Higher Hard Drive Prices Are the New Normal

Bradwheat

It is called GREED.

The industry used the floods that took down the hard drive companies as a point to keep prices high. It is just like gasoline prices in the US. For no real reason prices went from a comfy $1.99-$2.00 a gallon all the way up to $4.00 gallon. Now, the industry  saw this and jumped on the greed band wagon. Instead of lowering prices back to where they originally were they only dropped a small percentage. So the people that don't understand what happened now think $3.85 or whatever is a cheap price! People have very short term memory. Since they aren't thinking about that $2.00 price anymore and are fixed on that scarey $4.00 price, $3.50 sounds pretty good to them, hence no complaints. Basic run of the mill greed.

The prices will find their way back down again, it just is gonna take a while. Right now they're loving the profits, but soon enough one manufacturer will undercut another and prices will have to drop to stay competitive.

Though, it would not shock me if we're looking at a year or more before that happens.

You can not have it both ways. If the hard drive business is so unprofitable that every manufacturer bar two goes out of business, it should not be a surprise that the remaining companies want to make some profit.

Every business has to make a profit. It's not "profiteering" or "ripping you off" if the margins are 10 or 20%.

Don't get angry at the HD mfrs, get angry at jewellers and clothes retailers with their 50%+ margins (= 100 to 200% markup).

Having run a computer retail business, I know how little profit there is in computer products. It's so little that it's putting all sorts of computer related business to the wall.

Mine went out of business in 2009, after the global economic meltdown, but even before that, our margins were razor thin.

Personally, I haven't bought a drive since the floods, and the only ones I've looked at are the 4TB drives when I could get one for about £220. That was (and still is) a pretty good deal, when you take in to account the "port cost" of a 6-drive server.

I actually took advantage of the drive prices and sold about 6 of my smaller drives -- 300GB to 1TB in size. I got a good deal of money for them.

The prices will find their way back down again, it just is gonna take a while. Right now they're loving the profits, but soon enough one manufacturer will undercut another and prices will have to drop to stay competitive.

Though, it would not shock me if we're looking at a year or more before that happens.

Dirty CEO's are the culprit. Bigger bonus for themselves. That's just how it works with big business. Most deals are drawn out on a golf course. Not some meeting at a table.