[Support] ich777 - Jellyfin AMD/Intel/Nvidia [DEPRECATED]

On 7/18/2022 at 1:00 AM, ich777 said:

It does need those entries in the template.

You can always visit my Nvidia Driver support thread and look at the second post where I've provided step by step instructions for Emby/Jellyfin/Plex on how to add those to the template.

I have followed those instructions and by unraid server is using my Nvidia P400 graphics card but I do notice that the CPU is being used. Far more than what would be used if I played the same video with Plex.

Not really sure what I have done wrong.

1 hour ago, bobalot said:

I have followed those instructions and by unraid server is using my Nvidia P400 graphics card but I do notice that the CPU is being used. Far more than what would be used if I played the same video with Plex.

Is your GPU used too?

Please keep in mind that Jellyfin doesn't throttle the transcode where on the other hand Plex by default does throttle the transcode.

It may be the case that the Audio transcode hitting your CPU hard for a little while and then should drop after a few minutes when the transcode form the Audio stream is done.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2022 at 6:30 PM, ich777 said:

Is your GPU used too?

Please keep in mind that Jellyfin doesn't throttle the transcode where on the other hand Plex by default does throttle the transcode.

It may be the case that the Audio transcode hitting your CPU hard for a little while and then should drop after a few minutes when the transcode form the Audio stream is done.

Yes, it is being used.

I do have transcode throttling on. 

There is a spike of CPU activity which does drop off. However, for whatever reason, the CPU load on jellyfin is higher than plex from what I can tell.

2 hours ago, bobalot said:

I do have transcode throttling on. 

But I think you don‘t know that throttling doesn‘t work in Jellyfin…

AFAIK the developer had to turn it off because it caused issues and it always transcodes full blast, no matter what you‘ve selected.

2 hours ago, bobalot said:

There is a spike of CPU activity which does drop off. However, for whatever reason, the CPU load on jellyfin is higher than plex from what I can tell.

I really can‘t help there and this would be also be better suited in the Jellyfin GitHub Issue tracker than in my support thread because I only gave support for the Docker kind of things.

Over there they can help you for sure but keep also in mind that you have to provide a bit more information (trascoding logs,…).

• 1 month later...

So I switched to the official docker but can't get intel quicksync working. Whenever I try and use hardware transcoding it fails to do it and says the format is unsupported.

Set it following the directions from the original docker (install intel_gpu_top and /dev/dri in config)

1 minute ago, tknx said:

So I switched to the official docker but can't get intel quicksync working. Whenever I try and use hardware transcoding it fails to do it and says the format is unsupported.

Have you also passed through /dev/dri as a device and not as path, what are your transcoding settings in Jellyfin, what is the exact path that is specified there? Have you yet tried to use VA-API instead of QuickSync?

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Have you also passed through /dev/dri as a device and not as path, what are your transcoding settings in Jellyfin, what is the exact path that is specified there? Have you yet tried to use VA-API instead of QuickSync?

Switching to VAAPI seemed to fix it. Let me do some more experimenting to see what is going on

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
37 minutes ago, Grunzochse said:

Can I use the hardware transcoding feature of my AMD APU (AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G) in Jellyfin also with Unraid OS 6.12.0-rc3 or is it only available for Unraid OS 6.9.0beta35+?

Yes.

I don't understand... Unraid version 6.12.0-rc3 comes after 6.9.0beta35, so to speak everything greater or equal Unraid version 6.9.0beta35 will work with the APUs, so to speak 6.9.x, 6.10.x, 6.11.x, 6.12.x,...

But you have to understand that my container is now depricated and that you have to use the official one since it supports now AMD APUs properly and you should ask in the support thread from the container maintainer which is available in the CA App.

BTW I would recommend that you use the official one.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Yes.

I don't understand... Unraid version 6.12.0-rc3 comes after 6.9.0beta35, so to speak everything greater or equal Unraid version 6.9.0beta35 will work with the APUs, so to speak 6.9.x, 6.10.x, 6.11.x, 6.12.x,...

But you have to understand that my container is now depricated and that you have to use the official one since it supports now AMD APUs properly and you should ask in the support thread from the container maintainer which is available in the CA App.

BTW I would recommend that you use the official one.

I wasn't sure if the AMD drivers were still included in Unraid or if this was only the case for this particular beta version. My problem is that when I turn on hardware transcoding in Jellyfin, the videos are not transcoded. I tried via your instructions for AMD to enable the drivers (modprobe amdgpu), but there is no response to this command in the terminal. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Sorry, I'm completely new to the Unraid topic....

10 minutes ago, Omri said:

Just a silly question

Why the official one and not linuxserver, any benefits?

I am currently using the Linuxserver container, is that perhaps the problem?

43 minutes ago, Omri said:

Why the official one and not linuxserver, any benefits?

If you read back in the thread users had issues with it in the past and the official one supports all vendors so far (AMD/Intel/Nvidia) and it seems that @Grunzochse also has issues with it.

31 minutes ago, Grunzochse said:

I am currently using the Linuxserver container, is that perhaps the problem?

Maybe, I can confirm that the official one (I think the one from Smartphonelover's repo is the official one) supports AMD/Intel/Nvidia.

That's why I recommended the official container on the first page from this topic.

31 minutes ago, Grunzochse said:

I wasn't sure if the AMD drivers were still included in Unraid or if this was only the case for this particular beta version. My problem is that when I turn on hardware transcoding in Jellyfin, the videos are not transcoded. I tried via your instructions for AMD to enable the drivers (modprobe amdgpu), but there is no response to this command in the terminal. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Sorry, I'm completely new to the Unraid topic....

I deprecated my container in favor to the official one since I use it too for testing purposes and my container only existed because they haven't got support for it initially.

You don't need to enable the driver anymore this is done by Unraid itself, you an also install RadeonTOP from the CA App in combination with the GPU Statistics plugin to see the utilization in your Unraid Dashboard.

12 minutes ago, Omri said:

Linuxserver's image requires special parameters

But why do you want to use a container where you need more parameters than in the official one? Documentation

In the official one is enough to pass through /dev/dri as a device... done... this is for me personally a benefit TBH.

In my opinion the argument to save space in the Docker image isn't even valid anymore nowadays and the official container, as said above supports AMD/Intel and Nvidia, all in one.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Omri said:

Linuxserver has their advantages :)

docker mods is defiently one of them

Sure the Docker mods have their advantages but in this case it seems to me that this is actually a downside because less experienced users will have issues and this is not a seamless experience.

In my opinion a container should be fully functional, support all the features from the application that runs inside of the container and deliver all needed dependendencies, which in this case it doesn‘t do.

Most users will look into the documentation from the application itself (Jellyfin) and not in the documentation from the container maintainer, I think you get the point. ;)

Anyways, this is not the right place to discuss this since my container was deprecated a long time ago. I still recommend the official container since it just works. :)

• ich777 locked this topic