X8SIL-F, IPMI question

I'm just getting started with my new UnRAID install, using the above MoBo. I am currently connected to the network via 1 of the "normal" ethernet connections, as I don't really know what I'm doing with IPMI. If I decide to connect to the IPMI ethernet jack, will this now cause any problems? It seems like having the IPMI connection is preferred so I want to have the option of using it when I figure it out. Thanks.

I'm just getting started with my new UnRAID install, using the above MoBo. I am currently connected to the network via 1 of the "normal" ethernet connections, as I don't really know what I'm doing with IPMI. If I decide to connect to the IPMI ethernet jack, will this now cause any problems? It seems like having the IPMI connection is preferred so I want to have the option of using it when I figure it out. Thanks.

Does your board have the dedicated IPMI jack?  If so you can connect a cable to each ethernet port (the IPMI one and the eth0 one) and not cause any problems.

Even with that being said, you do not need to use the dedicated port on the board.  If the board can not establish a connection on the dedicated port it will go over the same ethernet port you are using.  IPMI has its own separate IP address that you will have to figure out (look in your router for it) or use something like IPMIView 2.0 to connect to the IPMI that is running on your motherboard.

IPMI is a dedicated link, with its own IP address to the host and offers access to its embedded functions only.

That means, the operating system will not "see" that link/connection.

You cannot use it for any service offered by software (i.e. unRAID) running on that box.

The other way however is possible. You can, for example, mount an external ISO via IPMI that

will then appear as a removable (usb-cdrom-)device attached to your board and it will be visible

inside your OS (if usb-drivers exist).

In case of the X8SIL-F, the IPMI link is a dedicated one, so you will need an extra cable to your switch/router

in order to make use of it.

In case of the X8SIL-F, the IPMI link is a dedicated one, so you will need an extra cable to your switch/router

The X8SIL-F-O that I set up for a customer worked with only one cable connected to eth0.  I could clearly see 2 IP address and 2 different MAC address coming from the one connection.

here, from the IPMIview Docs:

In Supermicro’s IPMI solution, a BMC shares the LAN1 NIC on the mainboard. (If there are more than one LAN Ports on the mainboard, LAN1 is the one near Keyboard/Mouse Port.) The NIC will re-route the IPMI packet to the BMC instead of forwarding it to the upper layer network protocol stacks (as other protocol packets do).

Seems to indicate that If I use the Lan1 port (IPMI) I would only need 1 cable. Prostuffs comment seems to verify that. Correct? Sorry, this is all very new and confusing to me.

The X8SIL-F-O that I set up for a customer worked with only one cable connected to eth0.  I could clearly see 2 IP address and 2 different MAC address coming from the one connection.

Hmmm...haven't tested it.

I think you can setup fail-over or the like in the BIOS section for IPMI.

As far as I recall, when the box is switched off, the two "normal" NICs get deactivated (no lights)

and the dedicated one for IPMI still sees the switch and keeps up the connection.

But that might not apply if you allow for shared access in the BIOS.

Anyway, the dedicated link gives you extra bandwidth to use, i.e. when using the remote console

or a mapped drive from remote.

Seems to indicate that If I use the Lan1 port (IPMI) I would only need 1 cable. Prostuffs comment seems to verify that. Correct? Sorry, this is all very new and confusing to me.

Correct.  IPMI is shared across the first ethernet port, just like he stated.  You only need one cable for both ethernet and IPMI as long as you connect to the first ethernet port.

here, from the IPMIview Docs:

In Supermicro’s IPMI solution, a BMC shares the LAN1 NIC on the mainboard. (If there are more than one LAN Ports on the mainboard, LAN1 is the one near Keyboard/Mouse Port.) The NIC will re-route the IPMI packet to the BMC instead of forwarding it to the upper layer network protocol stacks (as other protocol packets do).

I have seen this with my X7SPA-HF which does not come with a dedicated port.

As for you referencing the manuals, I personally wouldn't rely on the quality of

that or its applicability to an individual motherboard series.

Just give it a try, I'd say...you cannot do damage to your installation.

Using only one NIC saves some energy.

If you make use of IPMI a lot during normal operations, sharing the

connection will cost you bandwidth.

Some network switches might block you, if there are two MAC addresses

on a single line/port (intruder alert), but you'll find these setups inside an

enterprise and not in a typical unRAID home.

I have currently have the IPMI (from dedicated nic) directly connected to my pc (without an router).

you do need to setup ip in the bios first. not sure if you can reach IPMI throught eth0. would be interesting to find out

i did read somewhere on the net about IPMI getting hacked when it was on a shared network tho I'm not sure how serious this threat is.

maybe you already know this but you can directly login into you ipmi by typing your ip in your browser or you can use ipmi view.

the browser will time out the login after a while ipmi view will not.

OK, plugged into the LAN1 port and ifconfig (eth0, or eth1) does not show any connection. Went to BIOS setup and settings for IPMI seem correct, it gives the MAC address, IPMI version etc... indicates 'channel 01' so I figured I'd try eth1. Any ideas?

just popped a switch in there to have both the IPMI port and a "normal" LAN port connected port - still no indication that the IPMI port is active.

I was also able to find IPMI on eth0 when unpugging the dedicated link, great tip!

less wires :)

by this do you mean by unplugging the LAN 1 port (near the mouse.keyboard ports to the left) or unplugging the "normal" LAN port on the right side?

OK, answered my own questions-you DO NOT need the dedicated port (on the left). Seems to be working well now, thanks for all your help.

I have an older Supermicro MB with 2 NICs. IPMI works on either NIC. Network data only works on eth0. IPMI and IP can share eth0.