Popcorn Hour

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty happy with my recently acquired PCH-A110... I am able to map to my unRAID media server via SMB shares and stream 1080p BluRay (mostly MKV) with no issues, dropped frames, stuttering at all.  I played with NFS a little bit, but had no issues with SMB, so It just seemed easier to use.

the interface is still a little buggy, but integration with unRAID seems ALL good so far...

Sw2

I've had a PCH A100 running since Spring '08 - up till now fed by a ReadyNAS and scattered external USB drives. I'm currently setting up my first unRAID box so all my data can be in the same place (with room to grow).

My A100 is a treat, but i've spent more time ripping my movie collection than actually watching. Now that I have YAMJ set up, i have to re-do all of it because my resource paths will change when i switch to the new box. oh, well.

What was wrong with the other thread?

BTW, I hope development focus won't shift too much on some commercial product that very few people (in the total of unRAID "paid" users) use

there are things that many people have requested (for example mail notification to say something simple) and where not implemented by Limetech (since Tom always talks in plural) and other developers did on their free time

I suspect Tom bought one?

BTW, I hope development focus won't shift too much on some commercial product that very few people (in the total of unRAID "paid" users) use

there are things that many people have requested (for example mail notification to say something simple) and where not implemented by Limetech (since Tom always talks in plural) and other developers did on their free time

I'm hoping that the goal is to improve performance for both SMB and NFS file transfers.  There are tons of network-media players, more will be introduced at CES this week, the "PCH" is just one that has an active "hacking" community.

This whole survey iin this "Applications" sub-forum is "titled" a bit unusual, the choices are radio-buttons limited to one"client" as the main user of the unraid server. 

Most of the answers show imost who respond use it by a multitude of clients, for everything from Media storage to archival data storage, and everything in between. 

All who have answered have the same basic need.. reliable, safe, expandable storage of their data, with fast easy access from their clients on the LAN.  If Tom addresses the core need, he'll have all bases covered. 

I agree we should lobby harder for some basic features...To be "reliable" we need the tools to monitor the disks (working smartctl), and the ability to be notified  when the array needs attention. (e-mail alerts on disk-failures, low free space, low free memory, etc.)  Built-in support for at least one brand of UPS is needed... for home users this really important to keeping the data safe and disks spinning through minor power hits. (APC is a good choice) 

Yes, we can add these features, and many us have, but built-in is better.  We've set the bar fairly high with the myMain plug-in of unmenu.  (Well, bjp999 set it high) Many of his ideas could really improve the stock unRAID interface to allow easy monitoring of "smart" data.

As I said, we all have the same basic need.. reliable, safe, expandable storage of data, with fast easy access for our LAN clients.  The Popcorn Hour is probably just one of many LAN clients that will place high demands on bandwidth. It happens to exist currently.  As more and more LAN based media players can handle high-definition content, this need for high performance will be even more important to Tom's potential customers and the focus on one specific player should diminish.

Joe L.

There's nothing wrong with the other threads, and this has nothing to do with development focus.  This was just forum management.  This was a first topic (besides the poll question), as an example, an opening topic to illustrate what this brand new forum, Applications, was for.  Until now, there was not a good place for discussion of other applications, and their integration with unRAID, and it looks like Tom has now added a forum just for that.  I think some of the previous Popcorn Hour threads are in the Lounge forum, and others are scattered around.  As to why Popcorn Hour, I think Tom was just adding a topic here, that's currently actively being discussed.

There's nothing wrong with the other threads, and this has nothing to do with development focus.  This was just forum management.  This was a first topic (besides the poll question), as an example, an opening topic to illustrate what this brand new forum, Applications, was for.  Until now, there was not a good place for discussion of other applications, and their integration with unRAID, and it looks like Tom has now added a forum just for that.  I think some of the previous Popcorn Hour threads are in the Lounge forum, and others are scattered around.  As to why Popcorn Hour, I think Tom was just adding a topic here, that's currently actively being discussed.

Exactly right!

Hopefully. A simple move would do though.

Anyway keep up the good work, but please don't turn away from some basic functionality before going into more complex matters. For example mail notifications and a proper user-friendly way to capture logs (FOR YOU!) should come waaaaay before NFS (since NFS was not implemented from the early days, a bit more delay wouldn't hurt). And then making the project easier to plug-on-to for your great Hero members (that now find workarounds) should be a priority (they have even proposed how).

My opinion only.

• 3 weeks later...

A new firmware for PCH was just released a few days ago.

Among other things, it improves handling of high bitrate files.

If you have had any performance/stuttering issues with PCH, upgrade the firmware to this latest release.

New firmware was released for the A100, not the newer A110, which is still waiting for it's latest update...

• 3 weeks later...

A few lessons learned from a month or so of Popcorn Hour A-110 ownership:

1. PCH doesn't like gigabit networks (lots of stuttering and disconnections); I'm using a 10/100 router as an intermediary between the gigabit and PCH with good results

2. I'm streaming Blue-ray (.m2ts) off the unRAID over both SMB and NFS with good results

3. PCH doesn't seem to like HD-DVD native format (.evo) files; use ToNMT to convert to .m2ts (see here http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/ToNMT_UI)

stchas - Thanks for all the good info!

I am a fairly new A-110 owner and have been trying to work out the best way to use it with my unRAID box.  I haven't attempted Blu Ray yet, but I have ripped several SD movies with mixed success.  I seem to be having better luck since I switched to NSF (from SMB) for exporting ISO's to the A-110.

One of my objectives is not to make a total science project out of ripping content and prefer as close to a 1-click solution as possible.  I have had fair reaults with AnyDVD + ImgBurn and just creating ISO's to play on the A-110.  From what I read, doing Blu Ray is going to be a different story.

I have had my share of the A-110 locking up and requiring a power cycle.  And, I have some ISO's that just won't play, even though they were created with the exact tools / procedures as the one's that do play.

Anyway, waiting for the next firmware for the A-110 as many others are.  Hoping for more consistent results and increased reliability.

• 1 month later...

1. PCH doesn't like gigabit networks (lots of stuttering and disconnections); I'm using a 10/100 router as an intermediary between the gigabit and PCH with good results

The fact that it doesn't have a gigabit port is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on buying one.  I was thinking about giving it a try anyway but if what you are saying here is true then it is a no go.  I haven't heard anyone else mention this problem.  Any idea what may be causing it?

Once you put the router in the middle, you can successfully stream high bitrate blu-rays?  How does it do that on a 100 Mbit network?  Does it buffer a lot before it starts playing?

I started with a Mac Mini and Plex.  I loved the interface but the lack of hardware accelerated decoding killed it for me.  I'm currently trying an NVidia 9300 based PC with Media Center and Total Media Theater.  The playback is great when it works but it seems to be REALLY picky about what it will play and won't play.  I'm ready to throw it through a window.  The Popcorn hour looks like the answer... except for that 100 Mbit part.  Maybe I'll wait for the QNAP NMP1000 and see how that is.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It depends.

There are plenty of good 100/10000 switches out there, and plenty of crappy ones.  Speed-switching from 1000 to 100 is the place where crappy ones often show their shortcomings.

By putting a second 100-only switch in the loop, you double-buffer so hiccups are less likely to impact the PCH, and buffering on 100 to 100 will help to make up for crappy performance in the 1000 to 100 switch.

The fact that it doesn't have a gigabit port is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on buying one.  I was thinking about giving it a try anyway but if what you are saying here is true then it is a no go.  I haven't heard anyone else mention this problem.  Any idea what may be causing it?

I came up with the current solution after seeing the traffic on the NMT forum:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=14354&highlight=gigabit

By putting a second 100-only switch in the loop, you double-buffer so hiccups are less likely to impact the PCH, and buffering on 100 to 100 will help to make up for crappy performance in the 1000 to 100 switch.

Using a LINKSYS EG008W 10/100/1000Mbps 8-port switch.  Already had a LINKSYS BEFSR41 10/100Mbps Router/Switch in the network for internet access and DHCP server, so added a drop from the EG008W to the BEFSR41 to the A-110 and voila!  No more stuttering.  I'll spot you that the $60(US) for the EG008W puts it in the "cheap" class.  You might even call it "crappy."  But this solution seems to work for me.    ;D

Once you put the router in the middle, you can successfully stream high bitrate blu-rays?  How does it do that on a 100 Mbit network?  Does it buffer a lot before it starts playing?

The A-110 buffers no more than 5-10 seconds before starting, then remains rock-steady with blu-ray streams.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure what Syabas has in mind for future incorporation of a gigabit port.  But for $235(US) delivered, I'm really impressed with the PCH A-110!

Kevin

The fact that it doesn't have a gigabit port is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on buying one.  I was thinking about giving it a try anyway but if what you are saying here is true then it is a no go.

The stuttering problem with gigabit may be exclusive to the A110, because my A100 is connected to my unRaid server over a gigabit switch with no issues. I understand that for higher bitrate files, you need to serve it via HTTP (I run llink on my unRaid server) in order for the PCH to be able to get the data fast enough. The PCH hardware wouldn't gain much from a gigabit port, it doesn't even fully utilize 100M port. This may have changed with the A110, but I understand the A100 maxes out at around ~42Mbps, even from its internal hard drive.

That said, I've never had stuttering problems since I started using llink, even playing remuxed (not reencoded) Planet Earth HD DVD rips.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=6737

According to that link, MKV files actually play better over SMB or NFS, but they seem to be the exception. Most of my stuff is in TS or VOB format, and any MKVs tend to be reencodes with bitrates below the 20Mbps limit for MKVs over HTTP.

My biggest complaint is a lack of MJPG support on the PCH. Means I have find other ways to play back video shot with my digital camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help from you networking experts. I'm trying to get my PCH to work properly and I' getting tried of the hassell. The video will not flow smoothly. For example, someone walking will take one step smothly and the stutter begins on the second step. There is a rhythm to this which goes on continuiously.

I have tried everythig I can think of, but as I was walking by the router on my way to the bathroom, I noticed the cable modem was flashing an activity and no one is on line. SO, I unpluged the internet connection on the cable modem and wnet back to look at the picture and it was frozen. I reconnected the internet connection and the picture started again with the same problem as described above. I rebooted the PCH with the cable modem disconnected from the router and now I can not access my unRaid server. However, if I reconnect the modem I can play a video (it still has stuttering).

My question is why would the router internet connection have this kind of effect? The router is a Linksys wireless G with a four port switch. I can play the videos on other computers I have around the house using the router with no problems.

OK! There are no takers for the question as to why the internet connection stops playback of the PCH. However my biggest concern is why the video is jerky wiith the PCH A-110/unRaid combination. Is there anyone with an unRaid server who has had to deal with this? I saw the post by wildchild22 but I was hoping the solution would not be that involved.

The lan on the MB is a marvell gigabit, but that is connected to a Linksys wireless router (10/100). Help!

Hi Two Wire -

I'm a total novice.  That said, I do have a PCH-110 streaming wired from an unRAID server via SMB and it works perfectly - no stuttering.

You might get more help asking around at: www.networkedmediatank.com, the PCH support forum.  I'm guessing that unRAID is not the problem here based upon my experience.

Good luck!

I'm no networking pro, but I've got a PH-A100 working fine via SMB with Unraid (actually, it's far better than my TVIX 4100).  Have you:

-Upgraded to the latest A-110 firmware?

-Tried another router?  Or test with a direct (crossover CAT5E/6) connection from Unraid to PCH?

Let us know what you find.  The only problem with Unraid and PCH is the stuttering when another drive spins up.  If my kids are watching a flick and I transfer a file to another drive that has to spin up, there is a 15-20 second stuttering that's quite annoying. 

Thanks base428 and bill_in_socal for your replies. Maybe we can bang our heads togeather and solve this problem.

My unRaid server is plugged into a Linksys wireless router and I can stream any video I have (tv shows and old B/W movies) to any computer in the house without any problem.  I think my settings in the PCH may be wrong. I have an internal HDD in the PCH and some videos stored there. These I can also play without problems. I think my network settings are correct because I can browes to my unRaid and select a video, which begins to play in a jerky rhythm. I have tried both wired and wireless setups with the same results.

TV shows plays with no problems so is there a setting dealing with frame rate?  I just purchased the unit a few days ago and the firmware loades is:[A110] Firmware 01-17-090125-15-POP-403

Any help would be appreciated