Can Inter 11th gen processors enable hardware decoding on UNRAID?(N5095)

Just now, always67 said:

fresh install 6.10

echo "options i915 enable_guc=3" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

reboot

add /dev/dri to emby/plex docker

everything is ok

it seems no need for JasperLake to blacklisk the i915 driver

the only thing you need to do is enable the GUC/HUC 

echo "options i915 enable_guc=3" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

• 2 months later...

Is it Right, "options i915 enable_guc=3" in /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf to use the Intel Low-Power-Hardwarecoder?

what is the difference between option 2 and option 3?

what does the parameter options i915 enable_fbc=1 mean and is it a must have to set them?

i'm using unraid 6.11.0 RC2 with an 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11700 @ 2.50GHz 

Thanks

• 9 months later...
On 5/23/2022 at 2:59 PM, tjb_altf4 said:

Up and running now :)

Other than doing a nuke and pave, I was running GUI mode this time around too

image.png.4d3d2b6283282f07ad7dc9d43b80f676.png

Hey buddy, still using the N6005 with Plex? Can you share the full details of your setup? How does it handle direct play of 4K HDR remux files  with bitrates of 60-80 mbps? And 4KH HDR to SDR tone mapping?

Sorry for all the questions... I'm looking to build something powerful enough to direct play 4K HDR mostly in the local network, transcode 1-2 files to 1080p remotely and run Sonarr, Radarr, etc but low power consumption as possible.

Thanks!

On 8/5/2022 at 11:16 PM, blinddark said:

Intel Low-Power-Hardwarecoder?

You know that this comes with the downside of lower image quality (more blockyness) because the low poer mode was created for video calls, so to speak web cam encoding and decoding.

what is the difference between option 2 and option 3?

Please read this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics#Enable_GuC_/_HuC_firmware_loading

what does the parameter options i915 enable_fbc=1 mean and is it a must have to set them?

No, not necessary, please read this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics#Framebuffer_compression_(enable_fbc)

• 7 months later...
On 5/20/2023 at 4:54 AM, ich777 said:

You know that this comes with the downside of lower image quality (more blockyness) because the low poer mode was created for video calls, so to speak web cam encoding and decoding.

Please read this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics#Enable_GuC_/_HuC_firmware_loading

No, not necessary, please read this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics#Framebuffer_compression_(enable_fbc)

Hello,

are there any new indications on how to enable GuC / HuC on unraid 6.12? I am running a J6413 processor and facing this issue right now

(or does any plugin exist for this?)
Thanks

7 hours ago, mich2k said:

are there any new indications on how to enable GuC / HuC on unraid 6.12? I am running a J6413 processor and facing this issue right now

It should work right out of the box IIRC but keep in mind that I have not much experience with that processor, do you have Diagnostics with Intel GPU Top installed?

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

It should work right out of the box IIRC but keep in mind that I have not much experience with that processor, do you have Diagnostics with Intel GPU Top installed?

I did enable mode 3 and now seems to work, cpu is still under heavy load and gpu gets used only 200/300 MHz up to 800MHz (max capacity), from the gpu stats I also see a ton of interrupts/sec, wondering if is normal ^^"

I yet have to fully understand the difference between mode 2 and 3, archwiki is quite technical about this

I just hope the system is using as much as possible the iGPU since the cpu is a very weak one

thankk you for your help

edit: this topic is among the first results googling for guc/huc on LP mode, is actually the only reference for unraid and it did help a lot

homedata-diagnostics-20240113-1109.zip

Edited by mich2k
1 hour ago, mich2k said:

I did enable mode 3 and now seems to work

Are you sure that it doesn't work when don't have option 3 enabled?

Usually nowadays the i915 module detects the correct option on it's own and enables it, can you try to delete the i915.conf file from your boot device, reboot, pull fresh Diagnostics and post them here?

1 hour ago, mich2k said:

cpu is still under heavy load and gpu gets used only 200/300 MHz up to 800MHz (max capacity)

Please don't forget that you maybe also have to transcode the Audio too and depending on what application you are using it's handled differently and will reflect that in the CPU usage.

What do you use Emby/Jellyfin/Plex?

What kind of media do you try to transcode, do the media file have burned in subtitles? From and what format are you transcoding to?

Most people don't think about Audio or burned in subtitles and that could negatively impact CPU usage.

1 hour ago, mich2k said:

I also see a ton of interrupts/sec

The more your server is doing the more interrupts you will see, regardless of what we are talking about.