AT&T caps -> crashplan

c234rmf

Just a warning to all users of crashplan who have not heard At&t is imposing caps with overage charges on DSL and uverse.

I am currently looking for a new ISP and possibly a new land line phone provider.

At&T-> dinosaurs - when ever the internet inovates big iron jumps the other way.

I have "insight" cable and internet right now, and while I do not like them per say they have not imposed any caps or overage charges that I know of.

I mostly hate insight because of there cable box and sometimes poor internet speeds.  WOW (WideOpenWest) was my favorite provider when I had them but for right now they do not provide service to my area.

I'm really upset about this news! I switched to U-Verse from 10+ years of Comcast because every year Comcast continued to raise my monthly price and I would battle with the retention department to try and get back to the same price. It's really frustrating to a customer when their bill automatically increases as their 'package price' comes to an end. It's really messed up and I just got sick and tired of dealing with their BS.

So I switched to U-Verse last October as I received the letter that I consume too much bandwidth and that was it. I decided that the cheaper and slower (I can only get the 16/1.5) would be better as it's uncapped. Sure I was able to save like $20 a month and decided that I would rather take an internet speed hit + a lesser quality HDTV stream just to stick it to Comcast.

I am now seriously considering switching back to Comcast and getting the 22/5 Business Class account as 250GB is just nothing for my household. I have 4 people living here and we all consume a lot of data. Our typical usage is about 600GB a month, most of it is me as I work out the house and upload large video files to clients.

I honestly enjoyed U-Verse and their DVR 'entire house DVR' as I could watch whatever whereever without transferring it (TV HD)... I really WISH FiOS was in my area :(

... I really WISH FiOS was in my area :(

I currently have FiOS 20/20, and I really love it.  Hearing all these majors decide to start imposing caps has me worried Verizon will do it next.  They don't understand that not EVERYONE using high bandwidth is simply pulling down torrents.  Some of us actually do work.

So it's $99/month for the 22/5mbps Biz class with Comcast. The question becomes how much is just TV/Phone through residential as I won't be a Triple Play? Ugh...

I tried to call yesterday, but they were already closed.

I didn't think about that... I just did the triple play things a few months ago... I was hoping I could just bump the internet, keep the phone/tv and pay the difference, but I doubt they'd do it that way, huh?

I currently have FiOS 20/20, and I really love it. Hearing all these majors decide to start imposing caps has me worried Verizon will do it next. They don't understand that not EVERYONE using high bandwidth is simply pulling down torrents. Some of us actually do work.

Isn't that what the business class is for?

I rarely use my FiOS connection for work, but I do typically use 1 to 2 TB a month on my 35/35 connection.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

So it's $99/month for the 22/5mbps Biz class with Comcast. The question becomes how much is just TV/Phone through residential as I won't be a Triple Play? Ugh...

I tried to call yesterday, but they were already closed.

I didn't think about that... I just did the triple play things a few months ago... I was hoping I could just bump the internet, keep the phone/tv and pay the difference, but I doubt they'd do it that way, huh?

Just got off the phone... 22/5 was going to be $105/mth with a 1 year contract, but Just the cable and phone I have now (part of the triple play) was going to be $175 (which is the same as I'm paying for all 3 services now).  So basically $275/mth instead of $175/mth, ICK

More and more providers in the UK are ditching their unlimited packages in favour of either "fair use" or additional fees for bandwidth used.

Obviously the amount of bandwidth Joe Average is using is just going up and up,  and the carriers are afraid they are going to have to spend a shedload of cash on their networks sometime soon.

Sitting in my lounge posting this from my laptop, my AV Amp is network attached, my PS3, my Humax PVR, xbox 360, smartphone in my pocket, htpc and no doubt the next TV I buy will be network attached,  not really a surprise people are using more bandwidth is it!

I currently have FiOS 20/20, and I really love it.  Hearing all these majors decide to start imposing caps has me worried Verizon will do it next.  They don't understand that not EVERYONE using high bandwidth is simply pulling down torrents.  Some of us actually do work.

Isn't that what the business class is for?

I rarely use my FiOS connection for work, but I do typically use 1 to 2 TB a month on my 35/35 connection.

Sure, if you want to pay 4 times the price.  Should I have to pay $200/month just because I use my connection 30% of the time for work?  My point is there is too much grey area for at home users regarding the type of traffic.

I don't see why Comcast/AT&T don't just offer an unlimited tier for an additional cost. Comcast's biz class is great... but if you're using it in home you completely ruin your package, which we can see above.

Thank you for doing the leg work and seeing how much it would cost for just TV/Phone. Google really just needs to roll out some fiber and dominate that market too. Wait, I recall they are actually doing this in 2 test markets, right?

I don't see why Comcast/AT&T don't just offer an unlimited tier for an additional cost. Comcast's biz class is great... but if you're using it in home you completely ruin your package, which we can see above.

Thank you for doing the leg work and seeing how much it would cost for just TV/Phone. Google really just needs to roll out some fiber and dominate that market too. Wait, I recall they are actually doing this in 2 test markets, right?

Agree, I'd pay an extra $30-40 mth for an unlimited DL plan and be able to keep the TV and Phone parts of the triple play...but not sure worth $100+ more a month.

I'd go back to DirecTV in a second (was a 8 year customer) but I don't they they are ever going to get HD locals in the 124th largest TV market in the US where I live.  It's not on the 2011 Upgrade list even though a lot of smaller markets are.  That was one of the main reasons I switched.

Even if Comcast doesn't want to publish an 'unlimited plan' as there are supposedly soft caps on their Business Class, they should at least offered some form of tiered service level. I'm sure they hesitate to do this because users who use far below the current 250GB cap, would want a lesser tier, which would cause Comcast to loose money. Why not do a 150GB/250GB/400GB/800GB tier... In my area they offer the 50/10 line... and I had it for about week to just test it out. From a Linux FTP that I have in a commercial data center I was able to achieve/max out my Comcast 50Mbps download.

I really enjoyed my 22/5 Comcast residential line that I had...

Why are all these ISP's starting to cap b/w as we all are becoming increasingly more connected? I couldn't believe I had to replace my 8port switch last year to 24 to accommodate all the electronics that have network access, but now our internet is being limited.

Even if Comcast doesn't want to publish an 'unlimited plan' as there are supposedly soft caps on their Business Class, they should at least offered some form of tiered service level. I'm sure they hesitate to do this because users who use far below the current 250GB cap, would want a lesser tier, which would cause Comcast to loose money. Why not do a 150GB/250GB/400GB/800GB tier... In my area they offer the 50/10 line... and I had it for about week to just test it out. From a Linux FTP that I have in a commercial data center I was able to achieve/max out my Comcast 50Mbps download.

I really enjoyed my 22/5 Comcast residential line that I had...

Why are all these ISP's starting to cap b/w as we all are becoming increasingly more connected? I couldn't believe I had to replace my 8port switch last year to 24 to accommodate all the electronics that have network access, but now our internet is being limited.

It's pretty obvious why they're doing it.  They also make money from broadcast television and phone service.  If you use your AT&T U-verse or Comcast Cable or Verizon FiOS connection to legally stream all of your television shows, why would you need the TV part of the package?  You've got Hulu and Vudu and Netflix and Amazon and and and and.  Use VOIP and you can dump their phone service, too, and treat all of that as what it is:  Data.  But if you do that, you're not letting the ISPs triple-dip by charging you three times for the same service.  Surely you can see the problem with this.  :)

Another thing that ISPs are having trouble with is the fact that both the volume of content available and the storage capacity available to Joe User have grown far more quickly than the bandwidth available to throw it around.  It's growing so fast that some of the (ahem) hungrier users have to work to manage just moving the data around their own networks.  I just did the math and the amount of storage I have now is around 25x what I had a decade ago while my entartube is only about 8x what i had back then and my network is only 10x faster.  And even 10 years ago, I was using TCP/IP over firewire to transfer files whenever I had to move a big amount of data.  Next week, I'm going to have about 750 gigs to move onto my array and it's going to take forever:)

Has anyone recieved notice of the caps yet?  I've read articles saying they would send out notifications on the 18th but I still haven't seen anything.  I'm a little curious on how they will notify you of current usage, some sort of widget or data tracker on AT&T website?

Archived