New minidlna package for unmenu (including Samsung and Sony TV patches)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Bagpuss,

Thank you for all the work on your minidlna.  I've been able to download and install it via Joe L.'s unMenu, so think it will work (though I'm still using 4.7 Pro Final).  I've noted numerous suggestions that this be placed in a cache drive, but am unsure of how this can be accomplished.  Despite the fact that I've had my unRaid Server operating since 2006, I have only a few additions to the basic shell and am such a Linux noobie, that I get easily lost.  I would appreciate any suggestions that I might incorporate into my system to both move the various listings to a cache drive and to enable an auto start to the system.

My current shares are \\Tower (10.0.0.50)\Movies; TV Shows; Music; Photos and a Data Server (that does not require DLNA status).  I've tryed to use a couple of different Media Servers from an HTPC (which I can somewhat access) to a Sony Media Box.  I've tried PLEX; Twonky (several years ago); MediaGate (MG35 - w/Joe L back in 07/08); and a PBO box (actually very nice design, but jeez what a klunky interface implementation).

My objective is to ultimately have "mini" icons for my movies/music/tv shows so that my WAF is able to operate the system - yes I can navigate to Video.ts/"video".ifo but teaching that to her and others is well another chapter like finding and being able to use the correct remote....

I've looked at other products and just hope that the Sony with a DNLA server will fit the bill.  With regard to the Sony I have found no way to provide a path other than through its finding that path via DLNA.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Dave

Hi all,

Bagpuss, great job, I think I have the minidlna running on 4.7 but have a couple of questions.

Is there a command to tell if it is actually operating (my linux skills are too weak to know what to type)?

I can now see the UnRaid Box through my Sony Media Player, but it only sees the Box (w/MAC address ?).  If I go to folders or attempt to browse, it states that there is no "playable file".  Currently it does not see my "shares" - Movies, Music, TV Show; it sees Folders - Pictures, Videos, Music and sub-folders but nothing within either artist/genre etc.  This may be something within the Sony or DLNA parameters, do we have the ability to "tweak" the settings in minidlna?  How?

Thanks in advance

Dave

PS - It is interesting that it (Sony) "titled" the link - UNRAID!  No where have I ever put that name into any device/router/computer/switch etc.  Wierd that it identifies my system that way????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Installed this on the cache drive and it works fine.  However, the user scripts don't work to rescan and start minidlna.  It seems like it's looking for the minidlna.settings file in the install directory (/mnt/cache/.custo/custom/minidlna) but they're not there.  The setting files are on /boot/custom/minidlna/minidlna.conf (or minidlna_conf).

Even if the settings files is copied to the cache, it doesn't seem to be persistent.  Any way to fix the scripts so they point to the right directory?

• 2 months later...

Installed this on the cache drive and it works fine.  However, the user scripts don't work to rescan and start minidlna.  It seems like it's looking for the minidlna.settings file in the install directory (/mnt/cache/.custo/custom/minidlna) but they're not there.  The setting files are on /boot/custom/minidlna/minidlna.conf (or minidlna_conf).

Even if the settings files is copied to the cache, it doesn't seem to be persistent.  Any way to fix the scripts so they point to the right directory?

Can't reproduce this symptom on my system.

The only thing I can think of is that the array wasn't started (i.e. /mnt/cache) wasn't visible when you installed the minidlna package originally. The original package did have code to detect this, but I think I missed a corner case.

I'll be posting a new version to the first post in the thread in the next few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank you for this package.  I'm running it with about 2,400 movies, TV shows, and music videos. It works flawlessly on my Samsung TV with pretty much any file type that I throw at it.

One question: is there any reason not to put the db and cache files on the flash drive?

Thanks, again!

bb

I just wanted to thank you for this package.  I'm running it with about 2,400 movies, TV shows, and music videos. It works flawlessly on my Samsung TV with pretty much any file type that I throw at it.

One question: is there any reason not to put the db and cache files on the flash drive?

Thanks, again!

bb

You could, but it's better to have them on a hard drive. Mainly, because you want to minimise write activity to the flash, thereby extending it's life.

You could, but it's better to have them on a hard drive. Mainly, because you want to minimise write activity to the flash, thereby extending it's life.

Thank you.  Here's my take:  the db/cache on the flash drive is only written when the library is rescanned, which I might do once per week.  That's a very modest number of write cycles.  If I put the db and cache on disk1, I need to spin up that disk every time I access the dlna server - even if the media that I want is on a different drive.  That seems like it would be unnecessarily slow and power inefficient.  I don't mean to be argumentative and am very appreciative of your work -- just my 2 cents.

Hi,

This URL was just a placeholder. It was never intended to work.

You need to download the .tgz file from the link in the first post of this thread. You then copy it into the /boot/packages directory on your memory stick, and you'll be good to go.

If I ever find somewhere permanent to host the file, then I'll modify the URL in the conf file accordingly.

Cheers,

Andy.

I was trying to install this package and having a problem downloading the .tgz file.

The latest .conf lists this as the download URL:

http://some.url.org.uk/files/minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1.tgz

When I click on it I get a broken URL error.

Is this the correct link?  Does anyone have an alternate DL location?

Thanks!

Hi,

This URL was just a placeholder. It was never intended to work.

You need to download the .tgz file from the link in the first post of this thread. You then copy it into the /boot/packages directory on your memory stick, and you'll be good to go.

If I ever find somewhere permanent to host the file, then I'll modify the URL in the conf file accordingly.

Cheers,

Andy.

Thanks Andy.  I got it.

In the first post it looked like there was a link, and then right under it it said "CORRECTION" in bold and then a different link.  I guess I skimmed it too quickly and thought the above link was corrected to be the lower link.  Now I realize one is for the package and the other for the .conf file.

Sorry for not reading it more carefully!

I dl'ed it and it installed easily.  Working great with my new Onkyo receiver (TX-NR809) serving up music.  Haven't tried video yet.

Thank you!

Thanks so much for putting together this package file.

Came across one small issue that I thought I would report.

I was stopping my array because I needed to shut down the server.  I had forgotten about minidlna running in the background.  I clicked the stop array button on the unRAID gui, but the array would not fully stop - kept saying unmounting.

So I went to the command prompt and did the "lsof" (list open files) command and it showed me that several files were opened related to minidlna (doh!)

So I went to unmenu and tried to run the stop dlna user script, but unRaid continued to report the unmounting.  (lsof confirmed the files were still open.)

So I looked inside the user script and see that it is calling the "minidlnactl" script with the "stop" argument.

So I tried to run that command from a command line and it told me:

"Cannot start minidlna, as array not started."

Opening up the minidlnactl script, on line 21, there is a test to see if "/mnt/disk1" exists (as a means for checking if the array is started), and if it is not present, it issues the message above.  Since my array had already begun unmounting, "/mnt/disk1" was already gone.  I changed the line to refer to "/mnt/cache" (which is where minidlna is installed).  When I reran with this change, minidlna came down and the array stopped normally.

I might suggest that this fix would work for everyone, but it would not work for anyone without a cache drive.  A suggestion would be to check for the existance of the MINIDLNA_CONF directory (variable containing the minidlna installation directory) exists.  That would give you the info to know if the package is available (wherever it is installed), which should be all that is required to start or stop minidlna.

Thanks again Andy.  Great contribution!

• 2 weeks later...

Will take a look at the /disk1 issue, as it's a case that will crop up now and again.

It was put there to work around another common issue found in unRAID 5.0 beta, which is that the array doesn't auto start.

As the comments explain, the check you've fallen foul of is there to ensure that minidlna can be installed, even if the array isn't started.

I'm sure I can find a suitable workaround, but I don't think modifying the check to look for the cache drive is suitable for all cases.

Cheers,

Andy.

Will take a look at the /disk1 issue, as it's a case that will crop up now and again.

It was put there to work around another common issue found in unRAID 5.0 beta, which is that the array doesn't auto start.

As the comments explain, the check you've fallen foul of is there to ensure that minidlna can be installed, even if the array isn't started.

I'm sure I can find a suitable workaround, but I don't think modifying the check to look for the cache drive is suitable for all cases.

Cheers,

Andy.

Take a look at my SABnzb, pyLoad, or Transmission packages.  I do a loop type thing in there that might work in this situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm an unraid/*nix noob, but I'm slowly learning thanks to people in these forums.  Recently, I successfully set up my unRaid server (4.7 pro license), and I decided to venture into the miniDLNA package since I have a Samsung TV.

I copied the 2 minidlna files to my packages folder, ran it in unMenu, and got as far as getting the TV to recognize the DLNA server, but there's no contents in it (i.e. movies/musics/files on server not showing up.)  Here are my observations when I tried to troubleshoot the problem... can someone shed some light into my noob-ness?  Sorry and thanks!

1.  I set up my DLNA shares as "media_dir=/mnt/Movies", with Movies being a top level User Share set in unraid.  I also setup "media_dir=/tower/music" and "media_dir=/music", (tower being the unraid server name, and music being a top level user share in tower) but none of them worked.  What is the proper "path" that I should be using?  Do I have to list my unRaid server name after /mnt? (i.e. /mnt/Tower/music)?

2.  After my miniDLNA install, whenever I try to stop the server, one of my drive would get stuck in an "unmount" status.  Based on checking the process, it seems like it has something to do with miniDLNA stuck doing something with the log file.  I conclude on this because it was stuck unmounting disk1 before, and when I changed the save-log location to the cache drive, it got stuck on the cache drive trying to unmount.  The process listing also listed the miniDLNA log file.  Is anyone else having this issue?

3.  When I tried the unMenu interface to change miniDLNA parameters (e.g. the share directories), I noticed that sometimes it won't save/update.  So I had to manually change them.  I changed the settings manually for the boot/custom/minidlna/minidlna.local and minidlna.settings files - is this the correct file to change?

4.  When I tried the rescan script, it would say that it can't find the directories. (maybe that's why nothing is showing under my DLNA shares?)

5.  here's my dlna log, is anything wrong with it?

[2011/11/08 21:42:13] minidlna.c:899: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.22 [sqlite 3.5.9].

[2011/11/08 21:42:13] minidlna.c:922: warn: Creating new database...

[2011/11/08 21:42:13] minidlna.c:991: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200

[2011/11/08 21:45:53] minidlna.c:153: warn: received signal 2, good-bye

[2011/11/08 21:45:53] minidlna.c:899: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.22 [sqlite 3.5.9].

[2011/11/08 21:45:53] minidlna.c:922: warn: Creating new database...

[2011/11/08 21:45:53] minidlna.c:991: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200

[2011/11/08 21:47:40] minidlna.c:899: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.22 [sqlite 3.5.9].

[2011/11/08 21:47:40] minidlna.c:922: warn: Creating new database...

[2011/11/08 21:47:40] minidlna.c:130: error: bind(http): Address already in use

[2011/11/08 21:47:40] minidlna.c:989: fatal: Failed to open socket for HTTP. EXITING

[2011/11/08 21:48:46] minidlna.c:899: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.22 [sqlite 3.5.9].

[2011/11/08 21:48:46] minidlna.c:922: warn: Creating new database...

[2011/11/08 21:48:46] minidlna.c:130: error: bind(http): Address already in use

[2011/11/08 21:48:46] minidlna.c:989: fatal: Failed to open socket for HTTP. EXITING

[2011/11/09 07:21:59] minidlna.c:899: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.22 [sqlite 3.5.9].

[2011/11/09 07:21:59] minidlna.c:922: warn: Creating new database...

[2011/11/09 07:21:59] minidlna.c:130: error: bind(http): Address already in use

[2011/11/09 07:21:59] minidlna.c:989: fatal: Failed to open socket for HTTP. EXITING

[2011/11/09 07:22:21] minidlna.c:899: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.22 [sqlite 3.5.9].

[2011/11/09 07:22:21] minidlna.c:922: warn: Creating new database...

[2011/11/09 07:22:21] minidlna.c:130: error: bind(http): Address already in use

[2011/11/09 07:22:21] minidlna.c:989: fatal: Failed to open socket for HTTP. EXITING

[2011/11/09 07:23:14] minidlna.c:899: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.22 [sqlite 3.5.9].

[2011/11/09 07:23:14] minidlna.c:922: warn: Creating new database...

[2011/11/09 07:23:14] minidlna.c:130: error: bind(http): Address already in use

[2011/11/09 07:23:14] minidlna.c:989: fatal: Failed to open socket for HTTP. EXITING

[2011/11/09 07:34:02] minidlna.c:153: warn: received signal 15, good-bye

Once again, sorry for being a noob, and thanks in advance for your help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I get the following error when trying to install.  I'm using unraid 4.5 and unmenu 1.2.  Can anyone help?

minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1.tgz installation:

/boot/packages/minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1.tgz.manual_install: line 132: /minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1.tgz: No such file or directory

tar-1.13: Cannot add file *: No such file or directory

tar-1.13: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Verifying package minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1Q.tgz.

Installing package minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1Q.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'

Package minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1Q.tgz installed.

sed: can't read /boot/custom/minidlna/minidlnactl: No such file or directory

/boot/packages/minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1.tgz.manual_install: line 152: /boot/custom/minidlna/minidlnactl: No such file or directory

minidlna daemon installed

• 2 weeks later...

I get the following error when trying to install.  I'm using unraid 4.5 and unmenu 1.2.  Can anyone help?

minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1.tgz installation:

/boot/packages/minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1.tgz.manual_install: line 132: /minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1.tgz: No such file or directory

tar-1.13: Cannot add file *: No such file or directory

tar-1.13: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Verifying package minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1Q.tgz.

Installing package minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1Q.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'

Package minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1Q.tgz installed.

/boot/packages/minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1.tgz.manual_install: line 152: /boot/custom/minidlna/minidlnactl: No such file or directory

minidlna daemon installed

I'm not really sure why this is happening, but it appears that you have only got a partial installation.

I have never tested this package on unRAID 4.x, but others have reported that it works (and I see no reason why it shouldn't).

I suggest that you try the following:

1) Delete anything to do with minidlna from the USB stick. This should include:

- minidlna* from /boot/packages (e.g. rm /boot/packages/minidlna* )

- minidlna directory from /boot/custom ( rm -rf /boot/custom/minidlna )

2) Reboot your unRAID system.

3) Download .conf file and .pkg file again, and copy them into /boot/packages

4) Create a /boot/custom directory on your USB stick ( if it doesn't already exist ).

5) Install minidlna package from unMENU.

If this doesn't work, then I might not be able to help further, as I don't have an unRAID 4.x box to test with.

Bagpuss.

• 1 month later...