[PLUGIN] Web Virtual Manager (depreciated)

dmacias

First of all, great work on the plugin. It took me sometime to figure things out, but once I did I was a very happy camper. I only have one question, is the vnc connection available from libvirtd or qemu accessible from standard vnc clients such as turbovnc and so forth.

In order to have the console accessible from the webvirtmgr you must add the following directive to your xml:

websocket='-1'

under the vnc properites near the bottom of the xml file.

Once edited it should look something like this:

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics

Hope that helps everyone out and saves some time.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for that detailed explaination. I was just editing the original post with the vnc info.  I included a link to the libvirt-1.2.8-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz package.  libvirt-python-1.2.8-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz is already installed by the plugin. 

libvirt-1.2.8-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz was deliberately left out.  It should be part of its own plugin, which I was working on but I was waiting to see if changes would make it in beta9. All I ask is that if Beta9 includes the changes to libvirt that you might edit your post to avoid confusion.

Thanks for that detailed explaination. I was just editing the original post with the vnc info.  I included a link to the libvirt-1.2.8-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz package.  libvirt-python-1.2.8-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz is already installed by the plugin. 

libvirt-1.2.8-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz was deliberately left out.  It should be part of its own plugin, which I was working on but I was waiting to see if changes would make it in beta9. All I ask is that if Beta9 includes the changes to libvirt that you might edit your post to avoid confusion.

Will do. And one more thing:

Do regular vnc clients work at all? with the vnc from qemu ? I have tried editing libvirtd.conf and qemu.conf in every imaginable way to try and get vnc clients like realvnc or tightvnc or turbovnc to work.

Bug Report:

When I click the "RUNNING", it open a tab with "Unraid:91" (the port I choose).  On a mac, that doesn't work.  It need to be either :

http://Unraid.local:91 or http://192.168.2.6:91

(those are my Tower name and Ports and IP as an exemple).

Just using Unraid:91 give an error page.

Suggestion :

When we click in the "Install directory", you should do like the Docker Extended plugins and load the list of folders in the Unraid, it will be easier than typing a path. 

Question :

Is this normal to still have this error when going into "Networks" in WebVirtMgr ? :

this function is not supported by the connection driver: virConnectNumOfNetworks

Would http://unraid:91 work?

Nope.  It need to be http://unraid.local:91 or http://192.168.2.6:91http://unraid:91 will give same error.

Do regular vnc clients work at all? with the vnc from qemu ? I have tried editing libvirtd.conf and qemu.conf in every imaginable way to try and get vnc clients like realvnc or tightvnc or turbovnc to work.

I was able to use vnc before messing with libvirt but I set my ports manually for each vm.  5900, 5901... I used Remmina which is a Linux vnc client. I know soma have had trouble with some of the vnc clients.  One worked, one didn't but I don't remember which one.

I also use virt-manager and is built in vnc.

The only settings I ever use are listen_tcp = 1 and auth_tcp = "none" in libvirtd.conf.

I uncommented listen_addr = "0.0.0.0" but webvirtmgr did not install on boot. I then changed the default timer from 30 to 60 and webvirtmgr did install on a reboot. The only down side is that unRAID takes awhile to boot up but I guess how often do you really reboot.

I updated the plugin for your slow network :)  I packaged up the python add-ons and removed pip so they are installed from a package and don't have to be downloaded on every boot.

And I gave Peter his button.  I will update later so it shows the online version verses installed version by the update button.  And try and get usernames from the sqlite db.

I have used tiger VNC to connect. The in-browser VNC is convenient but not required to use.

I uncommented listen_addr = "0.0.0.0" but webvirtmgr did not install on boot. I then changed the default timer from 30 to 60 and webvirtmgr did install on a reboot. The only down side is that unRAID takes awhile to boot up but I guess how often do you really reboot.

I updated the plugin for your slow network :)  I packaged up the python add-ons and removed pip so they are installed from a package and don't have to be downloaded on every boot.

And I gave Peter his button.  I will update later so it shows the online version verses installed version by the update button.  And try and get usernames from the sqlite db.

Great job it works! I think I found a bug too! (I am so good at breaking things!)

I attempted to updated the plg from the extensions -> plugins unRAID page and it renamed the original webvirtmgr.plg to webvirtmgr.plg.old; however it never created a new webvirtmgr.plg on the flash drive. As a result, webvirtmgr did not install on reboot. I had to redownload the plg from your github and then it installs the plg on the flash drive.

Great job it works! I think I found a bug too! (I am so good at breaking things!)

I attempted to updated the plg from the extensions -> plugins unRAID page and it renamed the original webvirtmgr.plg to webvirtmgr.plg.old; however it never created a new webvirtmgr.plg on the flash drive. As a result, webvirtmgr did not install on reboot. I had to redownload the plg from your github and then it installs the plg on the flash drive.

You did and I believe that bug is fixed in beta 9

With the release of 6b9 I updated the WebVirtMgr plugin and added a separate Virtman plugin to control libvirt and mount an small loopback image to /etc/libvirt.  The image will be stored in /boot/config/plugins/virtman. No more need for startup scripts or symlinks.  If you install Virtman you can then copy your existing symlinked libvirt directory data to /etc/libvirt then restart the plugin for settings to take effect.

Ok,

I'm a little confused.  This is all pretty new to me so I'm not blaming anyone's attempt to explain how to use this, I'm just a super n00b!  :D  I've got the plugin(s) installed (installed under b9 only this morning).

I have a running windows7 kvm.  I shut it down.  I moved the windows7.xml to /etc/libvert, edited the /etc/libvert/windows7.xml's vnc line and restarted the plugin(s).  When I go to add a connection on the Dashboard, and type in 'unRaid' under local socket, it asks me 'Please match the requested format'    I tried typing in the name of my win7 xml  (windows7.xml) and it took it.  Added a box/connection but I don't believe it's linked to my VM.

If someone could point me at least in the general direction of what I should be doing I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

That is just the connection to unRAID. It can't be capitalized for some reason so just use unraid. I had that problem too.  I'll add that to the first post.

Thanks!

Ok, so I deleted mine and recreated one as unraid.  Should my windows7.xml show up in instances if it's in /etc/libvirt dir?  If not, how do I add it from the file itself? or copy/paste it?  Sorry if these are silly questions...

One more since I'm blurting out questions!

I'm getting a warning/error in the Create Instance page  "Requested operation is not valid: storage pool 'default' is not active"

No they're not silly.  I need work on the instructions. Especially for webvirtmgr.  First where are your vm image and xml files located?  I have my vm images on /mnt/domains/images which is a separate ssd from the array.  I have virtman create a default storage location which is /mnt/cache/images but I don't actually create that directory.  You need to edit the default storage in webvirtmgr to the location of your images.  Creating a vm from your xml file in webvirtmgr may be the easiest. I'll update the first post with some better instructions for webvirtmgr

My VM is on my cache drive in /mnt/cache/VMs/Windows7  I had copied windows7.xml to /etc/libvirt but I'm guessing now thats wrong.

I installed webvirt also in /mnt/cache/VMs/webvirmgr

The location for the xml should have been /etc/libvirt/qemu.  But if you create a new instance from a xml. You can just copy and paste and don't have to restart virtman/libvirt.  Also I thought you could edit storage locations in webvirmgr but it seems you can't.  So in webvirtmgr you'll need to stop then delete the default storage then create a new default storage location pointing to /mnt/cache/VMs/.  You could also add another for Windows vms /mnt/cache/VMs/Windows7 but I have all my images in one location and a separate media storage for install cd images

The location for the xml should have been /etc/libvirt/qemu.  But if you create a new instance from a xml. You can just copy and paste and don't have to restart virtman/libvirt.  Also I thought you could edit storage locations in webvirmgr but it seems you can't.  So in webvirtmgr you'll need to stop then delete the default storage then create a new default storage location pointing to /mnt/cache/VMs/.  You could also add another for Windows vms /mnt/cache/VMs/Windows7 but I have all my images in one location and a separate media storage for install cd images

Ok, I created a new storage and pointed it to my Windows7 directory, then I just copied and pasted my windows7 xml into create new instance.  That seemed to work.  I was able to start my VM too!  Yea!  Thanks

From within webvirtmgr. You stop the storage then delete it. You can also remove the default.xml from /etc/libvirt/storage and in /etc/libvirt/storage/autostart. But you have to restart virtman (libvirt) for changes to take effect. It's best to make changes in webvirtmgr fir this reason.

No they're not silly.  I need work on the instructions. Especially for webvirtmgr.  First where are your vm image and xml files located?  I have my vm images on /mnt/domains/images which is a separate ssd from the array.  I have virtman create a default storage location which is /mnt/cache/images but I don't actually create that directory.  You need to edit the default storage in webvirtmgr to the location of your images.  Creating a vm from your xml file in webvirtmgr may be the easiest. I'll update the first post with some better instructions for webvirtmgr

Don't let him off that easy. Dmtalon is a very silly person ????