Recent site outage

My web host provider, vps.net, decided to suspend my account without warning because it was "consuming too many resources."  No email telling me, "hey you better check your resources or we might suspend you", nothing.  Just wham, no more soup for you.  So even though I specifically moved to vps.net for a flexible solution to adding additional resources as necessary, they just decided to suspend the entire account.

Is there any web hosting service worth a damn?  That's what I want to know.

I know a couple of Host Gator users that are quite happy. And they do inform them of any issues before action is taken. And on the green side, they are supposedly fully wind powered. I've used some of my buddies space there for a while and connection speeds have always been fast and steady and I've not seen any down time in my use of them.

You can check out my personal friend empoweringmedia.com's hostcube service.

It wont be the cheapest solution. However it will be a solid solution. He also does managed servers too.

Monitors all sorts of resources for people.  Since I'm personal friends, I would get a heads up if there was a problem and could make a call if needed.

I've known the owner for over 22 years.

I use 5quid host.  Although it is a UK-based business, most of their servers are in USofA.  Their top plan, at £10/month, claims to be totally unlimited - whether that is true in practice, I cannot say - but it might be worth a look.  Then they offer 'Turbo' plans, with greater resources.

I've had issues with vps.net and moved away from them.  I now use iWeb.ca and have a dedicated server.  Look into that, as there "old" clearance servers are still very good for a busy website and just a bit more expensive than a vps.

Another client uses rackspace (more expensive) but he swears by them.

I be they will all have their issues.

The Amazon service (AWS) has a lot of buzz. Basically a remote virtual server that you use and configure.

Seems very flexible from what I've read. Has failover, regional site abilities, etc. in the same facilities with Amazons own servers.

It's a pay for what you use service but you own every aspect of the hosting, from configuring the server environment to development of the content.

My web host provider, vps.net, decided to suspend my account without warning because it was "consuming too many resources."  No email telling me, "hey you better check your resources or we might suspend you", nothing.  Just wham, no more soup for you.  So even though I specifically moved to vps.net for a flexible solution to adding additional resources as necessary, they just decided to suspend the entire account.

Without at least some sizing information, the recommendations are unlikely to match requirements. Our stuff includes geographic load balancing and pop caching. If you could get a RCA for the recent event and past usage growth, those would be good to discuss with future providers.

I used to have a web-site, and the first provider was pretty decent,...perhaps because I didn't have them for very long,..I didn't experience any horror stories. They were brought out twice over. The two new companies were a pain in the,......

They both would send me e-mail they essentially said that "if I didn't respond to the e-mail, they would add a few important additions to my account". I would fume at them that is no way to make an offer to a customer.

They also would drop service from time to time with no explanation.

But the worst was when a hacker dumped a bunch of files in my web area and scammed people into believing I was a well-known bank. Fortunately,..I haven't run a web-site in a long time!!! Nor would I recommend any site!

But the worst was when a hacker dumped a bunch of files in my web area and scammed people into believing I was a well-known bank. Fortunately,..I haven't run a web-site in a long time!!! Nor would I recommend any site!

This is what happens when you use shared hosting and the hosting provider does not handle user account security correctly.

I've seen this over and over. In fact in one case a website was accepting Credit Cards over ssl, but dumping them in clear text on the disk on a shared host. It so happened that the permissions allowed any user to access his account and access the credit cards.

VPS or managed hosting is the best way to go for a more complex full service website.

I've wrote many of nagios plugins to monitor security on my friends hosting service.

If the accounts sneeze out of line an alert is triggered and they are informed.

This is actually good.. If someone attempts to hack the site, hack a php hook or a php program goes awry they get informed.