[Support] binhex - Nicotine+

Overview: Support for Docker image arch-nicotineplus in the binhex repo.

Application: Deluge - https://nicotine-plus.org/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-nicotineplus/

GitHub: https://github.com/binhex/arch-nicotineplus

Documentation: https://github.com/binhex/documentation

If you appreciate my work, then please consider buying me a beer 

btn_donate_SM.gif

For other Docker support threads and requests, news and Docker template support for the binhex repository please use the "General" thread here

Posted (edited)

I just tried switching to this container from the other Nicotine docker. I had network set to none and the --net=container:OpenVPN-Client parameter set. In the OpenVPN-Client docker I added the port 6080 and 5900 so I can access the UI via VNC and it wont connect. I can access port 6080 but it is not the VNC interface. Container worked fine before I routed the network through OpenVPN. Not sure if I am missing something or misconfigured something.

Edited to 6080

Edited by Matrix
22 hours ago, Matrix said:

I just tried switching to this container from the other Nicotine docker. I had network set to none and the --net=container:OpenVPN-Client parameter set. In the OpenVPN-Client docker I added the port 6080 and 5900 so I can access the UI via VNC and it wont connect. I can access port 6080 but it is not the VNC interface. Container worked fine before I routed the network through OpenVPN. Not sure if I am missing something or misconfigured something.

Edited to 6080

Dont mind me, I am an idiot. Fixed it. Reading through the docker hub link I realized I need to use port 6080 to connect via vnc, but need to add the 

/vnc.html?resize=remote&host=<host ip>&port=<host port>&&autoconnect=1

after it. Now I just have 6080 mapped in openvpn just like before.

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted, i am also sharing networking with privoxyvpn for Nicotine+, its working a treat!, im currently coming up with a ingenious plan to share the assigned incoming port so i can then configure Nicotine+ to use it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, folic86 said:

I had this working, but restarted the container when it had locked up and now seems to be stuck "preparing shares" and it's not resolving the issue - every time I restart it, same happens 

so whats defined in nicotine/settings/shares? screenshot please

also left click the container select 'edit', change something, change it back to what it was and click apply at the bottom and paste the output text here.

59 minutes ago, binhex said:

so whats defined in nicotine/settings/shares? screenshot please

also left click the container select 'edit', change something, change it back to what it was and click apply at the bottom and paste the output text here.

I can't get it to load settings in VNC as it just locks up at this page - the share wheel doesn't spin image.thumb.png.908e106723f69eaa65a84b92930fcc18.png

docker run
  -d
  --name='binhex-nicotineplus'
  --net='host'
  --privileged=true
  -e TZ="Europe/London"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="WOPR"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="binhex-nicotineplus"
  -e 'TCP_PORT_5900'='5900'
  -e 'TCP_PORT_6080'='6080'
  -e 'VNC_PASSWORD'='REDACTED'
  -e 'WEBPAGE_TITLE'='Nicotine+'
  -e 'ENABLE_STARTUP_SCRIPTS'='no'
  -e 'PUID'='99'
  -e 'PGID'='100'
  -e 'UMASK'='000'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.webui='http://[IP]:[PORT:6080]/vnc.html?resize=remote&host=[IP]&port=[PORT:6080]&autoconnect=1'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/binhex/docker-templates/master/binhex/images/nicotineplus-icon.png'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-nicotineplus':'/config':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/mediashare/torrents/Nico+/':'/data':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/Music/':'/media':'rw'
  -v 'binhex-shared':'/shared':'rw' 'binhex/arch-nicotineplus'
a191cef62d2e3a2f78a36de9a403a62701ae13d80d462ed96819e39ca1664b39

The command finished successfully!

10 hours ago, folic86 said:

I can't get it to load settings in VNC as it just locks up at this page - the share wheel doesn't spin image.thumb.png.908e106723f69eaa65a84b92930fcc18.png

docker run
  -d
  --name='binhex-nicotineplus'
  --net='host'
  --privileged=true
  -e TZ="Europe/London"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="WOPR"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="binhex-nicotineplus"
  -e 'TCP_PORT_5900'='5900'
  -e 'TCP_PORT_6080'='6080'
  -e 'VNC_PASSWORD'='REDACTED'
  -e 'WEBPAGE_TITLE'='Nicotine+'
  -e 'ENABLE_STARTUP_SCRIPTS'='no'
  -e 'PUID'='99'
  -e 'PGID'='100'
  -e 'UMASK'='000'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.webui='http://[IP]:[PORT:6080]/vnc.html?resize=remote&host=[IP]&port=[PORT:6080]&autoconnect=1'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/binhex/docker-templates/master/binhex/images/nicotineplus-icon.png'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-nicotineplus':'/config':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/Music/':'/media':'rw'
  -v 'binhex-shared':'/shared':'rw' 'binhex/arch-nicotineplus'
a191cef62d2e3a2f78a36de9a403a62701ae13d80d462ed96819e39ca1664b39

OK open the following file with notepad++ or notepad:- /config/home/.config/nicotine/config then look for this line, here is what mine looks like:-

shared = [('Dance', '/media/Albums/Dance')]

Paste that line here, I suspect its incorrectly defined and thus nicotine has its knickers in a knot cos it cannot index it to share the files.

8 hours ago, binhex said:

OK open the following file with notepad++ or notepad:- /config/home/.config/nicotine/config then look for this line, here is what mine looks like:-

shared = [('Dance', '/media/Albums/Dance')]

Paste that line here, I suspect its incorrectly defined and thus nicotine has its knickers in a knot cos it cannot index it to share the files.

shared = [('media', '/media'), ('Nico+', '/data/Nico+')]

It seems to boot as I left it for a few hours, it's just very slow & lags a lot/locks up!

19 hours ago, folic86 said:

16 minutes ago, folic86 said:

shared = [('media', '/media'), ('Nico+', '/data/Nico+')]

so does '/mnt/user/mediashare/torrents/Nico+/Nico+' exist? cos that's what it is in effect by specifying '/data/Nico+', I assume it doesn't and should actually be:-
shared = [('media', '/media'), ('Nico+', '/data')]

2 hours ago, binhex said:

so does '/mnt/user/mediashare/torrents/Nico+/Nico+' exist? cos that's what it is in effect by specifying '/data/Nico+', I assume it doesn't and should actually be:-
shared = [('media', '/media'), ('Nico+', '/data')]

it does, yes I moved it to try and solve something

1 hour ago, folic86 said:

it does, yes I moved it to try and solve something

OK, i was just checking.

Also do keep in mind you have in effect shared your entire array, as you have set:-

3 hours ago, folic86 said:

('media', '/media'

And as /media is pointing at /mnt/user/ that is all user shares, if i did this in Nicotine i can guarantee it would either stop working due to sheer volume of content to index or would take days/weeks to index, thus i think this is the reason for your - 'it's just very slow & lags a lot/locks up!', i would recommend only sharing what you REALLY want to share, or at the very least share it in media type chunks e.g. /media/Movies, /media/TV, /media/Music etc.

EDIT - Actually I'm talking bollox, you have specified /media as /mnt/user/Music (could of sworn it was set to /mnt/user), so that SHOULD be fine, how large a music collection do you have in Gigabytes? for reference i am currently sharing around 130 GB and so far have not observed any slow down or lock outs, the media share index scan took about 30 mins. 

On 6/10/2024 at 1:24 PM, JonathanM said:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are you planning on VPNifying this like you have other peer to peer apps?

Same here, I have a bunch of your images running and Deluge + PIA autoconfiguring ports is just so cool.

Should I make this docker go though the delugevpn docker. It will not automagically use the port of the vpn docker isn't it?

Thanks a lot for your work BinHex ♥️

Edited by 0.o_Vince_o.0
9 hours ago, rikdegraaff said:

@binhex, I get the following error/note/warning from N+, and it doesn't start.

It stays at the following message:

You need to specify a username and password before connecting…

What can I do? I don't see in the template any username password field.

Thanks in advance!

same here...

14 hours ago, rikdegraaff said:

@binhex, I get the following error/note/warning from N+, and it doesn't start.

It stays at the following message:

You need to specify a username and password before connecting…

What can I do? I don't see in the template any username password field.

Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, knights_of_pine said:

same here...

are you guys not seeing the wizard on initial startup of nicotine+ where it asks you to create a username and password? screenshots from the container:-
image.thumb.png.c67d48f4402af3a1a50f20c07daa201f.png
image.thumb.png.8f2609381376b9307d19abd29b1e86b2.png
so basically enter in whatever username and password you like, obviously you will need to have a unique username that is not already in use and you should be good!.

10 hours ago, 0.o_Vince_o.0 said:

Same here, I have a bunch of your images running and Deluge + PIA autoconfiguring ports is just so cool.

Should I make this docker go though the delugevpn docker. It will not automagically use the port of the vpn docker isn't it?

Thanks a lot for your work BinHex ♥️

i am doing just this, routing nicotine+ network through privoxyvpn, but you could use any of my vpn images to do this, and yep at present there is no mechanism to get the assigned incoming port, but i am working on a cunning plan to pass the info so you can see what the port is set to.

• Like 1
On 6/10/2024 at 6:24 PM, JonathanM said:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are you planning on VPNifying this like you have other peer to peer apps?

In a word, no, instead network sharing is where I'm trying to go with any future docker images, maintaining VPN enabled docker images is hard work so i would prefer to keep the workload as light as possible and leverage existing VPN connectivity instead, as mentioned above I am working on a solution to read in the incoming port from a VPN enabled docker container, the tricky part is reconfiguring Nicotine+ when the port changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, binhex said:

are you guys not seeing the wizard on initial startup of nicotine+ where it asks you to create a username and password? screenshots from the container:-

so basically enter in whatever username and password you like, obviously you will need to have a unique username that is not already in use and you should be good!.

I have it running with networking through GluetunVPN container, and when I open the web ui I get the following in plain text.

RFB 003.003

�������Too many security failures

Nothing more nothing less.

I also added the 5900 port through GluetunVPN.

But still get the error as stated above...

2 minutes ago, rikdegraaff said:

Okay what VPN container do you support?

Mine :-), DelugeVPN, qBittorrentVPN, SABnzbdVPN, PrivoxyVPN, so any of those, if you only want a simple tunnel with the added bonus of proxy and socks server built in then go for PrivoxyVPN.

16 minutes ago, binhex said:

Mine :-), DelugeVPN, qBittorrentVPN, SABnzbdVPN, PrivoxyVPN, so any of those, if you only want a simple tunnel with the added bonus of proxy and socks server built in then go for PrivoxyVPN.

I forwarded it through my binhex-qBittorrentVPN container, and when opening local url 192.168.x.x:5900/6080, or cloudflare url it gives me now the following error: The connection has timed out.

In the log now the warning:

2024-06-12 15:26:48,276 DEBG 'start' stdout output:
[12/06/24 15:26:48] You need to specify a username and password before connecting…

2024-06-12 15:33:58,760 DEBG 'start' stderr output:

Wed Jun 12 15:33:58 2024
 Connections: accepted: 172.17.0.1::46436

2024-06-12 15:33:58,788 DEBG 'start' stderr output:
 VNCSConnST:  closing 172.17.0.1::46436: reading version failed: not an RFB
              client?
 EncodeManager: Framebuffer updates: 0
 EncodeManager:   Total: 0 rects, 0 pixels
 EncodeManager:          0 B (1:-nan ratio)
 Connections: closed: 172.17.0.1::46436
 ComparingUpdateTracker: 0 pixels in / 0 pixels out
 ComparingUpdateTracker: (1:-nan ratio)

2024-06-12 15:33:59,281 DEBG 'start' stderr output:

Wed Jun 12 15:33:59 2024
 Connections: accepted: 172.17.0.1::46442

2024-06-12 15:33:59,317 DEBG 'start' stderr output:
 VNCSConnST:  closing 172.17.0.1::46442: reading version failed: not an RFB
              client?
 EncodeManager: Framebuffer updates: 0
 EncodeManager:   Total: 0 rects, 0 pixels
 EncodeManager:          0 B (1:-nan ratio)
 Connections:
2024-06-12 15:33:59,317 DEBG 'start' stderr output:
 closed: 172.17.0.1::46442
 ComparingUpdateTracker: 0 pixels in / 0 pixels out
 ComparingUpdateTracker: (1:-nan ratio)