unRAID Server Release 5.0.3-i386 Available

limetech

Anyway some users will like this, other maybe not.  This can be configured using these variables in the /boot/config/share.cfg file:

shareAvahiEnabled default "yes"

shareAvahiSMBName default "%h"

shareAvahiSMBModel default "Xserve"

shareAvahiAFPName default "%h-AFP"

shareAvahiAFPModel default "Xserve"

So if you want to change it back the way it was you would add these lines in /boot/config/share.cfg:

shareAvahiSMBName="%h-SMB"

shareAvahiAFPName="%h"

When i upgraded from v5-rc5 to v5.0.0 and later on to v5.0.2, i never had issues with afp and smb shares on the mac. Mac could find the smb shares, and the TimeMachine afp share, for it's backup.

Now, after a reset (and while running preclear on a new disk) for some f*cked up reason, mac can't find neither smb nor afp shares. They do show up in Finder, but they are empty. Reconnecting to them takes a long time and end with ' contact you system admin'.

Again, i did NOT have these problems before, not even under 5.0.2, but now i do.

Also, i tried adding above lines to the config, but if i restart afp, the lines are gone.

What do i have to do to make my mac see the smb and afp timemachine shares?

My windows machine can still see the smb shares.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Security changed in 5.0

Now ROOT cannot see user shares. 

Its possible your Mac is 'autoconnecting' to unRAID as root

If you didn't spot that change in the release notes, try this:

Create a 'user' account and be sure its set to READ/WRITE for the shares you want to access (such as TM)

From your Mac, disconnect from the unRAID server

then Go/Connect Server to unRAID using your newly setup 'user' account.

The login and PSWD should stick.

As an aside, and if you're going to do the above, I recommend you go ahead and first install unRAID 5.03 and/or 4.

Release 5.0.3 in particular changes AFP and SMB. This was a very positive improvement and AFP and SMB both work much better with OS X.  I mention this, because you'll have to setup with the new names for servers on your mac after the upgrade. (There's a slight change in AFP and SMB server names in 5.0.3 which is described in the release notes.  That quote in your first post looks to be a script to undo the server name change.  If you're a Mavericks user, I'd leave the name as 5.0.3 sets it up...OS X is phasing out AFP entirely, and the server name change is to align unRAID with the coming version of OS X)

Security changed in 5.0

Now ROOT cannot see user shares. 

Its possible your Mac is 'autoconnecting' to unRAID as root

If you didn't spot that change in the release notes, try this:

Create a 'user' account and be sure its set to READ/WRITE for the shares you want to access (such as TM)

From your Mac, disconnect from the unRAID server

then Go/Connect Server to unRAID using your newly setup 'user' account.

The login and PSWD should stick.

As an aside, and if you're going to do the above, I recommend you go ahead and first install unRAID 5.03 and/or 4

5.0.3 in particular changes AFP and SMB. This was a very positive improvement and AFP and SMB both work much better with OS X.  I mention this, because you'll have to setup the servers on your mac after the upgrade. (There's a slight change in AFP and SMB server names in 5.0.3 which is described in the release notes.  That quote in your first post looks to be a script to undo the server name change.  If you're a Mavericks user, I'd leave the name as 5.0.3 sets it up...OS X is phasing out AFP entirely, and the server name change is to align unRAID with the coming version of OS X)

I tried creating a new user, but to no avail. Also, i can NOT disconnect from osx? It just keeps showing in finder as UNRAID and UNRAID-SMB. Both do not work, and cannot be removed, and making a new connecting also don't work.

In another topic i mentioned i am running a preclear session at the moment, and for some reason, every time i run a preclear, all sorts of things go wrong. Disks keep spinning up, shutdown script won't work, and now smb and afp are broken...

I'll wait for preclear to finish, upgrade the system to 5.0.4 and try again. That will be in a few days, preclear is slow... (4TB disk).

If that won't work, i seriously consider going back to v5.0-rc5. That version for me was the best one ever. Never any problems whatsoever.

I tried creating a new user, but to no avail. Also, i can NOT disconnect from osx? It just keeps showing in finder as UNRAID and UNRAID-SMB. Both do not work, and cannot be removed, and making a new connecting also don't work.

I believe that there is a specific fix in the 5.0.4 release for the two entries showing up under Finder.  I do not have a Mac myself to validate this but that is what others have said.

In another topic i mentioned i am running a preclear session at the moment, and for some reason, every time i run a preclear, all sorts of things go wrong. Disks keep spinning up, shutdown script won't work, and now smb and afp are broken...

This is stranger.  unRAID itself is unaware that a pre-clear is in progress so it is not clear why it is affecting unRAID operation.

Obviously, wait for your preclear to finish.

I think the following works to force a server disconnect.

Then check to see if the Mac can see UNRAID (even if the shares are empty.)

Reboot and Start UNRAID.

Then on your Mac, you should be able to Go/Connect Server and use the 'end user' id.

I hear your frustration...I gotta say, though, that TM is much stabler in 5.0.3+.

Its worth trying to figure this out. ;)

---------

OH! I just saw itimpi's comment above...hmmm...

Ok guys, preclear finished this morning, i've allready replaced the malfunctioning powerdown-noarch 1.02 with the beta 1.04 one, and after formatting the new 4TB disk,  and downloading unraid v5.0.4 and replacinf both binaries, i used ' powerdown -r now' and... it worked. It stopped all plugins, and rebooted, so the new powerdown is working :)

I had to fiddle a bit on the mac but suddenly Time Machine itself found the missing Time Machine share and could start it's postponed backup.

In Time Machine's backup disks list the Unraid share is now shown 3 times... onces as 'Time Machine on UNRAID', once as 'Time Machine on UNRAID-AFP' and once as 'Time Machine on unraid' (lower case)...

Still, in Finder i still see the 2 entries 'UNRAID' and 'UNRAID-SMB' and both still do nothing...

I'm gonna let the mac finish it's backup and then reboot the mac to see if that helps.

*edit*

Rebooted the mac did the trick... Finder now shows ' UNRAID'  and 'UNRAID-AFP' and both can connect.

Christmas is saved ;D

• 4 weeks later...

Ever since upgrading from 5.0 rc to 5.0.x final, i'm having troubles with my mac and Time machine. My mac does weekly backups (NOT hourly!!!) on saturday, 7:01. At 7:00 a cron task spins up the parity disk and disk1 (where the timemachine afp share is located) and voila, mac starts backupping. No problem. Now after upgrading to the final versions (i am running 5.0.4 at the moment) every saturday my backup failes because it can not find the time machine afp share anymore. I have to manually connect to the time machine share using Finder, mount the disk, and manually restart the backup.

Also, after finishing, the mac is constantly accessing the share, causing the disk1 never to spin down, because it is constantly mounted. I have to 'eject' (unmount) the share, to enable unraid to spin it down. And that causes the backup the next saturday to fail because the disk is not mounted, etc etc etc...

Now, i found this on the 5.0.3 release notes:

[...]

Anyway some users will like this, other maybe not.  This can be configured using these variables in the /boot/config/share.cfg file:

shareAvahiEnabled default "yes"

shareAvahiSMBName default "%h"

shareAvahiSMBModel default "Xserve"

shareAvahiAFPName default "%h-AFP"

shareAvahiAFPModel default "Xserve"

So if you want to change it back the way it was you would add these lines in /boot/config/share.cfg:

shareAvahiSMBName="%h-SMB"

shareAvahiAFPName="%h"

Maybe this is the solution to my problem? Thing is... i can NOT find any of these lines in my /boot/config/share.cfg file. Below is the content of my file:

# Generated settings:
shareUser="e"
shareUserInclude=""
shareUserExclude=""
shareSMBEnabled="yes"
shareNFSEnabled="yes"
shareNFSFsid="109"
shareAFPEnabled="yes"
shareInitialOwner="Administrator"
shareInitialGroup="Domain Users"
shareCacheEnabled="no"
shareCacheFloor="2000000"
shareMoverSchedule="0 1 * * *"
shareMoverLogging="yes"
fuse_remember="330"

What version of OS X do you use?

With the change in 5.0.3, just the name of the network connection changed. Your TM sparsebundle is unchanged.

The fix for the "-AFP" versus "-SMB" suffixes shouldn't be needed.

I'd guess that your stored Tower userids & passwords are out of date on the Mac.  It should be a one-time fix.

Try this: Restart your Mac.

BEFORE TM tries to run, in Finder/Go/Connect to server... connect to all your unRAID shares that you use.

Enter the unRAID username and password (not 'root', unless you have your TM set to 'public'  :o ). As long as you're there, click the "+" plus sign to add them to your commonly used server list.

(if they were already listed, remove them and add them again...(this step may be voodoo))

NOW, open TM prefs and reselect your TM location.

Hopefully it will now 'stick'. I've not had to touch my TM settings or use the Connect to Server command since I went to 5.0.3 ... and its a beautiful thing.  8)

What version of OS X do you use?

With the change in 5.0.3, just the name of the network connection changed. Your TM sparsebundle is unchanged.

The fix for the "-AFP" versus "-SMB" suffixes shouldn't be needed.

I'd guess that your stored Tower userids & passwords are out of date on the Mac.  It should be a one-time fix.

Try this: Restart your Mac.

BEFORE TM tries to run, in Finder/Go/Connect to server... connect to all your unRAID shares that you use.

Enter the unRAID username and password (not 'root', unless you have your TM set to 'public'  :o ). As long as you're there, click the "+" plus sign to add them to your commonly used server list.

(if they were already listed, remove them and add them again...(this step may be voodoo))

NOW, open TM prefs and reselect your TM location.

Hopefully it will now 'stick'. I've not had to touch my TM settings or use the Connect to Server command since I went to 5.0.3 ... and its a beautiful thing.  8)

I'll try this. I am using OSX 10.8.5 / Unraid 5.0.4.

Still i want to know why the settings mentioned by Tom can not be found in my share.cfg file... wheter i need them or not ;)