ASUS P5PE-VM Ethernet Failure

I had the P5PE-VM I built my server on fail its onboard ethernet port after about 3 weeks. I ordered a new replacement MB and installed it today.  I'll be sending it back for a replacement.  I thought I'd let everyone know so we can see if this is the start of a trend or simply an isolated incident.  I have owned many ASUS MBs and this is only the second failure I have had.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for taking so long to respond here....UnRAID has been working like a champ and I got busy doing other stuff!  ;D

Anyway, as an alternative to buying another m/board, you could just buy a GOOD NIC card and don't bother with the onboard NIC. I bought an Intel NIC card, fitted it, turned off the onboard NIC in the BIOS and the machine has been going ever since!

The Intel NIC card cost me almost as much as a new P5PE-VM M/Board (you may find it cheaper in the US) but it's extremely reliable (that's what you're paying for) and it's MILES less effort than having to replace the whole motherboard.

Just a thought...

Hey All,

Yes mine failed as well last weekend. So I replaced it with a new board and sent the old on in for repair. I got onto Asus's forums and it seems this is a problem for many. I will be going the NIC route next time.

Interesting it failed about a month or so ago as well and I just shut down the server and plugged the cable into another port on my switch and it came back to life until last weekend. Solid so far.

Regards

Dave in Canada

My ethernet adapter on this MOBO died today.  Replaced it with a netgear gigabit pci adapter (only one I could find locally).  It worked.  What have the rest of you done?  Should I return the MOBO.  Will they send me a new one before I send this one back?  This seems to be a problem with this board. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can add me to the list of ethernet port failures.  I had the board for 2 months and the port just stoped working. 

I replaced it with a new one and everything is back to normal.  I am planning on sending this in to get repaired and then keeping  it as a spare.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have been using the Asus P5PE-VM motherboard in a Home Automation PC that runs 24/7 and while I have not had the on-board NIC fail, the RTC has started to loose about two minutes per day recently.

I have two other P5PE-VM motherboards. One is in a home made Home Security DVR and the other is acting as a test bed/backup spare for my two unRaid servers that are still running the original Intel micro ATX motherboards that Tom started with.

I think that this would indicate that Asus is having a real problem with quality control in relation to their parts suppliers.

The two other P5PE-VMs are still running okay, but I doubt that I will purchase anymore of them because of the NIC/RTC issues.

Just a thought.

Regards,

TCIII

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just had my second ethernet failure. 

I had purchased another board when my first went out and used that while the original was getting repaired.  A liitle over a month the new boards port went out.  I then installed the repaired board in and it would not post ??? So much for the repair!

I ended up buying an Intel pro/1000 MT board from ebay. (what I should have done in the first place).

I wiil go ahead and send the boards in one a time to get them fixed, but I am not using that port again.

Advice to anyone using the P5PE-VM spend the 40 bucks and get yourself a pci ethernet card.  I would suggest the Intel pro/1000 Mt because it works out of the box.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I just lost ethernet number four on this motherboard.  I put my FIFTH P5PE-VM motherboard in a year into service.  I guess I'll keep this up till Newegg won't ship me a new one ;D.  After that I guess I'll try something else, or a NIC card.  At least with the case I use the MB is on one side and the HDDs are on the other side making the MB swap pretty easy.

• 2 weeks later...

after about a year of usage with no problems, the NIC on my P5PE-VM failed.  weird because i have never had an onboard NIC fail before.  but it just suddenly stopped working.  so i just shipped it back to newegg for replacement or refund.  they currently do not have this board in stock so i am expecting that they will just issue a refund. 

just today i noticed this thread and was shocked to find that so many people were having the same problem.  i hate to use a different board because it seems like so many people use this board - even the limetech guys use this board when you order a prebuilt system.

i do have a PCI gigabit ethernet card that works but i figured since newegg is willing to take back the defective board i might as well take advantage of the offer.

but with that said - is there another motherboard that is well supported in the forums that many people are having good luck with?  especially if newegg ends up issuing a refund then i will have to either get a different board from them or find the same board elsewhere?

and if i end up trying to find the same board elsewhere, can someone else recommend a good place to get it?  it seems to be out of stock at newegg and zipzoomfly.

Well I just lost ethernet number four on this motherboard.  I put my FIFTH P5PE-VM motherboard in a year into service.  I guess I'll keep this up till Newegg won't ship me a new one ;D.  After that I guess I'll try something else, or a NIC card.  At least with the case I use the MB is on one side and the HDDs are on the other side making the MB swap pretty easy.

Maybe your switch/router that you're plugging into is bad?

• 2 weeks later...

I wish it were that simple.  One of my failures was with the system attached to my 100meg Baystack switch.  I also have 7 other devices attached to the same switch with no ill effects, and I  have used different ports at different times for the server.  It's the mobo plain and simple. Read the posts on the ASUS site and you'll be a believer too.  I am a huge ASUS fan and use thier mobos in MANY systems here at home and at work.  I'm not throwing rocks, only reporting my observations.

The ethernet port on my P5PE died this week after a number of months but less than a year of service. I bought the board as an open box from newegg and have had no other troubles with it. For now I've just got an old 10/100 card in my rig that I had lying around. It will have to do for a bit. I'm just in the middle of upgrading the rest of the computers in the house, so any new equipment purchases will have to wait until next month. Any suggestions on a reliable, inexpensive, compatible gig-e nic?

Thanks,

Fran