Locked or frozen unraid - im lost

Go to solution Solved by Vr2Io,

Hey Unraid community,

I am having a problem with my unraid operation. I currently have a set up involving many pathways between unraid and 2 external computers (one downloads and one converts with handbrake). I am trying to set up the systems to request through overseerr, download, manually convert, then move the file to a plex folder to play through any device. The problem I am encountering is the unrid system crashes or locks up (no display, no reaction, unraid connect says its connected but no GUI access). this results in having to unclean shutdown my unraid server and that is very scary especially when it is currently going through 50tb of parity check in a day or so and wont complete. i thought it was the network switch i use but it looks like the network connection either fails then reconnects OR maintains connection for other devices during the freeze of unraid. I am at a loss at why the whole system fails. i have logs i believe i did correctly of before and after the crash but I havent posted them because I think they have personal info. any ideas?

Edit: i posted a PDF of my layout. I think it is great BUT if you have any tips or small changes, LMK. I dont have much coding experience so i may need a dumbed down version.

Zenithicus Server Setup.pdf

Edited by HIGHFLIII
adding file
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing obvious, a few segfaults, so start by running memtest, one other thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

ok I'll give it a try and report back. i turned on my NAS again and it has been performing its automatic parity check for an unclean shutdown but after i got back today, it is reported to have been down and unable to be connected through Unraid Connect. so, it sounds like it just failed. Once again, I will check doing your recommended methods and report back if it is all good

You don't want to even attempt to run any computer unless memory is working perfectly. Everything goes through RAM. The OS and other executable code, your data. Everything. The CPU can't do anything with anything until it is loaded into RAM.

Try memtest again after reseating RAM.

10 hours ago, HIGHFLIII said:

I'm not sure if this is THE problem but it is definitely a problem.

Even 1 error is too many and can cause unpredictable effects.

It might be worth doing the memtest again with less RAM modules plugged in.   Sometimes the memory controller can struggle to handle all RAM modules so individual ones check out OK but you get errors with them all plugged in.

Alright so here is an update.

My old RAM (in previous pictures) is the 2x16 G Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3600 with CL16-19-19-39.

My new RAM is 2x16 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4-3600 (idk CL)

I started by unplugging one old stick from the PC and ran memtest. It identified over 80k errors on the stick that remained. I swapped the same slot with the previously unplugged stick and ran memtest. I got one error with the message "FAIL" being delivered.

I took the new sticks and installed both of them in the old sticks place. I ran memtest again expecting a clean run but I'm only 20 minutes in and it is at 150k errors and growing.

Is it common for new RAM to fail so easily? Is there a factor I am missing?

17045004076625857104544304831395.jpg

I haven't lowered the clock rate but so far, adding additional information, after I uninstalled the two new sticks, I proceeded to test each stick individually on one DIMM socket each. After memtest each stick on one slot, only one of them came up with no errors and a PASS. So I too the good one and moved it over to the other slot (just to test the slot) and memtest said the stick was good again. So now I have to either figure out why one of the new sticks is failing OR I have 2 old sticks that failed AND 1 new stick that failed so I have to buy another set of 2x16 sticks DDR4. I wonder if you can use memtest as a reason to get covered by warranty?...

• Solution
Posted (edited)

From description, it show memory stick was good, just can't run in dual stick with current mobo, that's why I suggest you clock down the memory clock. Those problem are quite common and RMA those strick won't help much.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • 3 weeks later...

I ended up taking off an XMP profile in the bios which I believed was increasing performance. I am currently running dual stick and it has not collapsed once. but i do have a second set of DDR4 on standby just in case this happens again. IDK what causes sticks to fail. This is the first time I have had RAM fail on me for any computer I have built. I hope this helps and thank you all involved :)