/lower case than mapped container paths.

Which dockers do you run?

Do you have custom docker networks such as with letsencrypt / SWAG?