Dockerization of some popular applications.

No more console errors and Movie Library survives a reboot. It seems that not only are Shares advisable, they are required for Plex to work. Once I turned on shares and created "Movies1" it all fell into place and works great. Now to test the transcoding to see if the CPU upgrade was worthwhile

old = i5 dual core on windows laptop

new = FX 6300 6-core on unRaid

Is there a way to add network locations to the Plex docker? If so, how?

random thoughts, since it like to use shares, can a network share be mapped as a local share and then added? If so, how?

In short, yes.  What you can do is mount an NFS or SMB share to your server and then pass that mount point through to the container as a volume mapping.  What kind of network protocol did you want to use for this?

I am using SMB for everything so unless there is a pressing reason to do it differently? From my reading of related posts, I will need to unmount them (there are 5 "remote" shares I need to add) before I try and stop the array? I ran into that yesterday when I didn't stop Plex before attempting to stop it. Resulted in having to shut down using power switch (which resulted in 8 hr parity check).

Is it possible to automate this mount/unmount process?

Yes. I have always used NFS because it has always just worked for me but some report getting stale file handles. And FYI, array will shutdown OK with NFS still mounted. Its not like a disk mount. I'll post instructions on this soon.

this is the missing piece for me to complete this upgrade. :) Anxiously awaiting your instructions.

Is there a way to add network locations to the Plex docker? If so, how?

random thoughts, since it like to use shares, can a network share be mapped as a local share and then added? If so, how?

In short, yes.  What you can do is mount an NFS or SMB share to your server and then pass that mount point through to the container as a volume mapping.  What kind of network protocol did you want to use for this?

I am using SMB for everything so unless there is a pressing reason to do it differently? From my reading of related posts, I will need to unmount them (there are 5 "remote" shares I need to add) before I try and stop the array? I ran into that yesterday when I didn't stop Plex before attempting to stop it. Resulted in having to shut down using power switch (which resulted in 8 hr parity check).

Is it possible to automate this mount/unmount process?

Yes. I have always used NFS because it has always just worked for me but some report getting stale file handles. And FYI, array will shutdown OK with NFS still mounted. Its not like a disk mount. I'll post instructions on this soon.

this is the missing piece for me to complete this upgrade. :) Anxiously awaiting your instructions.

Sorry.  Forgot I had a poker game to be at tonight.

To do this with NFS here's the quick instructions:

From command line

mkdir /mnt/whatever
mount servername:/mnt/user/sharename

Then add /mnt/whatever to your docker container as a volume.

Add those line to your flash drive's /boot/config/go file to have that automatically happen at array start.

You can also mount this by server IP instead of name.

From command line

mkdir /mnt/whatever

Add those line to your flash drive's /boot/config/go file to have that automatically happen at array start.

no joy

Tower login: root

Password:

Linux 3.16.3-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# mkdir /mnt/Movies2

root@Tower:~# mount tower2:/mnt/user/Movies2

mount: can't find tower2:/mnt/user/Movies2 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

root@Tower:~# mount TOWER2:/mnt/user/Movies2

mount: can't find TOWER2:/mnt/user/Movies2 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

root@Tower:~# mount TOWER2:/Movies2

mount: can't find TOWER2:/Movies2 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

root@Tower:~#

share on Tower2 is named Movies2

From command line

mkdir /mnt/whatever

no joy

Tower login: root

Password:

Linux 3.16.3-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# mkdir /mnt/Movies2

root@Tower:~# mount tower2:/mnt/user/Movies2

mount: can't find tower2:/mnt/user/Movies2 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

root@Tower:~# mount TOWER2:/mnt/user/Movies2

mount: can't find TOWER2:/mnt/user/Movies2 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

root@Tower:~# mount TOWER2:/Movies2

mount: can't find TOWER2:/Movies2 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

share on Tower2 is named Movies2

Try using the ip address for the servername.

From command line

mkdir /mnt/whatever

Once I have created this, will it persist through reboots? If not can I add something like this to the Go scripts?

Hmm, did you you read the last part of my post about editing the go script?

just guessing but shouldn't this be something like this?

mkdir /mnt/whatever
mount servername:/sharename  mnt/whatever

mount remote share as local share

Yes. Sorry. Was typing while at poker and was getting yelled at for being on my phone so I kept putting it down and kept having to remember where I left off.

Well Movies2 isn't probably the share name on tower2 right?

Mkdir /mnt/movies2

Mount tower2:/mnt/movies /mnt/movies2

actually it is :)

corrected for capitalization, I get to this new error

root@Tower:~# mount tower2:/mnt/Movies2 /mnt/Movies2

mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported

Do you not have NFS turned on the share for tower2/movies2?

NFS was OFF on both machines. Have turned it on for the respective shares. Should setting "Export:" be Yes or No for NFS? I see SMB is set to Yes. Both machine/shares are set to Public.

I have no users other than me on the internal network. All shares/disks on both machines are Public.

The only one that needs to be turned on is on tower 2 under the movies2 share.

On tower2:  First make sure NFS is turned on overall under the settings page at the top (click NFS and make sure its set to yes).  The go to the shares page and click the share name from there (movies2) and click "yes" under NFS export.

The try your mount commands again.

Thanks for all your help. I think I will opt for Plan B and consolidate all the movies on Tower.

Tower2 was built back with v4.7 before I found out v5.x could handle larger than 2TB drives. Tower just got a CPU upgrade to a AMD FX-series 6 core for Plex capabilities (and a new motherboard while t.shooting the slow write speeds) so I think I will move what I can fit for now and order a couple 4TB drives and start the upgrade process.

Part of that decision came from Googling the NFS mount commands last night and finding a lot of posts about how fragile these mounts can be. I am all for reducing complexity so it seems "all on one box" makes more sense.

Thanks again for your help and patience with me.

for the record, this worked. Found it on http://ubuntuforums.org

mkdir /mnt/[localShareName]
mount -t cifs //[netbios-servername]/[sharename] /mnt/[localShareName] -o username=root@[netbios-servername],password=[remote-tower-root-password],iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

where values in [xyz] are replaced with your variables

Woo hoo!!  So no need for plan B??

• Like 1

mount -t cifs //[netbios-servername]/[sharename] /mnt/[localShareName] -o username=root@[netbios-servername],password=[remote-tower-root-password],iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

Moving forward with Plan B. I realized I still needed a way to transfer the movies between boxes. 2.5 hours into a 843 GB transfer right now with 6 or 7 batches of roughly the same size to follow. :)

Moving forward with Plan B. I realized I still needed a way to transfer the movies between boxes. 2.5 hours into a 843 GB transfer right now with 6 or 7 batches of roughly the same size to follow. :)

I actually do this over the network.  Why not?  You already have the mechanism in place with the mount that you performed.  Here's what you can do:

login via console on tower1 (I'll call them tower1 and tower2 for now).

type "mc" to bring up midnight commander.

browse to your "source" on the left and your "target" on the right.

Select the items on the left you want to move to the right by hitting "ctrl + t" on the keyboard (you can tag multiple files / folders).

Hitting F5 (on your keyboard) will then initiate a "copy" whereas F6 could be used to initiate a "move"

There is even an option to have the job run in the background so you don't have to leave your terminal session open to do this.

I've literally copied terabytes of data with this method and had zero problems.  I was even still streaming movies and running VMs while the copies were going.  no problems.

• Like 1