[Support] kilrah/FreeFileSync-VNC

Template: https://github.com/kilrah/unraid-docker-templates/blob/main/templates/freefilesync.xml

Source container: https://github.com/kilrah/docker-templates/tree/main/freefilesync

Registry: https://hub.docker.com/r/kilrah/freefilesync-vnc

FreeFileSync is a free and open-source program used for file synchronization. It is available on Windows, Linux and macOS. The project is backed by donations.

This image and template based on https://github.com/helfrichmichael/prusaslicer-novnc gives a FreeFileSync instance through a VNC connection. 2 paths can be mapped (presented in the container as /home/freefilesync/path1 resp. path2), be sure to only access things through those, writing somewhere else in the container filesystem would fill your Docker image really quickly.

The appdata folder is mapped at /home/freefilesync/appdata and will contain logs, config and can be used to store profiles.

Notes: If the window does not seem to respond to mouse input it's because FreeFileSync's donation popup was spawned behind the main window. Drag the window a bit to reveal it.

Avoid minimizing the FreeFileSync window as similarly to other containers using this setup there is no way to bring it back. If someone knows a solution ping me in here... As found by @wacko37 below a middle-click will bring up a window list

Right-clicking in the blank space allows opening other instances.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Thanks 1
  • Kilrah changed the title to [Support] kilrah/FreeFileSync-VNC
4 hours ago, Alex.b said:

is it possible to trigger tasks automatically ?

Nope at least not at this point, but if I could find how to pass parameters it might be possible with a user script...

Personally I use FFS for the GUI so that implies being there, I'm using simple rsync/luckybackup for the scheduled things

8 hours ago, Alex.b said:

I only found FFS to able to sync from SFTP with SSH keys. All other docker I'd found can't do this.

Interesting

8 hours ago, Alex.b said:

Okay, thank your for your answer. I'll try to run manually from time to time ^^

Actually I thought of the way, if you save your config as a batch job file in the appdata folder this should work:

- Install the User Scripts plugin

- Create a new script, add

docker exec FreeFileSync-VNC /opt/freefilesync/Bin/FreeFileSync_x86_64 /home/freefilesync/appdata/BatchRun.ffs_batch

(replacing the batch file / container names as appropriate of course)

Then enable scheduling on the script as desired.

I don't really have a real-world case to test with, but I did set up a dummy job and test that and yes as expected a 2nd instance of FFS starts and runs the job just fine.

Note the considerations in https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=command-line for batch jobs not to get interrupted by popups etc

Edited by Kilrah
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

You'd have to build the container yourself, basically take my Dockerfile and replace the 

wget -q https://freefilesync.org/download/FreeFileSync_11.23_Linux.tar.gz

with something to source the file for the donation edition... more adjustments may be needed if the archive format/contents are different. 

Haven't had the donation edition for a while and never used it under linux so can't really help...

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You'd have to build the container yourself, basically take my Dockerfile and replace the 

wget -q https://freefilesync.org/download/FreeFileSync_11.23_Linux.tar.gz

with something to source the file for the donation edition... more adjustments may be needed if the archive format/contents are different. 

Haven't had the donation edition for a while and never used it under linux so can't really help...

Thanks for the info, i've never made a container but it looks like something worth trying later if no one else has done it

Hey there! I was really excited to find this as a docker (thank you very much), since I have a little Dell Optiplex 3060 running MX Linux just for this purpose and would like to do away with it. However, I'm a bit miffed because when I connect to the VNC interface, nothing is clickable except for the maximize/minimize buttons in the top right. I completely removed the docker and reinstalled it with the same result. Is there something you can think of that I can check?

Thanks,

~K

24 minutes ago, Keek Uras said:

Hey there! I was really excited to find this as a docker (thank you very much), since I have a little Dell Optiplex 3060 running MX Linux just for this purpose and would like to do away with it. However, I'm a bit miffed because when I connect to the VNC interface, nothing is clickable except for the maximize/minimize buttons in the top right. I completely removed the docker and reinstalled it with the same result. Is there something you can think of that I can check?

Thanks,

~K

A couple other things:

I do have other dockers that work fine with VNC. I verified there are no duplicate ports in use and I also made sure that "view only" wasn't selected in the VNC viewer settings.

1 hour ago, Keek Uras said:

However, I'm a bit miffed because when I connect to the VNC interface, nothing is clickable except for the maximize/minimize buttons in the top right.

See the notes in the template and first post:

Notes: If the window does not seem to respond to mouse input it's because FreeFileSync's donation popup was spawned behind the main window. Drag the window a bit to reveal it.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Resolution/Window was very little.

How changed/expand this to Full HD, 1240x1080 or another Resolution.

Failed Permissions on some Folders.

I have no Root Permission Option in the Template. Privileged Permissions is not enough for the Access to this Folders. For example UD Disks with Slave Mount Option.

No Option to protect the Webinterface/Connection with a Password.

Edited by Revan335
  • 3 months later...
On 8/27/2022 at 7:50 PM, ocyberbum said:

Thanks for the info, i've never made a container but it looks like something worth trying later if no one else has done it

@ocyberbum Did you have any luck creating the docker container? I want to do this exact thing but I can't make heads or tails of how to make my own private docker container...or public for that matter. I'm rather new to docker. Any tutorials or tips would be most helpful!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 12:52 PM, FCA Administrator said:

@ocyberbum Did you have any luck creating the docker container? I want to do this exact thing but I can't make heads or tails of how to make my own private docker container...or public for that matter. I'm rather new to docker. Any tutorials or tips would be most helpful!

Sorry, i missed this question but , no :(  but i did email Zenju and heard nothing so im guessing i will have to find someone that has made one so i can figure out a way to show Proof of purchase. 

Edited by ocyberbum

Question about filesync and using it to sync two unraid servers , before one of my servers crashed i had this working but not now, i am having to mount one folder at a time and before i could mount the root shares and use freefilesync and it would show all the folders for me at one time to sync, So i was hoping someone could let me know what im missing or doing wrong

Thanks

here is a screen shot of  #2- server mark-2 that i am copying files too: i have root share mounted and bought software

612649454_OperaSnapshot_unraid2.thumb.png.850b3638f2bda91a1e2c02b5efc4c6a9.png

here is a screen shot of #1- server 1 with the source files: i can mount the share Bought Software from server 2 but only that one and not Root Share

855148727_OperaSnapshot_2023-03-042.thumb.png.b8154dce3d40ae10223770958bd745bb.png

freefilesync screenshot

freefilesync.thumb.jpg.ae04c750bb7f3ea5002f6503ea6cd387.jpg

unraid share list of #2 Server

freefilesync2.thumb.jpg.ce30ce112c8e0c16dfc3bf3800165c7a.jpg

What paths have you given in the freefilesync template? For remote mounts you might need to give the mounted folder instead of an upper level, and/or edit the path variable and change type to Slave mode

Also it seems you have a remote mount of itself? What would that be for?

Edited by Kilrah
11 hours ago, Kilrah said:

What paths have you given in the freefilesync template? For remote mounts you might need to give the mounted folder instead of an upper level, and/or edit the path variable and change type to Slave mode

Also it seems you have a remote mount of itself? What would that be for?

Well.. The paths you wanted i thought were listed on the pic below freefilesync screenshot above. Both are linked to /mnt:  the remote mount to itself is created when i use the add Root Share, which i assumed means it puts all your shares under one link to avoid having to do individual links to each share of that unraid server and use its Remote Root Share to get all of the shares under one link in freefilesync.   etc

I looked at the Global Settings to see if something needed to be changed but i have never changed these before , in the FileSync Docker i have path 1 and 2 pointing to /mnt for both so last time i went to path 1 \user which list all my shares server 1 and on path 2 i goto remotes and it shows the 2 shares i added individually with "add remote shares" menu under Main Tab

so after going over this i guess the problem im having is when i add a remote share on server #1 (the pic below) it doesn't show the Root Share user.pool.col2 for server 2, just the individual shares. if the remote share could find server 2's  user.pool.col2 in the list added below i think it would work  for sure, I am not sure why or how to get freefilesync docker itself to list all the SMB Shares by putting in a link like SMB:\\ip address or colossus-mk-2 in the box directly using the network directly  

addremoteshare.jpg.b2aea4dda248fd4dc223c2bedf07fe04.jpg

1624445679_globalsettings2.thumb.jpg.a7883b0055d108ce47451502099d5df5.jpg

693034161_path1.thumb.jpg.e87b1e68b481708145911ca0d20f28c8.jpg

image.png

Ok after some quality google time and thinking about what Kilrah said ... i believe i found out what i did last time to get my all my shares to show in freefilesync with 2 unraid servers, This spaceinvaderone video gave me the how 2 to create the rootshare

image.thumb.png.c4cf45de2b1a6b34fb7c1fedf341bd81.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM9pPz732Gc&t=158s&ab_channel=SpaceinvaderOne

for a public share (not advised)
[rootshare]
path = /mnt/user
comment =
browseable = yes
# Public
public = yes
writeable = yes
vfs objects =

Code used in the video.
For a share with security
[rootshare]
path = /mnt/user
comment =
browseable = yes
valid users = 
write list = 
vfs objects =

Thank You Kilrah and SpaceinvaderOne for the video, now i can sync all my files with ease!