Tvheadend plugin for unRAID V5.0

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good day everyone,

I'm a bit late jumping on the ship but I'm trying to get a media tree enabled version of Unraid 5.0.5. Since everyone is moving to Unraid 6, I decided to go ahead and compile my own media tree Unraid build. Sadly, I've tried following this guide: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Installing_Tvheadend_in_unRAID but the first step that requires to download the unraid tools to compile it is not working and I can't seem to find it elsewhere on the Internet.

Anyone got a 5.0.5 media tree build enabled (or could send me the compiling tools?) I've got myself a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 card but as expected, it is not detected by the TVHeadend plugin.

Thanks for any help! :)

[EDIT] I've decided to give Unraid 6 beta 9 a try and see if I can get Tvheadend working (although it seems to be the same situation where the last version compiled is for Beta 7... ;)

Versions beta7 and beta8 have a serious issue where files on your reiserFS disks can be corrupted. DONT USE THEM! You can use the media built of beta6 it's working great for me and wait until someone compiles beta9. If you want I can upload the build tools for 5.0.5 for you if I come home, I am the one who wrote that article :-P

Versions beta7 and beta8 have a serious issue where files on your reiserFS disks can be corrupted. DONT USE THEM! You can use the media built of beta6 it's working great for me and wait until someone compiles beta9. If you want I can upload the build tools for 5.0.5 for you if I come home, I am the one who wrote that article :-P

That would be great and appreciated! I have already moved to version 6 beta 9 but I'm guessing it would be passible to create a build for this version as well with your tutorial? If not, I'll do add you suggested and take beta 6 until someone makes it. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

currently i'm using a HP N54L with openelec on it as TV-Server/Share for all my xbmc clients in the house.

Works flawless, expect my shares do not have fail-safety.

So I'm currently searching for a good NAS software which i could run on my hp-n54l to setup a real raid system with fail-safety (redundancy) and Tvheadend.

I found Xpenology but it lacks of driver-support for my dvbsky dual dvb-s2 card. (and cross-compiling kernel-modules is simply to much effort)

Seems that there is no movement in this project at all..

So now i found unRaid.. I terms of a NAS-Software everything looks promising but from what i have read about tvheadend it seems a bit of stressful in terms of updating, switching to a never version of unraid? (you always need a new build of tvheadend and media dvb drivers?)

And currently there no Tvheadend Version / media dvb drivers for the last Version of unraid 5.0.5 or unraid 6Beta10a?

Is there still movement in this tvheadend-unraid topic?

Would you recommend switching? Or is unRaid not well suited for tvheadend?

Regards

firsttris

As far as I can tell, there is not much movement lately regarding TVheadend with Unraid. To me, this is the perfect setup having the TV tuner inside my server; that way, I can use it on any network device that supports TVheadend. But sadly, the last info I found was you needed to compile your own kernel to get the drivers in and the last one someone compiled was of Unraid 5.0.2 (from memory... basically not the latest 5.0.5 release) Since then, I've moved to Unraid 6 and I'm trying to get a Docker to work so I wouldn't need to compile the latest kernel at each release (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35503.msg330825#msg330825) but I only had limited time to check this out...

If you ever find something interesting, I'd be interested as well. If I get it up and running, I'll reply back. :)

With the current stable release 5.x a new kernel is needed for every new version. Piotrasd normally compiled those as he knows the required stuff and patches for the right kernel version. Same goes for version 6 of unRaid if you don't want to use virtualization. I am still confident that for me this is the way to go and hoping that piotrasd finds the time to compile 6.x with media drivers. If virtualization is feasible for you you can try and install openelec in a VM or Ubuntu and run tvheadend there.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Version 0.6 is depreciated and has been replaced by 0.7 this one is still online. ;)

For 6.0 media there is a 2.1 version of the plugin over in the other thread. (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17326625/tvheadend-2.1.64bit.plg)

For compilation you have to ask piotrasd, he knows how to compile it, maybe you can get him to update the wiki, this way everyone will benefit :)

I finally got this plugin installed in the latest v6 beta, but now it says... MEDIA tree: NOT DETECTED

DVB tuner: NOT DETECTED. What other files are needed? Does anyone have a link to what is needed? I am using the HDHomerun dual tuners. I am on 6.0-beta14b.

tia,

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Please could somebody give an unRaid newbie a friendly steer?

I've installed 6.0 beta 14b and am trying to get TVHeadend up and running.

I have read that the new release comes with TVHeadend pre-installed.  Is this correct?

If not could I please get a nod in the right direction?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have TVHeadend working fine with my Digital Devices DVB-S tuner card.  I have installed the media tree - kernel generic.

I also have a DVBSky T9580 that I would like to run along side the existing setup to give me a DVB-T2 tuner.  I see that there have been DVBSky releases on this forum, but they are all now gone.  Could I please get some advice how to add the driver for the T9580 to my TVHeadend setup?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I am interested in setting this up to be able to use through Kodi.  I am very new to unraid and I really don't know anything about setting up a PVR backend.  Are there some instructions on how and what I need to set this up?  I would like to know what TV cards I can use and do I have to install them on my server or are they external?  From what I understand, once tvheadend is installed on unraid server, it can be accessed from multiple kodi systems at the same time, right? I am trying to understand what I would need to get this up and running.

To set this up depends on a number of factors.

First question is are you looking for DVB-T, DVB-S, or DVB-C, might be helpful if you told us whereabouts in the world you are.  I'm in the UK and use DVB-T2 (Freeview HD) but I know another forum member in the UK uses DVB-S (Freesat) A lot of others use a Homerun device which essentially contains TV tuners and can then transmit the output over your home network. (I think this is fairly popular in the US?)

If you use a TV Card in your Unraid system you will need to get a so called Media-Build which is recompiled bzroot and bzimage files that has the Media function of the Linux Kernel enabled and contains appropriate drivers for your chosen TV Card.

Some of the forum members do this themselves at home, and then post these builds for others to use.  See this post from piotrasd for an example.

Once you've got an appropriate media build with your drivers then you have two options from there.

1.  Install the plugin version of TVHeadEnd - I can't tell you much about this as I don't use this method and don't exactly know where to download the plugin from at the moment. EDIT: It's here:

2.  Use the docker version of TVHeadEnd.

Once you've done that then setting up TVHeadEnd is the same as on any other system.

And to answer your question, yes you can stream to Kodi from this, I do so myself, but the number of simultaneous streams is limited by the number of TV Tuners you have.

For example I have a quad tuner TBS-6205, so I can stream four different channels at the same time (Note streaming would also include recording)

It sounds complicated, and it does take a little patience and perseverance to setup and in my experience is the most difficult bit of getting a fully "UnRAID" centre to HTPC use.

In terms of tuner support, these are the ones that I believe have been included in the RC3 build - Openelec Tuners.

There is also a TBS build for tuners from the manufacturer TBS.

And a straightforward Media Build just containing the default drivers in the Linux kernel.

A good resource to check on tuner support is here.

This thread is not too busy nowadays as most of us are migrating towards V6 of Unraid.  The two main threads are.

TVHeadEnd plugin for V6

TVHeadEnd Docker

Hope that helps.

Any more questions, probably best to post in either of those threads.

EDIT:  To answer another question, you can opt for either USB or PCIe Tuner cards or a Homerun device that I've already mentioned.

Thanks for the information.  I am in Canada using cable at the moment.  How would I figure out what tv card I would need?

I know nothing about TV in Canada so I'm afraid I can't help you there.  Might be Homerun or DVB-C as options but don't buy any hardware based on a dopey Brit's opinion!  :-\

• 2 months later...

Another thread resurrection!

I'm still on v5 unRAID and haven't yet understood/investigated the process to upgrade to v6 :-[ However having just bought a HDHomerun device I would like to get TVHeadend working with it. Is this still possible with v5 as the original plugin at the start of this thread by WW doesn't install due to the link to Dropbox not working. Or am I stuck with an unRAID upgrade to work out?

Thanks for the speedy response 8)

I was hoping to get it working with my current system as that would be simple and then I could plan the major upgrade to unRAID when I have more time. Pity but I guess that's progress ;D

Loving the HDHomerun and was hoping to pull the plug on Sky but I need EPG and recording first :(

Thanks again