Parity Errors - What's going wrong?

Hello!

My unRAID server has now had parity errors over 3 checks - I thought one was a hard power-off, two was suspicious, I ran a third today which found more errors.

The only thing I've changed in my unRAID setup in the last 3 months was my main share's disk allocation method; from high-water to most-free. I suspect one of my disks which was unused before but now has data could be throwing these errors. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance!

tower-diagnostics-20220517-1823.zip

Since these were correcting checks, and found parity errors for different sectors, and no obvious disk problems, the most likely suspect is RAM.

Have you done memtest?

You shouldn't even attempt to run a computer with RAM problems. Everything goes through RAM, the OS and any other executable code, your data, everything.

It's above AMD max officially supported speed for that configuration, so yes, also if the RAM runs at 3200MT/s only using an XMP profile, not the default JEDEC then the RAM itself is technically also overclocked, RAM that runs a 3200MT/s using the JEDEC profile is not overclocked.

• 3 weeks later...