Help! QNAP expansion setup

I have filled my Fractal Node 804. I'm trying to add additional drives by adding the QNAP TL-D1600S enclosure.  I've put the expansion card in my Unraid server, added the drives to the enclosure, and now booting with all drives blinking red.  Is there any issue with adding this system to the unraid server? I'd hate to think I wasted that kind of money on something that wouldn't work but I could always flip it back on ebay and get most of it back. 

https://youtu.be/s1uVXMlSvKA

Is this a driver issue?

tower-diagnostics-20211213-1257.zip

I've pulled the expansion card and connected it to my windows PC. The QNAP boots and starts beeping as it starts to test each cable connection. I'm now getting green lights on the drives. So the enclosure and the expansion card appear to be working now. The enclosure recognizes my desktop as the host device. 

Is there any reason this SHOULDN'T work with unraid? I had asked in the past before purchasing the device on the reddit and the response by the few was it shouldn't have any problems.  Do we think there's a way to get this going? I'd hate to be out the $1k but it is what it is at this point.

EDIT*
Digging through their website they have driver software for windows and Ubuntu. Is there anyway to utilize an ubuntu driver for this?

Edited by FlyingTexan
2 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Is this the Card?

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/qxp-1600es

Looking at the driver it seems to be Marvel based.

Yes I have the 1600es card.  I'm guessing I should point out that if I'm having to ask these questions I've hit the end of my knowledge. Thank you very much for chiming in but what does that mean with it being Marvel based?  Are we saying I'm not dead in the woods yet?  I've just updated its firmware through my windows PC. Not sure what my options are next. 

4 minutes ago, FlyingTexan said:

Yes I have the 1600es card.  I'm guessing I should point out that if I'm having to ask these questions I've hit the end of my knowledge. Thank you very much for chiming in but what does that mean with it being Marvel based?  Are we saying I'm not dead in the woods yet?  I've just updated its firmware through my windows PC. Not sure what my options are next. 

Marvell is the controller chip maker, Chassis may work with a different SATA card but looks like there is only a driver for windows and Ubuntu on the website for the card.

So doesn't look like a Native driver for Linux.

Just now, SimonF said:

Marvell is the controller chip maker, Chassis may work with a different SATA card but looks like there is only a driver for windows and Ubuntu on the website for the card.

So doesn't look like a Native driver for Linux.

So are we saying that my two options are to either switch to ubuntu or get rid of the expansion unit? No means to get this working for unraid?

1 minute ago, FlyingTexan said:

So are we saying that my two options are to either switch to ubuntu or get rid of the expansion unit? No means to get this working for unraid?

Looks that the HBA doesn't have native from what I have read, so looks like will not work with Unraid. But another HBA may work with the enclosure but again that is unknown.

1 minute ago, SimonF said:

Looks that the HBA doesn't have native from what I have read, so looks like will not work with Unraid. But another HBA may work with the enclosure but again that is unknown.

Is there no means for me to implement the ubuntu driver into unraid? I've never used ubuntu for to keep the enclosure and my setup i may consider doing this. 

17 minutes ago, FlyingTexan said:

what does that mean with it being Marvel based?

It means hit or miss (mostly miss) when it comes to working with Linux kernel/unRAID.  Marvell has a very checkered history with native Linux drivers and very often drives attached to Marvell controllers simply do not show up in unRAID.  If they do show up, there is a high probability they will get dropped at some point.  These forums have many threads on the issues with Marvell chipset-based HBAs and Linux/unRAID.

9 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

It means hit or miss (mostly miss) when it comes to working with Linux kernel/unRAID.  Marvell has a very checkered history with native Linux drivers and very often drives attached to Marvell controllers simply do not show up in unRAID.  If they do show up, there is a high probability they will get dropped at some point.  These forums have many threads on the issues with Marvell chipset-based HBAs and Linux/unRAID.

Thank you for the heads up.  I've LOVED using unraid but since I've already bought all the hardware (even though had bought unraid as well) I guess I have to consider seeing if it's possible to replicate the things I do in unraid (plex server, radarr/sonarr/sabnzbd, parity) in Ubuntu. Which I've never used and don't want to do but I don't know any other options right now.