[SOLVED]Yet ANOTHER...'Replacing Drives' Question

OK, so...first; back up and running...and I'm very happy, and very thankful!

Now...can we talk recovery just a bit? Since I've never been through anything like this before...I've never been through, any kind of recovery before.

I've put the disk we reiserfsck(ed) back in, as an unassigned device...and mounted it. Now...if I browse it through Windows; I see a lot of my file structure intact

My shares...and my dirs in those shares

unr26.jpg.2668c3b31c98c02e3021fb4404c04633.jpg

unr27.jpg.fbd385a6f369b98e3134edeaa46aca95.jpg

In some cases..."recovery" seems quite intuitive. Here are some movie-files (don't judge), that seem intact. Copy them back into the array; ta-da!

z1.jpg.29d4875575d7dceb6b7f81130fdee2a1.jpg

I don't seem to have access, to lost+found...through Windows (a permissions thing). But browsing it through "unRAID"...I have lots of this (as previously discussed)

z2.jpg.c55518e0bbd4cb33d2e05697f9fa1f09.jpg

And if I go into 6_215, for example; there is Welcome to my DNA (an album rip)...seemingly intact

z3.thumb.jpg.ee394612c4bf67a6c34282c7e1834efa.jpg

So...is this what it is; just scouring around, every nook and cranny of this ~3T disk...looking for intact data? Or am I missing something...much, much easier?

On 2/15/2023 at 8:12 PM, trurl said:

I was just talking about lost+found. You would have to figure out where they belong.

I expect the other folders are OK and you can just copy them back to their user shares.

Oh, sorry. I had read what you said...but it didn't quite register, until I posted...re-read it; and realized you kinda answered my question...before I even asked it.

1 hour ago, CDLehner said:

And if I go into 6_215, for example; there is Welcome to my DNA (an album rip)...seemingly intact

z3.thumb.jpg.ee394612c4bf67a6c34282c7e1834efa.jpg

So...is this what it is; just scouring around, every nook and cranny of this ~3T disk...looking for intact data? Or am I missing something...much, much easier?

This almost certainly means that it was just the container folder name that was lost so if you recognise the contents you can rename that folder back to what it should be and then put it into its correct place in the disks folder structure.

The hardest things to sort out would be any files that now only have the numeric cryptic name.   As was mentioned the Linux file command can give you the file type (and thus it’s likely file extension) if you want to examine these further.

Thanks trurl (man...how do you guys know all this stuff? I'm sure that's probably child's play to you; but seriously). And with that...I think it's time for a [SOLVED].

What a long, strange trip it's been...

unr6.jpg.2679ebf9ca0ef8713b43b0dd6fd4750f.jpg

We started off, with reducing the number of disks in my array; to re-formatting ALL my disks...to recovery. Again...can't thank everyone enough! I just hope, you'll be able to point to this thread going forward...and help some other dumb-a$$ like myself.

I lost some stuff, no doubt; but...for the most part...I'm happy with what I got back (couple of things, that are unrecoverable. Well...at least for now).

Signing off.

Edited by CDLehner
  • CDLehner changed the title to [SOLVED]Yet ANOTHER...'Replacing Drives' Question