I'm at my wits end with these daily reboots! Please Help!

57 minutes ago, Geck0 said:

Well, look at it this way. If it turns out to not be the PSU, then you have a spare. 

It does sound awfully familiar though. Mine was going down randomly. It started off as reboots and then eventually it became crashes.

It could be the case that you're running something like the dynamix file check and the load is tipping the PSU over the edge. Especially if the capacitors are giving out. 

Any coil whine or ticking noises?

No coil wine or ticking noises. I do have that plugin though. I was actually thinking about disabling that one next as I was looking through the list. This has been going off and on for almost, what feels like a year now as I’ve slowly replaced parts throughout the year. No crashes just unclean shutdown reboots. Logs show nothing. 

7 hours ago, Geck0 said:

Well, if you figure it out, post it. the outcome will be interesting.

Will definitely buy a PSU this week and try that. I think it’s easier than dealing with one plugin at a time. And if anything I’ll have an upgraded one as I’ll get at least a 1000w this time form the 850. If it fixes it great, if not. One plugin at a time it is 😂

Yeah, I would plug for a 1500W Corsair. The fan doesn't even turn, so its pretty quiet and its been rock solid. If plugins were causing this much issue for you, there would be other people in the same boat and the unRaid guys would be all over it by now. Sometimes there are bugs, but not to the point of a failing system.

That's my thoughts anyway.

3 hours ago, Geck0 said:

Yeah, I would plug for a 1500W Corsair. The fan doesn't even turn, so its pretty quiet and its been rock solid. If plugins were causing this much issue for you, there would be other people in the same boat and the unRaid guys would be all over it by now. Sometimes there are bugs, but not to the point of a failing system.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Thats a good point it’s just strange in safe mode it’s rock solid. Why would the PSU care what mode it’s in? But it could be a plugin that runs that the PSU can’t handle it and it fails. So I guess it makes sense. 

6 minutes ago, Geck0 said:

That was quick. I have to wait over a week to get a new one, where I live it takes ages. Hence why I have spares.

Yep same day delivery with Amazon. I literally got it 2 hours after I ordered. Crazy. 

I don't want to discourage you, but In my case I swapped a modular PSU (kept the old cables) and the random reboots are still happening. Nothing in syslog. Last night it was at 3am after 3 days running without any issues. 

Screenshot2024-07-09at13_37_22.thumb.png.e9ac68363898c0c57df73b42dcfeaf33.png

Here follows the list of Docker images I run, do you see anything familiar? Most are now disabled to try to sort out the issue.  

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, guiper said:

In my case I swapped a modular PSU (kept the old cables)

Mostly for the others but never replace a modular PSU without changing cables unless you're 100% sure they're compatible... modular cables aren't standard and various brands/models will use different ones even within the same manufacturer, and you can fry your entire system instantly if they're different.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Upvote 1

I agree with Kilrah. I've actually done it before, using existing cables from a previous psu, that was a different manufacturer to the new psu.

Fortunately, not the motherboard, but there was a puff of smoke.

You also don't know if the old cables aren't the issue. Its best to clean install. All of that said, I've installed my current PSU, keeping the existing cables but the system wasn't that old and I knew it was the PSU that was done.

I still find it very unlikely that a plugin or app would cause this issue. Not impossible though.

50 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Mostly for the others but never replace a modular PSU without changing cables unless you're 100% sure they're compatible... modular cables aren't standard and various brands/models will use different ones even within the same manufacturer, and you can fry your entire system instantly if they're different.

Good point, but it's completely the same PSU a Corsair RM750X, only difference being the year, one being the 2018 version and the other the 2021 or similar (simply swapped PSU's with the gaming PC).

I can definitely try to swap the cables, if the issue continues, but I think I will start from the scratch with a clean installation.

it's possible that the situation started when I swapped from macvlan to ipvlan, as recommended, but apparently I can't change it back to macvlan on unraid 7. 

I replaced all the cables as well with mine. i was actually using custom cablemod cables with my EVGA.. I went with the corsair RM1000e and those use a type4 cable. So all new cables.. So far so good on my end here. No Reboots "yet" fingers crossed.. Sometimes i go 3 days before a reboot but its mostly once every 24hrs.. If i make it 4 days i would say the PSU fixed it.. At this point my machine is 100% new, every single hardware component.. If it still reboots you may see a guy from Chicago on the news for letting off an explosive on his server.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Probably best not to use beta software for something you want stable.

Fair enough, it was out of desperation that I tried to upgrade, hoping something in the kernel or similar fixed my issue. 

4 hours ago, guiper said:

Good point, but it's completely the same PSU a Corsair

EVGA blew up a couple of their customer's hard drives because they changed the pinout on the SAME MODEL PSU between batches - they only discovered it might be an issue after their customer RMAd a PSU and were told to keep the cables, and received another in return which had the 'newer' pinout.

If re-using modular cables, always always always tone out the pins to make sure they match.

Seriously? How annoying. It's difficult t9 diagnose when it happens, since you haven't got logs.

I k ow how you feel. I had the same issue for more than a couple of weeks. 

Maybe unclean power? Are you connected to mains or UPS?