2.5 gb network only operating at 1.0 gb (both up and down)

Go to solution Solved by jrmcmillan,

My Unraid server is a mini pc with an XFS array of 4, 4TB disks (including parity) and a 3, 250 GB CCD ZFS cache.  This works perfectly, acting as a backup to my main PC system and as a Plex media server.  Late in September, I upgraded my network from 1.0 gb to 2.5 gb.  The Unraid server worked perfectly for about one month.  Early in November, I noticed it stopped running at 2.5 gb and now only runs at 1.0 gb - both uploading and downloading.  I don't know when it quit running at 2.5 gb, but I don't think it was the result up upgrading Unraid to the latest version at the time - which I do rather quickly after a new release, but I cannot be 100% sure.

I can boot the mini pc with the USB drive to start Unraid or I can boot it up from the internal drive using Windows 11 with the USB drive removed.  I have tested the upload and download speeds when booted as a Windows 11 pc and have confirmed the network speed is 2.5 gb.  I even have a 2.5 gb USB adapter which tests at 2.5 gb when the mini pc is booted with Windows 11.  It also works with Unraid, but only at 1.0 gb.  Therefore, I don't think I have a problem with cables or the bridge.  My conclusion is there must be some configuration issue with Unraid that I cannot figure out.  FYI, the mini PC's NIC is an Intel Ethernet Controller 1225 V, but again, it works fine as a Windows 11 pc.

Any help will be appreciated as it is disappointing not being able to take advantage of the 2.5 gb (internal) network with my Unraid server.

mini12-diagnostics-20240101-1216.zip

• Solution

No.  Both the mini pc (the Unraid server) and my main Windows 11 pc are connected to the network.  I'm transferring files to/from the main pc to the mini pc configured as both an Unraid server and as a Windows 11 pc.  When it's an Unraid server, it transfers files at ~113 mb/s.  When it's a Windows 11 pc, it transfers files at ~250 mb/s.

I'm not a Linux guru...I don't know how to run iperf.

As I said earlier, it did work correctly for about a month, but something must have changed with respect to the configuration - but I have no idea what that might be.

For reasons completely unrelated to the network performance issue, I am totally rebuilding my disks with data (no parity while the data is being transferred).  The data is coming from my main Windows 11 PC and being written to the mini pc as an Unraid server.  Here's a screenshot.  You can see the data transfer rate is 123.7, which bounces around some based on the file size.  Clearly this is only transferring at 1.0 gb, not 2.5 gb.  I know I'm not getting the transfer rate I should be.  Running another test will only confirm the problem.  I'm hoping for a solution!

Screenshot 2024-01-02 105322.png

What is the size of the files that are being transferred.   (There is file overhead related to generating the file creation/location  and finding the physical space where the storage/retrieval ---on both the Windows and Unraid sides that can slow down transfer speed.  No files are transfer on either side when these processes are completed.) 

Edited by Frank1940

All my testing was done using a single 9 gb file, specifically to eliminate file size as a red herring.  (BTW, the screenshot I posted was taken while it was transferring a 250 gb Acronis backup file from my main pc to the Unraid server at the time.)  Also, I'm not being limited by physical disk speed either.  I've tested for that as well.  The first post in this thread says it all.  Using my 2.5 gb network, under Windows 11 I get ~250 mb/sec transfers; under Unraid, I get ~113 mb/s.

It seems pretty clear to me that either:  1) I have an Unraid configuration issue, or 2) Unraid Linux core (or driver) has got some problem.  Since I haven't seen much traffic suggesting a lot of other folks are having problems achieving 2.5 gb/s on their 2.5 gb networks, I'm guessing I've got some kind of configuration problem versus an Unraid (or Linux) bug - but I don't know what that might be.  That's why I reached out to the forum.

• Upvote 1

I downloaded iperf3 on my main Windows pc and tested it writing to the Unraid mini pc server.  The Unraid mini pc server is 10.0.0.112, the main Windows pc is 10.0.0.33.  Here's the result:

123759656_Screenshot2024-01-05092732.thumb.png.92a8543af24b76422e06bce11ffb51bd.png

This appears to me that the network is running at 2.5 gb.  However, below is a screenshot transferring a 9 gb file via Windows 11 copy/paste from the main pc to the Unraid server (MINI12):

498754171_Screenshot2024-01-05093144.thumb.png.51ec3e94954f6c8dbbd3c27b4abeb8ec.png

You can see this is only running at 1.0 gb.  I did not go through the trouble of hooking up a keyboard and monitor and rebooting the Unraid mini pc to Windows 11 and then copying a file to it.  But, having done it many times, it would have shown the transfer taking place at the 2.5 gb speed.

As I said in my original post, transferring files from my main pc to the mini pc Unraid server did work at 2.5 gb speed for about a month, then stopped and now only runs at 1.0 gb speed.  I'm still looking for help.

This problem has morphed.  I have discovered that when I log into the server using the network name (mini12) from my local Windows pc, the file transfer speed is slow (~110 mb/sec).  However, when I log into the server using the internal IP address (10.0.0.112 - which is fixed), the file transfer speed is at the full 2.5 gb network speed (~240 mb/sec).   I use Tailscale (plug-in version) to give me remote access to the server, but the issue is with respect to internal network access, not external.  Having said that, I'm guessing that when I use the server name (mini12), I'm using Tailscale's DNS system which runs at my external internet speed (1.0 gb), hence my internal file transfers are affected.

Therefore, I guess I've got a Tailscale configuration problem.  Are there any Tailscale gurus out there that can help?