doesn't mount the UNRAID partition on Kingston MobiLite G3

Hi guys

I bought the mentioned Kingston card reader in order to use it as boot device for my unraid system. Due to the lack of availability for the Kingston mobilite G2 - which i have read here on the forum would work fine - I just took the risk of buyin the G3, hoping it would work in the same manner.

I prepared the SDCard/Reader as usual (copied the system, ran the make-bootable script) and moved it over to my NAS (being a HP N54L btw.) to boot from it.

It boots just fine, but when it tries to finally mount the partition via the label, it can't find it and therefore cannot load the config. It seems to me, that it doesn't see the SD-Card as a device (looking into /dev/disk/by-ID i only see the reader device, but no partition, which would have the label information). But how can it even boot from it, if that's the case?!

I'm not linux-savvy enough to confirm that's the issue and if it is fixable or if i am just out of luck with that particular card-reader-device (in which case this post could be seen as a warning against buying that device for that purpose).

cheers

tax

what kind of SD are you using if it is MicroSD it might be the same issue G2 had.

the G2 had issues when using microSD card as a media. it kind of assumed that Standard SD was the primary location and micro was only data.

regular SD was fine to boot from  but  microSD was not recognized at boot.

I am currently using the microSD with adapter in the Standard SD slot on my G2 reader.

and it have been working for 2 years.

I'm using a standard SD card (no micro/mini).

"Transcend Ultimate-Speed SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 8GB" (thats how its listed in the shop)

I would try changing your bios so that ONLY the SDHC is available for boot.  If that doesn't work then try a mini.  Maybe the G3 is reversed from the G2.  I vaguely remember a post stating that but it has been a while so I could easily be wrong about that too.

@tax: I tried the same reader on my system (see sig for specs) with the EXACT same result. initially booted fine, but when it attempted to mount the partition its like it suddenly vanishes and booting halts. Never could get it to work on my system.

note: I tried both the SD card slot and the MicroSD card slot. wouldnt even boot from the microSD slot.

- you mean to simply disable all other boot devices?

- and what is meant by "a mini" - could you elaborate?

thanks for your quick help here, really appreciate it!

Think mr-hexen's post above this one answers your question.  That's too bad because I don't want to spend 30+ if I want more of the G2 - which do work.  I would rather use the G3 or whatever comes out next.  Oh well back to flash drives I guess.

I've heard that the G3 does not work before. The G2 is hard to find so i guess it's time to test other readers. Lets compile a list of available USB 2.0 card readers.

I know you know this dgaschk, but for the benefit of others, not just any reader that boots unraid properly will work for this purpose. Each unit must have a unique GUID, as the license file generated by Tom is tied to this ID. In order to test the uniqueness of the GUID, many identical units must be purchased and checked. Tom will definitely need to be involved at some point.

G3 dose not have a unique guid

How do you know this?  Do you have multiple G3's with the same GUID?  Or does it show all zeroes?(as flash cards without GUIDs do)

g3 does boot correctly on micro sd only. 

By booting correctly, do you mean it works with the free version?

Note this comment also conflicts with the OP and with the following:

@tax: I tried the same reader on my system (see sig for specs) with the EXACT same result. initially booted fine, but when it attempted to mount the partition its like it suddenly vanishes and booting halts. Never could get it to work on my system.

note: I tried both the SD card slot and the MicroSD card slot. wouldnt even boot from the microSD slot.

I think the conclusion is the same that was stated earlier -- the G3 simply doesn't work with UnRAID.    But I AM curious about exactly what does and does not work.

How do you know this?  Do you have multiple G3's with the same GUID?  Or does it show all zeroes?(as flash cards without GUIDs do)
I have an earlier Kingston (not G2) it has a GUID of 12341234567890 or something similar as it was a number sequence and not unique it is blacklisted and unRAID will report it as such because I didn't see that it wasn't unique when I tried to register it.  I was looking for all zeros.  Tom didn't want to register it because of that sequence.  So long story short you need to look for more than just all zeros to indicate uniqueness.  Make sure it isn't a number sequence too.

I have an earlier Kingston (not G2) it has a GUID of 12341234567890 or something similar as it was a number sequence and not unique it is blacklisted and unRAID will report it as such because I didn't see that it wasn't unique when I tried to register it.  I was looking for all zeros.  Tom didn't want to register it because of that sequence.  So long story short you need to look for more than just all zeros to indicate uniqueness.  Make sure it isn't a number sequence too.

well here is your problem, you say that you had one before but "NOT G2"

I have 2 "G2", bought them when initially setting up my unRaid.

they have a valid ID, not like the one you provided, and both of them have different Id.

it was confirmed at that time by other users that "G2" was an acceptable substitute for regular flash drive. if that changed since than (as it have been over 2 years back) than ok.

but if you base your assumption on completely different product, please don't.

well here is your problem, you say that you had one before but "NOT G2"

I have 2 "G2", bought them when initially setting up my unRaid.

they have a valid ID, not like the one you provided, and both of them have different Id.

it was confirmed at that time by other users that "G2" was an acceptable substitute for regular flash drive. if that changed since than (as it have been over 2 years back) than ok.

but if you base your assumption on completely different product, please don't.

If you look close at my quote you will see I was pointing out that you can't just assume that if a GUID is not zero it is OK.  I didn't go find the exact model because it IS blacklisted so no point in listing it since it is blacklisted.

the Kingston MobileLite G2 is fine, it boots on all known systems and DOES have a unique guid so is the reader to get if you can, end of story.

the reader i THINK bobphoenix is on about is the kingston FCR-MRG2, this DOES boot but the guid is NOT unique, although at first glance the guid looks valid, as it is neither all zero's or a number sequence.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KINGSTON-FCR-MRG2-MicroSD-Reader-Generation/dp/B0028R3NCU

the Kingston MobileLite G2 is fine, it boots on all known systems and DOES have a unique guid so is the reader to get if you can, end of story.

the reader i THINK bobphoenix is on about is the kingston FCR-MRG2, this DOES boot but the guid is NOT unique, although at first glance the guid looks valid, as it is neither all zero's or a number sequence.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KINGSTON-FCR-MRG2-MicroSD-Reader-Generation/dp/B0028R3NCU

Correct.  Specifically I purchased this from newegg.  And the serial returned was 090C-6200-5678-901234567890 which is now blacklisted.  I reported it here in 2010.  So that one is known bad.

Correct.  Specifically I purchased this from newegg.  And the serial returned was 090C-6200-5678-901234567890 which is now blacklisted.  I reported it here in 2010.  So that one is known bad.

yes, that one was a dud form the get-go.

I had 3 of them at the time. got 2 of them free at NYC computer show and one with an microSD card.

it was obvious when I checked  all three and they all had the same number :-) even though they cam form different places and different times.