After changing usb due to corruption, I can't connect to my SMB shares

Dismes
Go to solution Solved by Dismes,

As the titles says, my server had a error and i had to replace the usb drive, after that I couldn't  access the smb share via the network drive i setup on my windows 11.  I am currently on unraid Version 6.12.4.  The way i originally set it up was using space invader's video 

I set it up using the public share.

Sorry if something is hard to understand, English isn't my first language.

Thanks

tower-diagnostics-20230910-1934.zip

8 hours ago, Dismes said:

after that I couldn't  access the smb share via the network drive i setup on my windows 11. 

What error message are you getting on your Windows 11 computer?  (A screen capture of the error message might help ---and I realize it might be in your native language.)

Another thing to check is whether you can access the server using Windows Explorer (File Manager).   Try the following in the 'Address' box:

\\<Server_Name>

or

\\<Server_IP_Address>

My recent experience is that only one of the two will work, so try both.

Another thing to look at is this:

image.png.e87acf008121a47d6d2d3b25ea8d0343.png

Make that the Share Access user(s) have the proper credentials.  (Unfortunately, Unraid can not display the actual password as it is encypted by a hashing function.)  You can check that everything else is correct by editing the user(s).  (Myself, I would change the password for the user since I can't check that it was not corrupted when the USB drive failed.)

17 hours ago, itimpi said:

Not an answer to you issue, but you have a lot of .cfg files in the config/shares folder on the flash drive for shares that do not currently seem to exist.    It might be a good idea to delete the ones that really are spurious to clean up any future diagnostics.

Ill try to delete them tonight when I have a bit more time, i have never touched any files on the flash drive so i hope i don't do anything wrong

11 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

What error message are you getting on your Windows 11 computer?  (A screen capture of the error message might help ---and I realize it might be in your native language.)

Another thing to check is whether you can access the server using Windows Explorer (File Manager).   Try the following in the 'Address' box:

\\<Server_Name>

or

\\<Server_IP_Address>

My recent experience is that only one of the two will work, so try both.

Another thing to look at is this:

image.png.e87acf008121a47d6d2d3b25ea8d0343.png

Make that the Share Access user(s) have the proper credentials.  (Unfortunately, Unraid can not display the actual password as it is encypted by a hashing function.)  You can check that everything else is correct by editing the user(s).  (Myself, I would change the password for the user since I can't check that it was not corrupted when the USB drive failed.)

So here is the error i get when i try to access the folder image.png.0b2c13ee1d274bd812c20a44397574ac.png

i usually have it mapped to my z drive as a network drive, if that makes any sense.  I have also tried to make a user and accessing that way, i get the same error as above

11 minutes ago, Dismes said:

Ill try to delete them tonight when I have a bit more time, i have never touched any files on the flash drive so i hope i don't do anything wrong

There is not much that can go wrong as long as you are in the config/shares folder on the flash drive.   Even if you delete the wrong one then Unraid would automatically recreate one as soon as it finds a top level folder on the main array or a pool corresponding to a share.   The fact that you have all those superfluous ones suggests at some time in the past you accidentally created top level folders with those names, but have subsequently tidied things up.

2 hours ago, Dismes said:

So here is the error i get when i try to access the folder image.png.0b2c13ee1d274bd812c20a44397574ac.png

I am not sure how you rebuild your Unraid Flash drive when the other one was corrupted.   I am also not sure how long your server has used that Flash drive.   But you joined the forum back in 2018 so I assume that it might have been that old.  One of the problems is that certain Samba settings from those days were carried forward as 'Grandfathered' settings.  (Most these 'Grandfathered' had security issues associated with them and MS was banning their use in SMB.)

I am going to point you to a thread where there are instructions on how to set things using the current recommended settings.  I would suggest that you download the PDF file in the first post in this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

Also make sure that your Win11 computer is setup to be on a Private network.  The steps to do are shown below:

image.png.0d32a1bd854dbc83d46e0aeb77f7a185.png

Steps 1 & 2 will get to the place where you can check.  Step 3 shows the setting you want.  Use step 4 to make a change if required.

51 minutes ago, trurl said:

If I understand correctly, you are trying to create a rootshare. The current recommended way to do this is through the Unassigned Devices plugin.

Are your normal User Shares accessible?

image.thumb.png.022caaa76118508c9c59b76a472d36f0.pngI assume this is what you are talking about, I have tried setting it up but still cannot access it. 

33 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I am not sure how you rebuild your Unraid Flash drive when the other one was corrupted.   I am also not sure how long your server has used that Flash drive.   But you joined the forum back in 2018 so I assume that it might have been that old.  One of the problems is that certain Samba settings from those days were carried forward as 'Grandfathered' settings.  (Most these 'Grandfathered' had security issues associated with them and MS was banning their use in SMB.)

I am going to point you to a thread where there are instructions on how to set things using the current recommended settings.  I would suggest that you download the PDF file in the first post in this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

Also make sure that your Win11 computer is setup to be on a Private network.  The steps to do are shown below:

Steps 1 & 2 will get to the place where you can check.  Step 3 shows the setting you want.  Use step 4 to make a change if required.

Imma give this a look tonight and see if i can solve it this way.  For the USB, I have multiple different ones crash or corrupt over the year.  and each time i have backup and upload the files on the a new usb

59 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

image.png.28e8ea10fba39417f840d5391f05575b.png

I got this error when trying to make the shortcut

5 hours ago, Dismes said:

Could it possibly be the USB at this point? after my usb drive said it fail, i made a backup and copied that to another usb

Seems unlikely to me but if you are running off another flash drive then just check your share settings look as expected.

It might be worth trying \\ip-address\sharename type format and see if that works.  Could also be worth rebooting the windows machine before doing that to make sure there is nothing lingering on the Windows side.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

Did we ever get an answer to that?

Sorry i thought i replied you earlier, but by accessible do you mean by the server itself or by me? Any docker container seems to have access to files, aka plex.  I can't access the shares with my windows computer

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

Seems unlikely to me but if you are running off another flash drive then just check your share settings look as expected.

It might be worth trying \\ip-address\sharename type format and see if that works.  Could also be worth rebooting the windows machine before doing that to make sure there is nothing lingering on the Windows side.

I have tried the ipaddress sharename but i don't think it was working either, I can try again once I am home.  I tried to access the share using a different computer as well but with no luck. 

13 hours ago, itimpi said:

image.thumb.png.995e04452ce6d388735193fd74061aaf.png

I tried to map the the drive with the share name but it still didn't work