Who wants a 7TB HDD ?

theone

Sounds interesting, but will this become available for consumers as well..

Interested in hearing how they solved the issues with the breathing holes current drives need.

The breathing holes are used for two reasons:

1) Equalize pressure from heated air(this is a problem because the air is actually used to regulate the head height)

2) Allow humidity to escape

I'll start with #2 because its easier.

Humidity is allowed into the HDD by the vents, causing the need for it to escape as well. The proposed drives are sealed in a low-humidity environment, so there would be no excess humidity to release.

Now for #1.

As I mentioned, the air pressure is used to buffer the read/write heads, allowing them to "float" above the platters. As pressure is increased, this distance would change, which is not optimal. HGST's answer to this with the helium filled drives is a temp sensor that would allow the components to adjust to this change.

They better buy all the helium they can now before it's all gone.

LOL

Anyway yeah it seems like a good idea, nice explanation Influencer.

Another incentive to create a fusion power source that fuses hydrogen to helium.  Once it's available I can see the adds.  "Hey people you aren't using enough electricity we need more helium for HDD's."
Another incentive to create a fusion power source that fuses hydrogen to helium.  Once it's available I can see the adds.  "Hey people you aren't using enough electricity we need more helium for HDD's."

Higher power bill = lower HDD price, I could dig it. Then all the rich guys would help make drives more affordable for us!

As I mentioned, the air pressure is used to buffer the read/write heads, allowing them to "float" above the platters. As pressure is increased, this distance would change, which is not optimal. HGST's answer to this with the helium filled drives is a temp sensor that would allow the components to adjust to this change.

Are you sure about that?    I would use a diaphram piston to maintain the proper pressure rather than muck with anything else.

Archived