No Access to Protected SMB Shares

Revan335
Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

1 hour ago, Revan335 said:

Can a Parity Check, Sync .... be the cause, this running scheduled quarterly or after a unclear/unclean shutdown?

NO.  Because the parity operations are only done on the physical array disks.  (In fact, I am puzzled that a reboot did not fix it.  I can only suspect that some process (VM, Docker, shell script) ran soon after bootup to change the permissions.  There is only  one stored configuration that is not a normal text file and that is the /config/super.dat file.  There might be some permission configuration data in that file for the /mnt directory.  @limetech would be the only one who would have that information.  He might know why a reboot did not fix permissions for the directories in the /mnt directory.) 

This is the first time that I can ever recall seeing something like this.  I would be looking at a VM (or Docker) that is not properly setup.  (A Linux VM would be more likely suspect than a Windows VM since Unraid uses a Linux OS.)  Have you downloaded and Docker Apps from anywhere but the Apps tab?   Dockers are well known for creating permission problems on the array.  These are usually caused by the Docker not using the proper user and group when it writes files to the array.  Often the permissions are more restrictive than Unraid needs and this can cause problems too.  Recent releases of SMB have also tightened file security and these changes often mean that file writing settings that use to work, no longer do. 

With VMs, make sure that any mappings back to the Unraid file system are pointed only to a User Share.  If you allow the VM to go any further up the directory tree from a User Share, there is a risk that the user will forget where he is and perform actions to the Unraid file structure rather than on the VM's file structure.   (I am presuming here that the 'user' is not a maleficent person.)