VirtioFS Support Page

On 7/28/2024 at 10:50 AM, kadajawi said:

The day I wrote that it's stable it stopped being stable again. Can't find files and folders that are too long though. Oh well. It seems to be a different problem though, as rebooting will solve the issue, rather than shutting down and starting up again.

I've been running 7 since it was the 6.13 closed beta and have had only minor issues. Not even a crash. I suggest trying Unraid 7 and see if it helps. If not roll back.

Does anyone have updated instructions on making this work with Backblaze? I'm finding that it refuses to back up anything from virtiofs shares. Looking at logs, it looks like it tags the drive as empty on first install (and indeed, the share/z: suddenly won't load). If I reboot or restart the virtiofs service it loads again fine, but seems to still have issues and never upload the file.

Edit: When backblaze installs, it scans for files. It seems this scan causes the virtiofs service to fail. The service is still running, but the drive stops working. If I restart the service in Windows, it crashes before coming back up in a working state. Is version 248 known to have issues? Where are logs in Windows?

Edited by rampantandroid
On 8/2/2024 at 3:29 PM, rampantandroid said:

Does anyone have updated instructions on making this work with Backblaze? I'm finding that it refuses to back up anything from virtiofs shares. Looking at logs, it looks like it tags the drive as empty on first install (and indeed, the share/z: suddenly won't load). If I reboot or restart the virtiofs service it loads again fine, but seems to still have issues and never upload the file.

Edit: When backblaze installs, it scans for files. It seems this scan causes the virtiofs service to fail. The service is still running, but the drive stops working. If I restart the service in Windows, it crashes before coming back up in a working state. Is version 248 known to have issues? Where are logs in Windows?

I have mine set up with individual drive letters for each share, and Backblaze has been stable for several months now. I have 10 TB backed up

5 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I have mine set up with individual drive letters for each share, and Backblaze has been stable for several months now. I have 10 TB backed up

Do you know what versions of virtiofs and winfsp you're using? For me, it consistently fails to handle a share with ~2TB on it. During install of Backblaze the virtual drive dies, and then if I let the VM run when backblaze tries to scan again, it'll fail again. I've fed the VM anywhere from 8GB of RAM to 16GB.

I can try adding a new share with a few files on it and see if THAT works.

Edited by rampantandroid
8 hours ago, rampantandroid said:

Do you know what versions of virtiofs and winfsp you're using? For me, it consistently fails to handle a share with ~2TB on it. During install of Backblaze the virtual drive dies, and then if I let the VM run when backblaze tries to scan again, it'll fail again. I've fed the VM anywhere from 8GB of RAM to 16GB.

.248 Virtio drivers. WinFSP 2.0.23075.

Maybe go into device manager and make sure the Virtiofs device is not using an older driver sitting in the driver store. I've seen that before.

image.thumb.png.bcaff16fef2330d5a08852e607e0b5ed.png

Edited by mackid1993
On 8/5/2024 at 2:29 AM, rampantandroid said:

Have you been able to resolve this? Are you on 7?

I'm having the same issue but I am on 6.12.10.

Thanks!

On 8/12/2024 at 12:14 PM, intoran said:

Have you been able to resolve this? Are you on 7?

I'm having the same issue but I am on 6.12.10.

Thanks!

I have not. VirtioFS is completely useless for me. Attempting to read files it'll always fail for me on Windows 10 and Windows 11. I haven't tried Linux VMs. I followed the instructions posted in this thread to install WinFSP and the ISO with support drivers.

Whether I'm mass copying files off the virtual drive or Backblaze is trying to enumerate files to back up, the virtiofs drive blows up after a couple of minutes and I have to restart the winfsp and the virtiofs services or just reboot.

I'm on 6.12.11 and most up to date winfsp and driver ISO used. I verified the correct drivers are loaded. I turned on logging for virtiofs and got no immediately obvious failure. I've just kinda given up on it as the functionality seems to be broken.

The only thing I haven't tried is if the issues are related to my using ZFS instead of a traditional Unraid array backed by XFS.

Edited by rampantandroid

I've additionally upgraded to the 262 version of virtio tools from the Fedora site - this still has issues. I don't know if this is just some issue with libvirt that is in unraid. 8.7 is from 2022.

Edit: I additionally turned on hugepages. I doubted they would help and indeed they made no difference.

Edited by rampantandroid
5 hours ago, rampantandroid said:

I've additionally upgraded to the 262 version of virtio tools from the Fedora site - this still has issues. I don't know if this is just some issue with libvirt that is in unraid. 8.7 is from 2022.

Edit: I additionally turned on hugepages. I doubted they would help and indeed they made no difference.

If you are using 6.12 series the version of virtiofsd is old and not the not rust version 

7 hours ago, SimonF said:

If you are using 6.12 series the version of virtiofsd is old and not the not rust version 

Yeah, I know that qemu and libvirt are both 2022 versions and we’ll get new ones on Unraid 7. For now I’m going the wasteful route of feeding my VM a 5TB virtual disk and copying data to it. I’ve got the space in my array to do it for now and hopefully virtiofs works correctly soon. 

On 8/14/2024 at 4:10 PM, rampantandroid said:

Yeah, I know that qemu and libvirt are both 2022 versions and we’ll get new ones on Unraid 7. For now I’m going the wasteful route of feeding my VM a 5TB virtual disk and copying data to it. I’ve got the space in my array to do it for now and hopefully virtiofs works correctly soon. 

It's possible you have some file names/paths that are over 255 characters long. Windows doesn't support this and it will cause VirtioFS to crash. Something like this may help: https://github.com/deadlydog/PathLengthChecker

ViritoFS is totally stable, I've been using it for months and months with zero crashes and have 10 TB backed up to Backblaze. It's something else causing your issues.

Edited by mackid1993
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2024 at 3:29 AM, rampantandroid said:

I have also experienced this. I mounted /mnt/user/ to Z drive in VM then when Backblaze scans, it just hangs, and then after a while the Z drive is not accessible anymore. I will try the path checker tool.

On 8/5/2024 at 9:04 AM, mackid1993 said:

I tried to map individual drives for each share and Backblaze successfully scans the drives. I'm not successful when I map the whole  /mnt/user/ to 1 drive. But before that, I removed the files and paths that were 255 characters long and if I can't remove it, for some reason, I just don't sync it in Backblaze. I don't know if it helps but currently, Backblaze is backing up my files and I'm happy with my setup. 👍

15 hours ago, HHUBS said:

I tried to map individual drives for each share and Backblaze successfully scans the drives. I'm not successful when I map the whole  /mnt/user/ to 1 drive. But before that, I removed the files and paths that were 255 characters long and if I can't remove it, for some reason, I just don't sync it in Backblaze. I don't know if it helps but currently, Backblaze is backing up my files and I'm happy with my setup. 👍

Well those paths aren't supported by Windows but are fine in Linux so that could explain the crash.