• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, CrazeyGranpa47 said:

I have absolutely no idea

If you don't know if you have backups then I would say you don't have backups.

Many of us don't backup everything on our large capacity servers, but you absolutely must have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable, preferably on another system or at least external disks.

Make a backup plan and follow it.

In fact, I would say making that extra copy of anything important and irreplaceable is the very first priority. You get to decide what qualifies as important and irreplaceable.

Hi Constructor yes you are right there should be a back-up plan, the thing is what's to lose, did I not read somewhere that the operation of this sort of set up can be run from a flash drive? Either way please let me know what I should do so I can get this sorted and most importantly get the downloads issue sorted so I can get my kids and grandkids off of my back because they dont have the latest TV thing they are watching.

Hi Constructor yes you are right there should be a back-up plan, the thing is what's to lose, if your on about all the files well that would require a huge storage the OS however is on a firestick????

I've been back in today and found the path/downloads info was wrong and I've corrected that.
There were other issues too like hydra had been disabled and that I've sorted.
Then there was changes made to my own particular quality requirements, these were all changed by a chap who said he knew what he was doing.

Anyway the good news is I'm up and running again and what's more I've been able to free up more space. I've also done some research about my set up and adding/replacing hard drives should not be too big an issue.

So can I close by thanking you all for your help it has been a bit of a learning curve but one that is worth it.      

1 hour ago, CrazeyGranpa47 said:

there should be a back-up plan, the thing is what's to lose, if your on about all the files well that would require a huge storage the OS however is on a firestick????

The archives of the OS are on the flash drive and those archives are easily downloaded again since they only change when a new version of Unraid is released. Those archives are unpacked fresh into RAM at each boot, and the OS runs in RAM.

Your configuration (disk assignments, docker settings, other settings) are also on that flash drive along with your Unraid license. All of your configuration is in the config folder on flash. It is very important to have a current backup of flash. You can download a zipped backup of your flash drive at any time by going to Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup. The CA Backup plugin will also allow you to make scheduled backups of flash and appdata.

As for what else to backup with regard to your huge storage, I already discussed that just a few posts above:

15 hours ago, trurl said:

Many of us don't backup everything on our large capacity servers, but you absolutely must have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable...

... You get to decide what qualifies as important and irreplaceable.