Seeking recommendation 1155 mb which can take 2xm1015

Hi

Been looking through these forums quite a bit and looking for

1155 socket MB

At least 2 PCIe at 8x speed to take 2xm1015

And is known to already work with unraid and 2 M1015 together!

Only boards i seen recommended are the super-micro ones, but the availability of them in the UK is quite low and the price quite high of the few places which stock.

So anybody using a 1155 board with with 2 M1015 already that they can recommend

Thanks

Hi

Yes more looking around to see if there is an alternative to the Super micro board. I was hoping someone on these boards had any success with a cheaper and more available alternative.

But if don't find a alternative i will prob eventually bite the bullet and pay the premium.

Seen the X9SCM-F priced between £160 (~$240) to £200 (~$300), but stock seems a bit erratic as i think they are essential special ordered in

I have the regular ATX Extreme 4  (non-m) version.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

I did get the M1015's flashed to IT mode but i did have try a few different motherboards before being successful.

This board pulls about 60 watts at idle with 5-80mm fans. Proc: Celeron G1610.  ($35 at MicroCenter can't beat it.)

Only ran into 1 problem.  The onboard Sata connectors (Sata 3's) didn't play nice with 2 of my hard drives (SAMSUNG_HD203WI's)  Had to move them to a different port)  After that everything was fine.  Maybe a BIOS update? 

Thanks again,

Order a ASRock Extreme 4, so going to be ready to build next weekend. Not sure why i am getting so excited!

We must have been ordering at the same time :-) I just ordered the same board for a rebuild with a Norco 4224 case. I'll be using two Supermicro SASLP-MV8 cards I already have. Sure hope they play well with this board. If not I'll probably go looking for a pair of 1015 cards. Do you happen to know where they could be purchased, if needed, already flashed to IT mode?

Harry

Wow! That's quite a premium. I'm hoping I won't need them and that my new MB (ASRock Z77 Extreme4, arriving tomorrow) will just work with my existing Supermicro SASLP-MV8 cards.

If not, I may be in the market for the IBM cards but I was really hoping that, if I needed them, I could find them pre-flashed in IT mode. The various threads on flashing them don't inspire confidence that this is a straight forward process :-). Anyway just a precaution at this point.

Thanks.

Wow! That's quite a premium. I'm hoping I won't need them and that my new MB (ASRock Z77 Extreme4, arriving tomorrow) will just work with my existing Supermicro SASLP-MV8 cards.

If not, I may be in the market for the IBM cards but I was really hoping that, if I needed them, I could find them pre-flashed in IT mode. The various threads on flashing them don't inspire confidence that this is a straight forward process :-). Anyway just a precaution at this point.

Thanks.

Yep small reason why my 6 are all from eBay.  Did have one burn out that is why I have 6 instead of 5.  Once I found a MB (SuperMicro C2SBA+II) that would flash it - it was easy.  I use the dos boot USB drive method but there are many other ways including directly on the X9SCM MB using the EFI shell.

Newegg sells them new if you want to pay the premium.

Can someone explain what would be the benefit of the IBM card, compared to the Supermicro, at less than half the price?

From a software point of view, it should work...you should know better, based on your SIG, don't you  ;D

The USAS2 is not a low profile and AFAIK you need to reverse bracket-mounts in order to fit it into a non-SM case.

Can someone explain what would be the benefit of the IBM card, compared to the Supermicro, at less than half the price?

From a software point of view, it should work...you should know better, based on your SIG, don't you  ;D

Indeed - flashed with the 9211-8i firmware, and behaving (as far as I can tell) exactly as a 9211.

The USAS2 is not a low profile and AFAIK you need to reverse bracket-mounts in order to fit it into a non-SM case.

Ummm ..., okay.  How many people here are using the card in a LP slot?  As for the bracket, mine has been working with no bracket attached for almost two years - one day I will get around to making a bracket for it.  This for a saving of $118 over the LSI offering!

Newegg sells them new if you want to pay the premium.

... :o

This is a joke right from the Easter Bunny's office, isn't it?

I cannot recall these cards being priced that high, even when they were brand new.

If need be....go for the "real" 9211-8i instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118112 and save 60+ bucks

No joke and I certainly didn't pay that for my 6 that I got off of eBay - 60 - 120 each.  Although I have had one burn out already so would hope a new one would last longer.  I would be getting the 9211-8i if I purchased new as you linked.

PeterB,

Very good question. I've had the same quesion at times.

I currently have two Supermicro SASLP-MV8 cards that have worked fine for me for two years in my current build. That is, until I started to integrate large drives (4 TB) into my system. I've had a series of problems with this that through trial and error I've attributed to quirks in my current motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H) and the way it performs in conjunction with these cards. (see  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26391.0  and  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26538.0, if you're really interested. )

I decided to replace the board with the ASRock Z77 Extreme4. The board is already here and the CPU and Ram arrive today. If that board plays well with my current Suermicro cards and plays well with my new 4 TB drives, I'm done and happy as a clam.

My interest in the m1015 is only as a potential replacement in case the new board has problems with the Supermicro cards. I have no reason to think they will, but given the problems I've encountered recently I just want to be prepared.

My understanding is, despite being x4 cards based on PCI-e 1.0 standards, that the bottleneck remains the physical speed of the disks, but even if that's not true, I'm happy with the cards as long as they are compatible with my new board and can handle 4 TB drives. I'm not doing anything fancy on my unraid server. No sickbeard, no plex, no couchpotato, mySQL, virtualization or anything else. Just plain v5.x unraid. The only speed that truly matters to me is the speed at which it can serve up video to my PCH media player, and they've never had any problems doing that.

For copying to the array I use a cache disk, and I don't really care if it takes a little longer for mover to run in the middle of the night. Parity checks take longer than I would like now that I have a 4 TB parity drive. I have no idea if a different card would make it faster but it wouldn't be an incentive to change cards even if it did.

Harry

Hi hwilker,

how is your upgrade going? I'm experiencing problems as well with your motherboard. I'm searching for some replacement.

I have replaced my Gigabyte board (GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H) with the ASRock Z77 Extreme4. It's a great board but the bizarre problem I was having with the Supermicro cards remains on the new board. Note this is a very specific problem that, as far as I know only arises with 4 TB drives on one SAS port of one card in one slot on the board. It is NOT specific to which Supermicro card is in the slot.

Anyway, I've given up troubleshooting the problem. One thing the MB upgrade bought me was an x8 slot that replaces the x4 slot on the Gigabyte board, enabling me to replace one of the Supermicro cards with an IBM M1015. It is on order and should arrive Monday.

Outside of inheriting this Supermicro problem the new board is great. A 4 TB preclear was about 12% faster than it had been on the Gigabyte board and with 8 onboard SATA ports, I can attach all 24 trays of my Norco case with just 2 8 port cards and do without an extra x1 card to pick up the two last trays.

Hope that helps.

Harry

• 8 months later...

Hi

Been looking through these forums quite a bit and looking for

1155 socket MB

At least 2 PCIe at 8x speed to take 2xm1015

And is known to already work with unraid and 2 M1015 together!

Only boards i seen recommended are the super-micro ones, but the availability of them in the UK is quite low and the price quite high of the few places which stock.

So anybody using a 1155 board with with 2 M1015 already that they can recommend

Thanks

how bout the asrock E3C204