We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Disk Won't Stay Spun Down

Go to solution Solved by bobby,

hpnas-diagnostics-20220801-1911.ziphpnas-diagnostics-20220801-1911.zip

Hi,

I've noticed lately that my HDD no longer spins down automatically or stays spun down more than a few seconds when manually spinning it down.

I'll try to cut to the chase as I've been at this for a couple of days and done a complete reinstall as nothing helped via the forum posts.

So basically I have wiped my USB and done a fresh install of Unraid on it.

I am running a Mini PC which has 1 x TB SSD, 1 x 256 GB NVME (both internal) and 1 x 12TB HDD Via USB. I have been running this set up for well over a year.

I set the 12TB to Disk1 and set two separate caches for the SDD & NVME.

I set the Shares so everything is either Prefer Cache or Yes, so no direct HDD access.

Nothing is installed. No Docker Or Plugins, like I say fresh and yet my HDD will not stay spun down.

I have set Disk1 to spin down after 15 mins in the Global and individual disk setting. If I press 'SPIN DOWN' the disk will spin down for about 10 seconds then spin back up.

Any Ideas? I have tried all the open files, file activity plugins to no avail before this drastic approach, so have done a complete reset to determine whether this is an UNRAID bug.

Edited by bobby
  • 3 months later...

I want to add to this topic

There is strange thig. i have two almoust identical unraid configurations at home. 

One is older. Started with 6.9.2 and than updated it to 6.10.3 and all my disks spins down and stay down. no problems there

The second system is newer and i instaled there 6.10.3 and  the weird thing is that some drives go to sleep and some don't. even those not mounted do not want to spin down even when i spin them down manualy they just start up. i dont know if the path of upgrade means something or not.

on the third system 6.11.3 that i set up in my work 11 disks wont stay spun down at all. when they is put to sleep manualy thy stay that way for about 10 seconds and  start one by one. there is bug for sure. this unraid is new and now empty so no files are opened there. all appdata, system and such are on cache pool. disks are totaly empty. 

10 minutes ago, MoherPower said:

I want to add to this topic

There is strange thig. i have two almoust identical unraid configurations at home. 

One is older. Started with 6.9.2 and than updated it to 6.10.3 and all my disks spins down and stay down. no problems there

The second system is newer and i instaled there 6.10.3 and  the weird thing is that some drives go to sleep and some don't. even those not mounted do not want to spin down even when i spin them down manualy they just start up. i dont know if the path of upgrade means something or not.

on the third system 6.11.3 that i set up in my work 11 disks wont stay spun down at all. when they is put to sleep manualy thy stay that way for about 10 seconds and  start one by one. there is bug for sure. this unraid is new and now empty so no files are opened there. all appdata, system and such are on cache pool. disks are totaly empty. 

You should start your own tread and post diagnostics.