24 bay servers from Tam Solutions back in stock - $299 / data center pulls

tr0910

Just received an email from Tam about servers back in stock.  These are data center pulls with high quality SuperMicro cases, fully loaded with MB, CPU, memory, SAT2-MV8 Raid cards, cables and caddies.  Just add 24 - 4tb drives and go....  Since I already bought 3 of these, I better not get any more just now ;-)

Caveats, older CPU and redundant power supplies for enterprise use means higher power use than latest technology would.  Still a great way to get 24 drive capacity with enterprise features like IMPI etc.... and for $300 you can't even get a flimsy Norco 4224 chassis....

See discussion here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=21958.0

Edit: I received this email because I was high enough on their list to get some.  There are another 100+ people waiting.  You may or may not be able to jump in and get one.  They will be getting more units in the next 1-2 months, so if this seems interesting, get your name on their list and wait....

====== email I received from Tam below ====================

Hi there

Great news! The wait is over! I am contacting you to let you know that we now have more of the Supermicro servers back in stock! They are 24 bay servers with caddy. We are selling them for $299.99 and there are 2 different specs on them which are

Case is Supermicro SQ846

AMD

Motherboard: H8DME-2

Procs: Qty 1 AMD Opteron Dual Core 2212HE @ 2.0GHz

Ram: 8GB 4x 2GB, 12 empty slots

IPMI Card: Kira 100

Qty 3 SAT2-MV8 Raid cards

Qty 2 Ablecom PWS-902-IR Power supplies

No hard drives included

Intel (just a couple left)

Motherboard: X7DBE-X

Procs: Qty 1 Intel 5130 Dual Core 2.0GHz

No hard drives included

We also have this one for $349.99

Case: Supermicro SQ846

Procs: Qty 1 AMD Opteron Quad Core 2346HE @ 1.8GHz

No hard drives included

We have some additional items if you would like to add any of them to your order

160Gb IDE hard drive-$15

1TB hard drives-$45

We unfortunately do not have any rail kits for these servers.

For shipping costs it will be calculated based on your zip code and will most likely be in the range of $65.00 to $100.00 depending on how far it has to go. This rate is also based on if you only buy the server, it will increase if you purchase hard drives as well. It should work out to be a couple dollars per hard drive included if only ordering a couple, if you wanted 24 drives we may have to ship them separately.

For those in Canada, we cant ship into Canada, sorry. If you are interested in purchasing a server you will need to make arrangements to have it shipped to a border town or contact here in the US and then go from there.

Please get back to me and let me know if you are still interested in purchasing one of these and if so just send me the following information and I will get an invoice for you.

1-Full Name and phone #

2-Shipping Address

3-Which type of server you want (AMD, dual or quad, or Intel) and Qty of how many.

4-If you would like a 160GB IDE Drive

5-How many 1TB hard drives you would like

6-For payment paypal is preferred however if you cant make a paypal payment we can also arrange for a credit card payment. Please let me know if your paypal email is different than what we are using so I can send you an invoice and make sure paypal shows your correct shipping address as well.

I will personally be taking care of all the sales of these servers so emails will only be replied to on Tuesdays and Thursdays so dont worry if it takes a few days to get back to you. :) I will fill orders in the order that they come in and only doing sections of the waitlist at a time to allow those who have waited longest the opportunity to reply. Also please let me know if you have any other questions!

***Also please reply to me and let me know even if you are no longer interested in purchasing one so that I can pass the servers along to others who have been waiting as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks so much!

Andy

Tams

801-796-1696

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The units described above are using PCI-X controller cards, if that makes a difference for anyone. The Supermicro H8DME-2 mobo does have two 8x PCI-Express slots. So if you had old PCI-Express controller cards from another server, they would likely drop right in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182108

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815121009

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GAGFQ6 (these appear to be worth quite a few clams)

www.amazon.com/dp/B00AAC0APS (I'm not sure SQ846 is the correct model)

It took a few days for them to respond to my email. This was maybe 2 weeks/ week and a half ago. They told me they'd added me to the list and it would probably be about mid April when they could fulfill my order.

Although I'm debating just getting a 12 bay server since I only have 6 drives anyway....

I'd like to see the condition of the case itself as it may be worththe $300 bucks just to completely gut the thing and put my exisiting equipment in there. That is so long as you can also remove those power supplies and fit a desktop power supply in there.

The cases are real good quality.  Better than a Norco 4224, however, since they are used, and shipped, YMMV.

I got 3 last time because I wanted 2 good ones.  All 3 arrived fine.  One other issue with these is that the fans included are for data center use, and are quite noisy.  I just unplugged some and never missed them.  This brought noise down from jet engine territory to vacuum cleaner territory.  Don't buy these if you need a completely silent system.  (unless you plan on making significant mods)  For gutting instructions and silent mods see:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-you-looking-for-a-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative

Got and e-mail back from Andy, checking on the status of where I was at in line. I asked to be put on the list in December.

"I checked and you are on the list.  With the inventory we currently have it wont reach to where you are on the list, however we should be getting another large shipment in the end of April early May and we will have enough when those come to fill your order.  Once they are ready to go I will send you out an email with all the details of what we have available and how to order."

Looks like I have a few months to decide on how many to buy. Bummed that I didn't make it this go-round but maybe the next shipment will have newer motherboards or processors.

Good news for those on the waiting list

TAMSolutions is expecting to receive part of a new order of servers tomorrow that should take care of most.... if not all of the people on the current waiting list!

Jason from TAMS told me that the new shipment of servers should be very similar to the Supermicros mentioned in this thread... He will give me more specifics tomorrow when they arrive.

Jason also told me that the new units will go through the same check in and testing procedures of the past... So a slight delay will be necessary to insure that the units are properly working before they are shipped.

These new units will more than likely be sold just as quickly as previous batches... One customer on the last waiting list purchased 16 units for himself!

I will post more detailed updates just as soon as I receive them.

It's gonna be an early Christmas for a lot people really soon!

• 2 months later...

I just got an email from TAMS that they have this configuration available and they are working through the list.  Special on these is $319 right now.  I ordered two.

No hard drives included

I wound up getting 2 myself. Spent about another $150 to make it usable in a home environment [it's way too loud when it comes out of the box]. Once I verify everything is working, I'll probably part out the 2nd one and sell the redundant PSUs from my primary unit. Those things sound like they have jet engines for fans.

I wound up getting 2 myself. Spent about another $150 to make it usable in a home environment [it's way too loud when it comes out of the box]. Once I verify everything is working, I'll probably part out the 2nd one and sell the redundant PSUs from my primary unit. Those things sound like they have jet engines for fans.

What modifications did you make?

Yes, can you post the mods to make it home-friendly?

The guide on AVSforum seem to be for an older case not the current Supermicro 24-bay case that we are getting here. I am getting one myself and want to set this up for home use. I'm a newbie so I would need a step-by-step guide for what to do and which parts to replace.

I have a quick write-up over in this thread.

I really haven't modded it much. The unit is quite functional as-is. But, I'm in the process of doing the following:

• replace the redundant PSUs with a standard PC PSU
  • upgrade the CPU to an 2419EE
  • replace all case 5 case fans
  • use a passive heat sink for the CPU

All told, I've added an extra $150 in parts -- most of that being for the case fans. I'm a fan of the Noctua fans. They're pricey, but, I know they're ultra quiet and super reliable.

I'm getting a Kill-a-watt so I'll be able to see what sort of power savings these mods make. But, I fully expect my current 650W PSU to be able to handle everything with room to spare.

Got mine about a week ago.

Stock, it pulls about 200W at Unraid idle. Soft OFF mode, about 50W - this is the redundant power supply draw. After replacing the redundant PSU with an HX750, idle is 150W, soft OFF is 5W.

So far I have flashed the MB, replaced the the 3 internal fans with 120mm Cougar fans mounted on a Norco fan wall, replaced the PSU, replaced the 80mm fans in the back. Not completely silent yet because the 80mm I have are not silent, and the CPU fan is a bit noisy. I have ordered two 2419EEs, passive heatsinks and silent 80mm fans and rack rail kit.

By the way there was a link posted earlier, whether on this thread or on another about these servers, for the supposed 2419EEs. Turned out it was a link to regular 2419s. If you order 2419EEs on ebay, make sure they are part # OS2419NBS6DGN, which draw 40W. Standard 2419s, part # OS2419WJS6DGN, draw 75W. There is even an Amazon listing that is 2419EE in the description and product pic, but the # is regular 2419. I contacted the seller and he confirms it is regular 2419s. 

Below are the list of parts I bought, price I paid and links:

Passive heatsink ($7 best offer)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230945961340?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2419EEs ($35 best offer)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130868913695?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Rail kit ($65.35)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380649414685?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Norco fan wall ($12.50 best offer)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330795689120?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Mine should be on the doorstep today. Does anyone run esxi on this setup? I was trying to figure it out but it looks like once you install esxi you have to give it harddrives and then it formats them for the data store. So I assume I'd have to have extra hard drives on hand to copy all my current data to the esxi/unraid server. Sounds like a pita so I'll probably just use vmware under my current unraid setup and just put the hdd's in the supermicro server so I can be back up in a short amount of time.

I'm also super confused about how unraid can protect the data of the esxi datastore...

Say my setup is Parity, disk1, and disk2. So if disk1 fails can I just replace it in esxi and then unraid will do a rebuild?

Do I need a separate disk outside my unraid array to hold data for any other VM's I'd want to run? So I guess none of them would be backed up then? But I could probably back them up from esxi to my unraid server right?

Basically what I was hoping to do was to install esxi to a spare usb drive, plug in my unraid usb flash drive and get that set up so it's running, then add all my data disks so unraid will see them, and then I'd be back up and running. Is that possible?

I know this probably isn't the place to get esxi specific help but I was just hoping one of you was already doing it on this current batch of hardware that jdc posted

No hard drives included

Thank you!

Do you have a write-up on how to install the fan wall and where it goes, etc...?

Also you thin the 750W will be enough if the drives were to opwer on at the same time? All 24 of them? Or would it be better to go for the 800+ watt one?

Got mine about a week ago.

Stock, it pulls about 200W at Unraid idle. Soft OFF mode, about 50W - this is the redundant power supply draw. After replacing the redundant PSU with an HX750, idle is 150W, soft OFF is 5W.

So far I have flashed the MB, replaced the the 3 internal fans with 120mm Cougar fans mounted on a Norco fan wall, replaced the PSU, replaced the 80mm fans in the back. Not completely silent yet because the 80mm I have are not silent, and the CPU fan is a bit noisy. I have ordered two 2419EEs, passive heatsinks and silent 80mm fans and rack rail kit.

By the way there was a link posted earlier, whether on this thread or on another about these servers, for the supposed 2419EEs. Turned out it was a link to regular 2419s. If you order 2419EEs on ebay, make sure they are part # OS2419NBS6DGN, which draw 40W. Standard 2419s, part # OS2419WJS6DGN, draw 75W. There is even an Amazon listing that is 2419EE in the description and product pic, but the # is regular 2419. I contacted the seller and he confirms it is regular 2419s. 

Below are the list of parts I bought, price I paid and links:

Passive heatsink ($7 best offer)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230945961340?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2419EEs ($35 best offer)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130868913695?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Rail kit ($65.35)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380649414685?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Norco fan wall ($12.50 best offer)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330795689120?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

For the Norco fan wall installation, I followed the instructions on this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-you-looking-for-a-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative/1350

BTW, on that same thread you will find out that the rail kit i bought (00057) does not work with this (older) case. So I will have to return it.

As far as the power supply, it depends on how many and what kind of drives you have. The HX750 can supply 62A at its+12V rail, should be plenty for 24 green drives, but may be lacking if you are using 7200rpm drives.

I received the heatsinks yesterday. I am supposed to receive the CPUs tomorrow. I will play with it on the weekend to determine power consumption with single and dual 6 core 2419EEs.

FYI i emailed them and asked if they had anymore and this is what i got! (ordered one)

Hi Joe

We do have some and we just reached the end of the waitlist so here is the info

Hi there

Great news! The wait is over! I am contacting you to let you know that we now have more of the Supermicro servers back in stock! They are 24 bay servers with caddies, here are their specs

For $299.99 we have

Supermicro SC846 with caddies

Procs: Qty 1 AMD Opteron Dual Core 2212HE @ 2.0GHz

No hard drives included

(We were out of dual cores but just got a bunch more in!)

For $349.99

Case is 24 Bay Supermicro SC846 with caddies

No hard drives included

**We are doing a temporary sale on these servers, until the end of May we are dropping the price to $319.99**

We have some additional items if you would like to add any of them to your order

160Gb IDE hard drive-$15

1TB hard drives-$45

We unfortunately do not have any rail kits for these servers.

For shipping costs it will be calculated based on your zip code and will most likely be in the range of $65.00 to $100.00 per server depending on how far it has to go. This rate is also based on if you only buy the server, it will increase if you purchase hard drives as well. It should work out to be a couple dollars per hard drive included if only ordering a couple, if you wanted 24 drives we may have to ship them separately.

For those in Canada, we cant ship into Canada, sorry. If you are interested in purchasing a server you will need to make arrangements to have it shipped to a border town or contact here in the US and then go from there.

Please get back to me and let me know if you are still interested in purchasing one of these and if so just send me the following information and I will get an invoice for you.

1-Full Name and phone #

2-Shipping Address

3-Quantity of servers you want.

4-If you would like any 160GB IDE or 1TB drives

5-For payment paypal is preferred however if you cant make a paypal payment we can also arrange for a credit card payment. Please let me know if your paypal email is different than what we are using so I can send you an invoice and make sure paypal shows your correct shipping address as well.

I will personally be taking care of all the sales of these servers so emails will only be replied to on Tuesdays and Thursdays so dont worry if it takes a few days to get back to you. :) I will fill orders in the order that they come in and only doing sections of the waitlist at a time to allow those who have waited longest the opportunity to reply. Also please let me know if you have any other questions!

***Also please reply to me and let me know even if you are no longer interested in purchasing one so that I can pass the servers along to others who have been waiting as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks so much!

Andy

Tams

801-796-1696

Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 08:32:42 +0900

Subject: 24 bay servers from Tam Solutions back in stock - $299 / data center pulls

To: [email protected]

Hello,

Do you still have any left?

"http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26227.0"

-Joe

I just got the quad core for $319 and it is super super loud. You can count on doing modifications. I have mine in a room in the basement with the door closed and the basement door closed and I can hear it whining through the floor. I took out some of the fans and that helped but even in standby the power supplies are super loud.

Another thing is I had to set my bios to safe defaults and then go back and set usb as the first boot device (But this may be optional I was trying to get the network to work). I couldn't get the network to connect. There are two NIC ports on the back and I couldn't get one to work plugged into the wall. Actually there's a nother addon card with a ethernet port but that's for monitoring or whatever and doesn't get you connected. I had to get a powered 8 port switch and plug them into that and then the wall before they came on. While I was trying to figure that out I didn't cleanly shut down and then I think my usb got corrupt. After that it wouldn't poweroff via shutdown and the array wouldn't stop, or at least emhttp wasn't being told it was ready to go. Now I'm kind of screwed because my usb became completely corrupt and my disk1 is corrupt and I don't have a parity for that drive now because I had to rerun parity when I reinstalled to the flash drive (I ran chkdsk but it moved all the contents to lost and found as random filenames). So I'm currently back in my old hardware trying to get it back to working and get my data back. Hopefully my experience with those few things can help out other people getting these ;)

And if anyone has any advice about corrupted reiserfs systems feel free to answer them in the thread I've been talking to myself in ;)http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27648.0