Where is your server located?

I was just wondering where you guys have your unRaid servers located.  I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, but felt it was appropriate since it's a little on the compulsive side.  We all know HDDs are sensitive to vibrations so I'm wondering if you guys have your servers located in the same room as your home theater or in a different room.

I currently have mine located in another room upstairs while my HT is downstairs.  I don't know how many HDDs I'd kill if my server were located in the same room as my subwoofer.

The network panel and coaxial cable termination is in my master bedroom closet, so that's where the cable modem, router, first switch, temperature monitor, and server are located.

I previously built shelves there for clothes storage, with plans for a server on the top shelf. That top shelf got the attention it deserves; 2"x3" stud framing, with screws into every stud I could find, and a 3/4" melamine shelf. It works perfectly there.

My server is in my office (a.k.a. my lab).  This room contains my desktop computer, my personal server, and (at the moment) three test servers and a fourth motherboard testing rig.  My router and modem are also in this room.  I run a 100 ft Cat6 cable out to the living room to connect my HTPC, game console, etc.

I too have wondered if sound from a subwoofer could damage your hard drives over time, but I've never read anything conclusive about it.  I also used to worry about placing hard drives next to a sub and having them magnetically erased, but I've been assured that this isn't a problem either.

unRAID server is inside an previously unused TV cabinet (who uses those anymore?) in the media room.  Just had to make some mods to ensure I had sufficient airflow when the front doors were closed.  Switches, modem, and all the other gadgets are in the cabinet.

My unRAID server sits in my utility room (split-level house). I figure it is a utility appliance, so it can sit with my hot-water heater and furnace, etc.

It is in the bottom shelf of my utility shelf, with all the rest of my networking equipment scattered about above it, cable modem, switches etc.. The house itself is wired for cat 5a. The fans are kind of loud, but it makes no difference where it is sitting. If can compete with the other equipment, and there is no noticeable 'extra' noise in the rest of the house that way.

The server has proven so reliable that it has not moved from it's place, except for the recent motherboard upgrade for about 10 months. I figure it will sit there for years. I have 5 in 3's, so adding more drives as needed is no problem, and requires no movement of the server itself.

It is in a quiet, out of the way spot, and no one but me sees it.

I like it like that.

Bruce

My server is in my office (a.k.a. my lab).  This room contains my desktop computer, my personal server, and (at the moment) three test servers and a fourth motherboard testing rig.  My router and modem are also in this room.  I run a 100 ft Cat6 cable out to the living room to connect my HTPC, game console, etc.

I too have wondered if sound from a subwoofer could damage your hard drives over time, but I've never read anything conclusive about it.  I also used to worry about placing hard drives next to a sub and having them magnetically erased, but I've been assured that this isn't a problem either.

I know for sure my subwoofer will damage spinning harddrives, but that's only because I'm using this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-666 in a custom box powered by this: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EP4000.aspx. ;D

Mine like Rajahal is in my office. I keep it in my closet with the door off since I built a shelf system to house it. I ran Cat5E through the house and one drop behind my TV in the livingroom and in my guest room so they can watch Movies or Tv shows.

However I do have a smaller TV in my office that I often do watch some media on now and then when I'm chased out of the living room or guest room. ;)

Old unRAID server is in the workshop adjacent to the back of the theater.  I have basically the identical power amplifier, but powering a pair of Ascendent Audio Avalanche 18" drivers, each in a sealed 12.5 cubic foot enclosure.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpost.php4?p=249623&postcount=22

better picture of the drivers here, taken when still building the enclosures: http://tinypic.com/ih1qvb.jpg

13L total displacement makes for a very dramatic experience..  Equalized to be flat to the single digits.  There is a lot of infrasonic material in many movies.   Had to weatherstrip the closet doors.  At 17Hz they were moving about 1/2 inch in their frames.  Doorknobs were rattling... cushioned their shafts with foam rubber too.  

New unRAID server is on second floor in a spare room.  No subwoofer in sight.

Vibration is not an issue with either... ;D

Joe L.

Under stairs in my basement I have a room with patch panel to wired ethernet all over the home.  24 port gigabit switch.  Internet comes into that room as does phone.  Whole house music system also there, as well as a few other toys.  2 unRAID servers live happily there.

I setup the unRAID server, Backup server and all desktop systems in the HVAC room in the basement.  It stays mostly dust free and temp is an average 68 degree's.  Its nice having all the systems in one location, makes upgrades and maintenance a breeze. Each of the desktop systems connect to a gigabit switch w/fiber uplink to 2 other gigabit switches in the house.  Each TV in the house is used as a monitor and has a usb/video to cat6 converter to the desktops in the server room.  Its nice only having a keyboard/mouse/monitor(tv) in each room.  No noise... no bulky mess. If anyone needs a dvd-rom it just simply plugs in to the usb, use it then store it away. The theater room is just on the other side of the server room wall with sound deadning material between them.  Basicly all thats seen in the theater room is the face of the HTPC thats flush with the wall itself.

• 1 month later...

My server (1st unRAID) is in the basement with about 5-6 feet to the washer/dryer, and 7 feet to the furnace (Nat Gas) It is always cool there 60*-70* year round. It has been there for about 16-17 months with just one hard drive lost. (It was an old recommissioned drive from an NAS I had before the unraid build, Probably 4 years old at time of failure.)

In my bedroom, and each of my two kids bedrooms, as well as the Family room, and living room I have PC's that feed the HDTV in those rooms, one is going on 6 years old with no HD failures. (The PC that is about 6 years old is on more then the server.)

I can see vibrations causing HD failures if it is very close to a sub-woofer, but not just because it is in the same room. I wouldn't worry to much about that.