Unable to boot into unraid - Unable to mount root fs on unknown block 0,0

13 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Wnat brands / models?

Large physical size small capacity (16GB) USB 2.0 sticks seem to be the best for longevity in my experience.

1st one was PQI random 2gb flash. Unraid.net wanted at least 2gb free space on the USB for backup... Don't ask me why but I said fine and upgraded... 2nd was I think adata 4gb no external info to know if I'm right. It is detected as a USB device but does now show any storage capability. I think this one died due to crappy aliexpres internal header. The current one that had this issue is kingston datatraveler 16gb. All these were sticks that I found lying around. Kingston one was also received recently from someone else so I have no idea what it went through.

11 hours ago, itimpi said:

did you reuse the existing USB stick?   Often this fixes an issue of the sort you describe and avoids a licence transfer.

I reused the original usb since this is my 3rd stick transferring the license would require help from unraid licensing and earliest that would happen is the next day... From your experience does this issue repeat often and should be blamed on the USB? Wondering if I should look into replacing the USB or at least preparing a spare one just in case...

Edited by Laov
10 minutes ago, Laov said:

earliest that would happen is the next day

Average response time 6A - 8P EST is around 20 minutes or less 7 days a week.  The goal is 1 hour response during those times.  At other times of the day, its a couple of hours

Should also be noted that after a transfer of the registration, the original stick gets blacklisted and can no longer be used for the OS.

3 hours ago, Laov said:

From your experience does this issue repeat often and should be blamed on the USB? Wondering if I should look into replacing the USB or at least preparing a spare one just in case..

It seems to happen more often that it should after doing an upgrade, not sure why.   Having a spare, though, is never a bad idea as if the USB is going to fail it always seems to do it at the worst possible time.