[SOLVED] Help with network access

Good Afternoon:

I'm a new user and having issues with network access.  I have reviewed a couple threads and viewed spaceinvader's windows SMB video.

I have three Windows 10 PCs.  The two running Home edition seem to point to new Unraid box ok.  A third (work computer running PRO or EDU - unclear) does not.  All same network.  

The issue - the Unraid box not appear in the network tab - even after activating network discovery.  I have tried to map the drive by IP, and no joy.  (Network Path Not Found).  The GUI does show in a web browser. 

From what I gather - I need to enable guest login. 

What security issues am I creating?  And is there another option?  (I don't want to make Reg edits on a machine owned by her job, and am not sure I even can).

Thanks - appreciate the help.  The goal here is have a network box so she can backup work files.

Edited by Chester

2 hours ago, Chester said:

A third (work computer running PRO or EDU - unclear) does not.  All same network.  

IF this computer is actually administered by your company, they may have put policies in place designed to prevent you from doing exactly what you are trying to do!  If this is the case, you should be checking to see if you are allowed to bypass those!

If it just a WIN10 PRO (or EDU) computer that you own that you use for business, you should be aware that WIN10 home is configured by MS a bit differently than the other varieties of Win10.  I would suggest that you read this thread backwards.  Basically, the reason for working backwards is that the latest 'fixes' are for the most recent updates that MS has pushed out.  I have linked to the last page for your convenience:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/page/8/

Since you are a new user, you might also want to read the first couple of pages (of this thread) for general background information on SMB Windows 10 networking. 

Thanks guys - it's appearing as a network location now - and is returning a different network error about needing a network share.  (I made no changes other than a restart and need to look into the error more).  (It's a laptop with a local IP 192.168.x.xx on our home network)

My plan is to attempt to use the credential manager to force a login to the public share on the UNRAID box.  My thinking is that if I can match the widows user name and UNRAID user account name it might work.

This is about a far as I'm willing to go on a work PC without making a phone call.

24 minutes ago, Chester said:

My thinking is that if I can match the widows user name and UNRAID user account name it might work.

read through this:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

IT has the many pitfalls that folks can run into with SMB login issues.

33 minutes ago, Chester said:

Thanks guys - it's appearing as a network location now - and is returning a different network error about needing a network share.  (I made no changes other than a restart and need to look into the error more).  (It's a laptop with a local IP 192.168.x.xx on our home network)

Have a look here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77442-cannot-connect-to-unraid-shares-from-windows-10/

This has worked for a lot of folks.  I believe that MS's current default is disabled for this setting.  When you read the previous thread, you will find that even though you have a login to the server, you may well end up with access to a share using 'guest' (or public) privileges.  (Again, know your employer policy is about the use your company computer in a home environment (or for personal use).  If security is a important issue to your employer, they should have setup your work computer with restrictions on your account so you could not access these security settings to change them.   If security is not that big a deal, they might not have locked things down.  However, if the written company policy prevents you from doing certain things, you could still be in hot water if anything goes south.)

Thanks folks.  So after adding a Windows Credential for the UNRAID user, I was able to point to access it using the local IP address.  I created a shortcut and dropped that on the Desktop.  This will at least allow the user to open a directory and drag files. 

Oddly, I was not able to create a Network location - the error said something about Windows needing a share.  I'm not a networking guru by any means, but I'm guessing if I also include the next level directory (ie - the share directory), it might work.  But calling it solved for my purposes.