[Support] Audiobookshelf

• 2 weeks later...

First, this has been an extraordinary app moving from booksonic awhile ago, so thank you for all the work!

Second:

TLDR: is there a way to change the frequency and timing of the Podcast episodecheck task?

I have been on an obsessive mission to minimize spin up time on my disks. I know all the arguments for or against, this is my own personal mission.

Every hour on the hour, audiobookshelf runs the episodecheck task and spins up the drive. I only use audiobookshelf to download and archive a few podcasts I would hate to lose access to. I only need the episode checker to run maybe once a day. I have been through all the settings in the gui, and searched around the docker for maybe a config file that was obvious. I haven't seen anything that jumps out at me, I have seen some references in some .js files, but I don't really know Java so I couldn't parse it. Any help to change the frequency and timing of the Podcast episode checker would be greatly appreciated, if its at all possible.

Thanks!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, lyricalsnyper said:

First, this has been an extraordinary app moving from booksonic awhile ago, so thank you for all the work!

Second:

TLDR: is there a way to change the frequency and timing of the Podcast episodecheck task?

I have been on an obsessive mission to minimize spin up time on my disks. I know all the arguments for or against, this is my own personal mission.

Every hour on the hour, audiobookshelf runs the episodecheck task and spins up the drive. I only use audiobookshelf to download and archive a few podcasts I would hate to lose access to. I only need the episode checker to run maybe once a day. I have been through all the settings in the gui, and searched around the docker for maybe a config file that was obvious. I haven't seen anything that jumps out at me, I have seen some references in some .js files, but I don't really know Java so I couldn't parse it. Any help to change the frequency and timing of the Podcast episode checker would be greatly appreciated, if its at all possible.

Thanks!

The podcast episode schedule has to be adjusted on each individual podcast. There is no global setting for podcast schedule. To adjust the schedule press edit on a podcast and go to the "Schedule" tab.

Got this all set-up with cloudflare tunnels.  It works great from browsers inside and outside network.  But can't for the life of me get the IOS app to connect.  If I enter the wrong domain, it fails to ping.  But when entering the correct domain, it just does nothing... like it is trying, and then it stops.

I do have cloudflare access on, but also have WARP installed to bypass the prompt

• 2 weeks later...

So I have this whole container set up and working with all my devices. However, when it comes to mass editing the metadata in my files, which I wish to do, I can't seem to get the embed metadata tool to actually work. It gives a Succeeded response, but when checking the actual metadata in something like MP3 Tag, it shows no change.

I'm not sure if this is a container permission error or something else. Every file I've tested is already set via Docker Safe New Permissions:
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users

Any troubleshooting steps I can take?

Edit ---
Just tried firing up a Windows Docker locally to test file permissions, and the embedding of metadata still isn't working on there either.

Edited by Oceanus
10 hours ago, Oceanus said:

So I have this whole container set up and working with all my devices. However, when it comes to mass editing the metadata in my files, which I wish to do, I can't seem to get the embed metadata tool to actually work. It gives a Succeeded response, but when checking the actual metadata in something like MP3 Tag, it shows no change.

I'm not sure if this is a container permission error or something else. Every file I've tested is already set via Docker Safe New Permissions:
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users

Any troubleshooting steps I can take?

Edit ---
Just tried firing up a Windows Docker locally to test file permissions, and the embedding of metadata still isn't working on there either.

Considering you already mentioned using mp3tag, just use that. It works beautifully when using audible for data. 

1 hour ago, Froberg said:

Considering you already mentioned using mp3tag, just use that. It works beautifully when using audible for data. 

I'd prefer having a selfhosted method of embedding metadata. One that I can access from reverse proxy as well. Mp3tag is too manually hands on, and in my experience rather slow with searching and tagging many files with the audible tagging source. 

As metadata embedding is a feature advertised in audiobookshelf, it must work for others.

• 3 weeks later...

Current setup:

Audiobookshelf docker version - v2.6.0

Audiobookshelf Android version - 0.9.68-beta

Problem: Somehow I've been unable to play any files on my server. I can sucessufly connect to it and I can see all the books that I have on it. However, whenever I click on any of the books I'm taken to the next screen where it doesn't appear anything (just the title of the category - Books").

I already tried downgrading both applications to older releases (where I could playback the files) but I'm still stuck at the grey screen. Has anyone faced this issue before? I can play these files fine on my browser on my pc or my Android phone ...

Edited by Tarnished
More information added
  • 2 months later...
On 11/19/2023 at 12:36 PM, Oceanus said:

I'd prefer having a selfhosted method of embedding metadata. One that I can access from reverse proxy as well. Mp3tag is too manually hands on, and in my experience rather slow with searching and tagging many files with the audible tagging source. 

As metadata embedding is a feature advertised in audiobookshelf, it must work for others.

I use mp3tag to sort files as well as tag them/embed data in them. I haven't had any problems doing so. At all. 

1 hour ago, Tucubanito07 said:

Is this still being supported? I was deleting some books and right after each book the docker container would stop. Has this happened to anyone else? 

Yes, this project is very active. You will have to check the server logs to see what the crash is. The best place for support is in the Discord or on Github because there are many people helping to answer questions there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Let me start by saying Audiobookshelf is absolutely fantastic. I look forward to the ios app non-beta release. Question, is anyone else having permission issues with Unraid? I am running the full suite of "*arr" apps and cant seem to get Audiobookshelf to play well with Readarr. All my other indexers and download clients work perfectly. When Readarr grabs a selection it does not show up in Audiobookshelf. When I use Audiobookshelf to manually put books away, it sets file permissions to root. That throws an error in Readarr. I have verified my my Unmask, PUID and GUID settings. They are the same as other indexers. Thanks in advance.

As of late i keep having Audiobook Shelf docker stop. I can't find any reason for it in the logs and I have no idea why. It worked fine for 2 years now all of a sudden.

I was thinking about reinstalling it but i do not want to lose my library, I have 100's of book in there with the right art work, all put into series and collections. I don't want to lose that work. first I'd like to fix it but if not that how do i back up the library part of it so i can reinstall

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 10:04 AM, MrDieselTwitch said:

As of late i keep having Audiobook Shelf docker stop. I can't find any reason for it in the logs and I have no idea why. It worked fine for 2 years now all of a sudden.

I was thinking about reinstalling it but i do not want to lose my library, I have 100's of book in there with the right art work, all put into series and collections. I don't want to lose that work. first I'd like to fix it but if not that how do i back up the library part of it so i can reinstall

+1. seeing same issue. i think in the last ~2 minor revs? I can include logs if someone tells me where to look, didnt see anything obvious but im not an unraid expert.

2 hours ago, strykn said:

I managed to set up the docker, and really like the features.
How do I set up server? Would like to add remote access from my phone.

I use nginx proxy manager to set up a remote connection with. 

On 3/11/2024 at 5:11 PM, poh said:

+1. seeing same issue. i think in the last ~2 minor revs? I can include logs if someone tells me where to look, didnt see anything obvious but im not an unraid expert.

repro'ed in v2.8.0
no longer seeing the crash in v2.8.1

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Good morning. I am unable to log in on a fresh install with the default "root" and blank password.

I was reinstalling after not remembering what (if any) password I'd set up on a previous install, is there someting I am missing?

1 hour ago, theasset said:

Good morning. I am unable to log in on a fresh install with the default "root" and blank password.

I was reinstalling after not remembering what (if any) password I'd set up on a previous install, is there someting I am missing?

You may be still mapping to an old database because if this is a fresh install then you would be prompted to set a password.

1 hour ago, advplyr said:

You may be still mapping to an old database because if this is a fresh install then you would be prompted to set a password.

If I uninstall from the Unraid apps interface, and I reinstall and point it to the same source for my content, would this carry over my settings? I couldn't see anything else in that location other than the folders for each book.. Still on the learning curve - is there a way to ensure the folder for the docker container has been purged before retriggering a new install?

(thanks again for your quick reply I've been reading through all the older threads and really impressed with your ongoing effort to support noobs and pros alike!)

I figured it might be caching through "Previous Apps" so I cleared the template before reinstalling, I get the same "Unauthorized" error ... not sure this means the credentials are wrong or if I don't have the correct permissions..

Edit: Ok, so it looks like the audiobookshelf folders are still in both my cache drive where I run all my containers, and also in my appdata folder.. can I delete from both location safely using Krusader? Or should best practice be deleting from the cache and this change being automatically reflected in appdata due to the cache -> array configuration?

Edited by theasset