Unraid 6.11.1 - virtiofs with Windows 10 VM

Please pardon my lack of knowledge but I access Unraid shares from my Win10 VM using the file share path directly (\\<unraid_hostname>\<share>) instead of mounting as a windows drive.  Would there be any benefit to me upgrading to 6.11.1 and using the new virtiofs driver?

Thanks in advance

Edited by bwnautilus
1 hour ago, bwnautilus said:

Please pardon my lack of knowledge but I access Unraid shares from my Win10 VM using the file share path directly (\\<unraid_hostname>\<share>) instead of mounting as a windows drive.  Would there be any benefit to me upgrading to 6.11.1 and using the new virtiofs driver?

Thanks in advance

Performance,  but I would stay with shares at present until we solve the freezing issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/4/2023 at 7:32 PM, unraidersofthelostark said:

I can confirm the issue persists if the service is manually started/restarted/or set to delayed start. I was also unsuccessful getting multiple shares passed through. However now that I have the /user folder passed through I'm backing up 40TB for $70/year :D 

No issues with Backblaze freezing up when scanning drive?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone figure out the permission issues yet?  I am running a win11 VM and I can access my virtiofs mount with winFsp.   the services are set to start automatically.  I can create a folder in any existing location whether that is at the root level or within existing subfolders of the mounted drive but once inside this new folder, I cannot create anything as permissions break.  Permissions also reveal that user "S-1-5-0" has full control and "Everyone" has Read & Execute.

• 2 months later...

Just set up my first Windows VM using VirtIO-FS

I only appear to be able to access one share at a time. I can access any share I like as long as it's only 1!

I changed to order, deleted, re-added, but it appears whatever the last share in the VM config, is the one that the VM sees.

I've checked in Device Manager, and I'm seeing a VirtIO FS system device for each share I've added.

image.png.3d7e3505a52ca8c9947bd795d3122dbb.png

I've tried uninstalling, re-installing. Adding/removing shares, but no joy.

And I have added the dependency for VirtioFsSvc to WinFSP.Launcher, as per SpaceInvaderOne's video.

Am I missing something?