[Appliance] unRAID KVM - Arch Linux (2014.07.18) self maintained (adv users)

binhex

binhex ,I just started up your file on beta2 ,and now I see the benefit of this instead of plugins!!

Welcome to the party. LOL!

Do us all a favor and take screen shots and post them.

Provide more detail and answer the following questions:

1. How long it took you to install this VM Appliance?

2. Was it complicated?

3. Did it work?

4. Were all the Apps installed?

5. Did all the WebGUI's work?

6. Did any of those Apps crash the other?

7. Did the VM Appliance or any of the Apps crash your unRAID?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

binhex ,I just started up your file on beta2 ,and now I see the benefit of this instead of plugins!!

Need to read up how to build this kind of application VM  8)

Going to set up sabnzb to download to my cache disk.....

Can  AirVideo be installed ? that I'm going to work on......

//Peter

Glad it's working well :) I can't see air

video being a problem tbh, either grab from official repo or from AUR see my build notes for compiling from AUR tarballs it's pretty easy, even for a Linux newbie like me.

Even though this was built for KVM, should this work under Xen? I don't know the level of compatibility between the VMs. I am thinking of trying this on my XenServer 6.2 server, and not UnRAID 6.0 yet, but want to know if it should work before I try.

I've already started looking into this, seems very doable just need to convert back to raw format and then convert into vhd, then a few more tweaks and some paravirtualisation drivers and it should work

Edit take a look here http://fixx.co.za/convert-raw-disk-image-vhd-format/

Even though this was built for KVM, should this work under Xen? I don't know the level of compatibility between the VMs. I am thinking of trying this on my XenServer 6.2 server, and not UnRAID 6.0 yet, but want to know if it should work before I try.

I've already started looking into this, seems very doable just need to convert back to raw format and then convert into vhd, then a few more tweaks and some paravirtualisation drivers and it should work

Great to hear. I will wait for you to do the heavy lifting then since you seem to know what you are doing.  ;D

I look forward to the end result, and thanks for putting this together. It has the potential to rip out 75-80% of my UnRAID plugins in a single shot.

Basically for a repo to work I have to create a repo database file and put it on a hosting plan somewhere along with the package files.

This is easy.

Having multiple people update it could be more complex I guess? Duno. Maybe via FTP access and then running the command and uploading your compiled package might work.

For now, I'll just set up a test repo on my own hosting plan with a few apps and repo installation instructions. I'll do this tomorrow (its 10pm here).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Since we are talking about VM Appliances and several of you are thinking of creating / hosting a Software Repository... I have a suggestion for you.

Use an Appliance Linux Distro like Alpine Linux (would be my first choice), Puppy Linux or Tiny Core Linux.

All of those when installed take up less than 128MB of space, have a package manager, you can create own Software Repositories, well supported, lots of documentation, etc.

Even though Arch Linux is a lean mean fighting machine... It still has some bloat compared to the ones listed above.

quick update, got a new image going up right now, this included virtio for nic and storage which does make a significant difference, so might be worth holding off dowloading until this new image is up. also have set vnc to listen on all adapters and hard set port, will update op once its uploaded.

All right ladies and jellyspoons....

All the info you need is here! Advantage of using my repo is you don't need to install half a gigabyte's worth of build libraries and can keep your VM appliance just that. Pacman will download only the deps you need automatically.

http://unraidrepo.ktz.me/

I'll add more packages as you lot request. I'm adding madsonic any second...

Adding air vid, madsonic, logitech ms and openvpn.

air vid is a monster to build! taken 8 mins so far!

Oh yeah, do feel free to tell me if I missed any dependencies that are only available in AUR as I'll need to host those too (not difficult, just tell me). I havn't tested all of the packages so need you to do so!!

and

Logitech Media Server

OpenVPN

//P

Can you tell me which openvpn thing is required from AUR ? There are a lot, and I don't understand it!

Start with these

network openvpn-dev 2.3.2-2 31 An easy-to-use, robust, and highly configurable VPN (Virtual Private Network) cdemoulins

network openvpn-easy-rsa 2.2.2-1 20 A small RSA key management package that comes with OpenVPN

network pia-tools 0.9.7-1 2 OpenVPN hook for privateinternetaccess.com

system gadmin-openvpn-client 0.1.8-1 46 A GTK+ graphical user interface for OpenVPN(client). barton

network gadmin-openvpn-server 0.1.6-1 10 A GTK+ graphical user interface for OpenVPN (server)