unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta6a Available

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have encountered something that imo isn't very intuitive.  Can someone let me know if this is expected behavior?

I used to have 11 drives in my array (including parity).  I have 5 shares total, 2 of which used of disks 1-8.  2 other shares are confined to a single disk (disk9) and the final share is my TimeMachine disk (disk10).  Things were working fine; files were going to the correct shares via AFP (thanks v5!).

However, I recently added a new disk to my array (disk11).  Things weren't being saved to that share (not even folders created) so I started moving things manually to consolidate some of my high-water "splits", thinking the presence of folders would get things going.  Unfortunately, it didn't help and it now seems that after moving folders/files to disk11, they disappear from the shares.

Here's my setup.

disk1-8, used in pool for my 2 "main" shares

- both shares exclude: disk9,disk10 (no include rule)

disk 9, used for 2 shares

- 2 shares include disk9 (no exclude rule)

disk 10, used for 1 share (Time Machine)

- shares include disk10 (no exclude rule)

disk 11, added recently, trying to use in main pool along with disks1-8, but array doesn't "see".

I haven't explicitly included disks (for my main 2 shares) or excluded disks (for my shares on disk9 & 10) since in the research I've found has said that it's not necessary. However, I guess I can try that next.  Also, in addition to the manual moving, I have subsequently performed the permissions change (utils > new permissions), but am still not seeing the moved files in my main shares.

I haven't restarted yet, so I can post a syslog if someone thinks it'll be useful.

thanks

-alex

I've noticed since upgrading, that even though my disks display MBR 4k aligned, my array does not start automatically on boot like it used to.  Anything I need to do to ensure this?

Was I supposed to remove super.dat from my config folder? I just read a few posts, and something in release notes may have mentioned that? Can I just stop my array, back it up, and restart and see what happens?

Also, I set openSSH to auto_install, but it does not every time I reboot--i have to re-install it through myMenu.

I would also like to turn off password logins for openSSH, and just use public/private keys to login.  I suppose root would be the only login, but could I create a non-root user to login, then just su - root once I'm in? (to keep it a little more secure).  I see that istat is a user, but I'd prefer they are not able to login through SSH--but if that's the only non-root user that I can use, then I'll do use that.  

I see that there's some configuration under /etc/ssh/, so could I just modify that, copy to the flash drive, and add to the go script to copy back, or is there a way to configure the openSSH install such that I can customize the configuration? Nevermind, found the configs on the flash drive.

Thank you!

Like Zaxxan I cannot get unmenu to install packages on boot where as it worked fine up to an dincluding 4.7.

Here is my GO script.

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

#unMENU

cd /boot/unmenu

./uu

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

# Run Subsonic and add Backup Job.

/boot/scripts/subsonic_start.sh

/boot/scripts/cron_subsonic_copy_from_memory.sh

#PS3 Mediaserver

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms/mencoder

installpkg *.t[gx]z

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms

./PMS.sh

Anything I can add to make things work?  I assume perhaps some pauses between commands as I think maybe something isn't being given enough time to load/start but I am Slackware illiterate an a Linux nove at best.

Thanks in advance,

Kryspy

Like Zaxxan I cannot get unmenu to install packages on boot where as it worked fine up to an dincluding 4.7.

Can you tell us what packages you are auto-installing?

I've discovered two things today, while experimenting with running a mailserver on unRAID (but I'm not sure that these are peculiar to Vers 5):

1) The physical drives don't appear to be ready for use at the time that the auto-installs are invoked - if a script tries to access a drive, it bombs out.

2) If one auto-install script fails, the subsequent ones don't get invoked.

I suspect that one of the packages you are auto-installing is incompatible with unRAID 5, and that is preventing the rest of the packages from installing.

I had this problem, too.  Do you install OpenSSH? Because this depends on OpenSSL, and it sorts the packages prior to installing, and OpenSSH attempts to install before OpenSSL.  I modified my script to install OpenSSL first in the "if" condition checking if openssl is running.

I have a question, if I am building a new UNRAID rig from scratch. Can i go right ahead and use 5.0B6a? and use the preclear script? will i run into any issues with MBR's? whats the best way to super-clean the MBR etc so its perfect for UNRAID. I am wanting to have 10 1.5TB WDEARS HDDs in one pool with two shares passed through to my Xeon xserve using NFS. its my hope to have my xserve share out the NFS shares over SMB and AFP, i can also use OS X to manage the ACL's

Is all that possible with this beta?

I will be using 6 onboard SATA and 4 from an IBM Br10i

cheers

well that crashed and burned. turns out ACL's are only supported in NFSv4 which im unsure how to set Unraid to use NFSv4 along with OSX. does anyone know what version of NFS the 5.0b6a is using or how to find out?

does anyone know what version of NFS the 5.0b6a is using or how to find out?

Well, I've had to disable NFS4 on my client machines in order to avoid annoying messages in the unRAID syslog, so I'm guessing that unRAID is restricted to NFSv3.

does anyone know what version of NFS the 5.0b6a is using or how to find out?

Well, I've had to disable NFS4 on my client machines in order to avoid annoying messages in the unRAID syslog, so I'm guessing that unRAID is restricted to NFSv3.

Ive now decided to just have AFP & SMB on my unRAID box and have it separate from my initial plan of  unRAID Bbox  -> NFS -> Xserve -> (reshare via AFP/SMB) -> Clients.

now my issue is avahi and my finder shares having "Tower" and "Tower-SMB" , just need to remove the announcing of SMB via avahi and im set.

thanks to all who have been great at providing answers to my questions :) I am now a proud unRAID user and also converted my parents over to the idea of using unRAID for there movie collection.

Why disable Tower-SMB from your Finder shares? I just want SMB to only show drives on my Mac,since I'll use AFP for the shares.  I don't think AFP can show the direct drives, can it? I only see it in SMB now.

I'll need SMB for the Popcorn Hour and any other non-Mac devices.

Why disable Tower-SMB from your Finder shares? I just want SMB to only show drives on my Mac,since I'll use AFP for the shares.  I don't think AFP can show the direct drives, can it? I only see it in SMB now.

Sorry, I want to use SMB for my windows clients and XBMC. and AFP for my xserve to talk to the Unraid box and to move files to (thanks Sickbeard!) only issue (more an eyesore) is avahi announces SMB to mac cleints so i see two entries in the finder shares area "Tower" (the one i want) and "Tower-SMB" now i want SMB but dont want it announced via avahi.

Why disable Tower-SMB from your Finder shares? I just want SMB to only show drives on my Mac,since I'll use AFP for the shares.  I don't think AFP can show the direct drives, can it? I only see it in SMB now.

Sorry, I want to use SMB for my windows clients and XBMC. and AFP for my xserve to talk to the Unraid box and to move files to (thanks Sickbeard!) only issue (more an eyesore) is avahi announces SMB to mac cleints so i see two entries in the finder shares area "Tower" (the one i want) and "Tower-SMB" now i want SMB but dont want it announced via avahi.

Just turn off Avahi in the go script. I'm presuming it should be that easy.

/etc/rc.d/rc.avahidaemon stop

etc/rc.d/rc.avahidnsconfd stop

Why disable Tower-SMB from your Finder shares? I just want SMB to only show drives on my Mac,since I'll use AFP for the shares.  I don't think AFP can show the direct drives, can it? I only see it in SMB now.

Just turn off Avahi in the go script. I'm presuming it should be that easy.

/etc/rc.d/rc.avahidaemon stop

etc/rc.d/rc.avahidnsconfd stop

That seems to remove both entries all together I want to somehow script the removal of the "Tower-SMB" in otherwords, stop avahi announcing the SMB shares to Mac clients. I can manually connect to the smb by "connecting to server..." and using smb://Tower/Media etc

Why not share over SMB via Xserve as well? That would be a lot simpler, essentially meaning you can replicate the shares on both platforms with minimal fuss.

I do understand that SMB that comes with 10.6 isn't a current version, but unless you're binding Windows 7 clients to the PDC then I suggest that you don't complicate things and use it.

Otherwise, I guess you can edit the avahi config files to remove the entry for -smb.

Ummm ... what Popcorn Hour?  The 200 series definitely work, arguably better, with nfs.  I don't have any 100 series, so can't speak for those.

Well, if I put YAMJ on a Cache drive, and use symbolic links, apparently I need to use Samba.

I may just put the Jukebox output on the same share as my TV Shows/Movies, then I can use NFS since I wouldn't require symbolic links.

Edit: And it's the A-110

Why not share over SMB via Xserve as well? That would be a lot simpler, essentially meaning you can replicate the shares on both platforms with minimal fuss.

I do understand that SMB that comes with 10.6 isn't a current version, but unless you're binding Windows 7 clients to the PDC then I suggest that you don't complicate things and use it.

Otherwise, I guess you can edit the avahi config files to remove the entry for -smb.

I think i may have confused people.

here was my initial plan:

(but found that i cant see ACL's on NFSv3 so im stuck with basic POSIX permisions and dont want to mess with unRIAD (everything owned by root system)

If unraid supported NFSv4 (along with 10.6.6 supporting ACL's via NFSv4 then i would be very happy). but for now i have simplified things as shown in the bottom example) If unRAID has iSCSI for usershares i would be over the moon!

Unraid ----NFS---- Xserve--------------AFP----- Mac Clients

|                            |                  |

Movies                  Software          |

TV                        Games            --SMB-----PC/Linux Clients (Mac as well if i mount smb://tower)

Music                    Backups

Doco's                Downloads   

now i want to have the below, only issue is the Unraid (with AFP shares, shows both "Tower" and "Tower-SMB" in the Mac clients finder "shared" area. I just want unraid to annoucne AFP to mac clients. SMB clients can still access it via normal IP or hostname. its just i dont like seeing two entries for the "tower" in Mac's

Unraid ------------------AFP----- Mac Clients Only

|                          |

Movies                    |

TV                          --SMB-----PC/Linux Clients (Mac as well if i mount smb://tower.local)

Music                 

Doco's           

Xserve--------------AFP----- Mac Clients

|                |

Software        |

Games            ----SMB-----PC/Linux Clients (Mac as well if i mount smb://xserve.local)

Backups

Downloads   

I Hope that clears up everything :)

Hmm, isn't the /boot/config/smb-extra.conf pretty much overwrite the Samba configuration file? Meaning, you can use the same structure and keywords you would use for a standalone Samba installation?  If so, couldn't you just create a [global] block, and add "hosts deny = <ip address to your Mac>"?  I'm not sure if that would not broadcast to your Mac, but I suppose it would deny access to it.  You can give it a try.  Or also put Samba in "Export: yes (hidden)" mode, and doesn't that keep it from broadcasting the share? You'd have to know the IP and share names to mount the Samba shares?

I'm having problems with my AFP shares now.  It's giving me just read only access to both my shares, and I've only created one R/W user.  This user is the same user I created for SSH login via private key (you can find my post under General Support if you're curious to set this up.)  I've also added this user to the hosts group via the /etc/passwd file--which is what the permissions on the folders are (nobody:users).

I rebooted my Mac, but still, same problem.  I even assigned another User to have R/W access through AFP to just one of the shares--and still Read Only.  Samba works fine, though.  I haven't set up NFS yet (since I'm not familiar with the commands, though I'm sure it's dead simple).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: Scratch that, it says in Finder that I can Read/Write, but when I tried to copy over an existing folder, it said I had no permissions to do so.

I think i may have confused people.

here was my initial plan:

(but found that i cant see ACL's on NFSv3 so im stuck with basic POSIX permisions and dont want to mess with unRIAD (everything owned by root system)

If unraid supported NFSv4 (along with 10.6.6 supporting ACL's via NFSv4 then i would be very happy). but for now i have simplified things as shown in the bottom example) If unRAID has iSCSI for usershares i would be over the moon!

Unraid ----NFS---- Xserve--------------AFP----- Mac Clients

|                            |                  |

Movies                  Software           |

TV                         Games             --SMB-----PC/Linux Clients (Mac as well if i mount smb://tower)

Music                    Backups

Doco's                 Downloads     

now i want to have the below, only issue is the Unraid (with AFP shares, shows both "Tower" and "Tower-SMB" in the Mac clients finder "shared" area. I just want unraid to annoucne AFP to mac clients. SMB clients can still access it via normal IP or hostname. its just i dont like seeing two entries for the "tower" in Mac's

Unraid ------------------AFP----- Mac Clients Only

|                          |

Movies                     |

TV                           --SMB-----PC/Linux Clients (Mac as well if i mount smb://tower.local)

Music                 

Doco's           

Xserve--------------AFP----- Mac Clients

|                 |

Software         |

Games             ----SMB-----PC/Linux Clients (Mac as well if i mount smb://xserve.local)

Backups

Downloads   

I Hope that clears up everything :)

Try adding these lines to your go file:

avahi-daemon -k
rm /etc/avahi/services/samba.service
avahi-daemon -D

I only tested this on the command line but it should work in the go file.