Changing data disk to parity

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi,

I have two disks in an array without parity. I'd like to move the second disk in the array to act as a parity disk instead. As far as I can tell it should have no data on it (says 1% utilization). Is there some sort of operation that can migrate the data if there are any? How do I actually go about changing it from a data disk to parity?

I tried spinning down the array and just moving it but it warned med that the disk would be missing, which I guess is no surprise.

• Solution
1 hour ago, idealpink said:

Is there some sort of operation that can migrate the data if there are any?

You can use Unbalance, but first you can explore the disk to see if there's tactfully any data there.

1 hour ago, idealpink said:

How do I actually go about changing it from a data disk to parity?

Tools -> New config then re-assign the disk as parity and start the array to begin a parity sync, the data on the remaining data disk won't be touched.

11 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can use Unbalance, but first you can explore the disk to see if there's tactfully any data there.

Tools -> New config then re-assign the disk as parity and start the array to begin a parity sync, the data on the remaining data disk won't be touched.

Thank you! I checked the drive and it was completely empty.

Worked as a charm and it's fixing the parity now. 👍🏻

Very new to Unraid so I can't find my way around everything just yet. Thanks again for the help.

• Like 1

I have several disks in my array, i went to add another 14tb drive as parity 2, but i added it as a data drive (it's already cleared and online).   When i change to assigned.   It says disk missing.   How can i remove it and make it my 2nd parity disk without causing any problems.   I looked at New Config but i want to be absolutely sure how to do this before i cause a problem with the rest of the array.

6 hours ago, GeorgeJetson20 said:

I have several disks in my array, i went to add another 14tb drive as parity 2, but i added it as a data drive (it's already cleared and online).   When i change to assigned.   It says disk missing.   How can i remove it and make it my 2nd parity disk without causing any problems.   I looked at New Config but i want to be absolutely sure how to do this before i cause a problem with the rest of the array.

If you already have a Parity drive and you want to use one of your Data drive as Parity2, then your situation is different than the OP.

You should open a new thread with details and your diagnostics.

• 1 year later...
On 12/19/2021 at 6:08 AM, JorgeB said:

I know this is an old thread, but think this is the correct place, without opening  a new thread.  

I have Parity 12 TB

Disk 1 12 TB (I used MC to move the few directories adn files to Disk 4, the are there and seem okay- then deleted the date from Disk 1)

Disk 2- 5 are 4 TB drives and likely will add more down the road.

Question- If Disk 1 is all cleared (only ISO directory is left on that Disk), how would I then turn that into my 2nd Parity.  Do I simply to Tools>New Config stop the array, and change that Disk 1 to a Parity Drive?  Or is it more complicated than that?  If so, what would be the steps?  Hope I provided enough information.