Transferring licence to different USB key [Solved]

SliMat
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all

OK, this is not quite as the subject appears as what I need to do is a bit more complicated than just transferring everything to a new USB key.

I have a production server which I need to migrate from and have not found an easy way to do this... so, what I plan to do is build the replacement server and set up all my apps/dockers/vms etc. When its all up and running I will take this to the datacentre where my production box is hosted and then copy the data from the old machine to the shares on the new machine over the LAN.

When this is done, the new machine will be used to replace the machine which is being decommissioned. 

However as I intend to set the new server up using a trial key, I would like to transfer the licence from the key in the old server to the key in the new machine, but without copying settings etc over. I just need it to activate my trial key so the new server works as I have prepared it offsite.

Can anyone tell me if this is simple and how to do it?

Many thanks

Edited by SliMat
  • 2 months later...

@JorgeB I'm hoping you can help. I have only just got round to transferring my licence from the decommissioned server to my new one.... I downloaded the Pro.key file from the decommissioned server, but cant find any "import" facility on the new server. Unfortunately the trial has expired and gone beyond the 15 day extension entitlement period... so, it now wont start.

Can you tell me where I need to place the Pro.key file in order to blacklist the old key? Thanks

37 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The .key file goes into the ‘config’ folder on the flash drive.

As I cant start the array, how can I access the Flash drive to put the pro.key file in /config folder as the server is 50 miles away?

Edited by SliMat
13 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you have the flash drive exported? I think it should be accessible even without the array started.

I dont think I do... sadly my home UnRAID machine is down as the USB key died and I cant get that working again and if I have a backup it would be on the home machine :( I uploaded the Pro.key file on one of my VPS which hosts a webserver... in the Tools > Registration GUI there is an option to Install Key and it asks for the key file URL... but when I put the URL of the webserver where the keyfile is hosted it still fails :( 

image.thumb.png.043aac9543cbb3f7ea756f4db347c8db.png

Edited by SliMat

OK, I managed to SSH to the /boot/config folder and imported the Pro.key.... then rebooted and "Replaced" the key... so, in case anyone else has this issue you can use something like WinSCP to access it ;-)

Thanks all

Edited by SliMat
  • SliMat changed the title to Transferring licence to different USB key [Solved]