[PLUGIN] Web Virtual Manager (depreciated)

dmacias

I figured that when he wanted to create a windows vm :)

While I know you're kidding..  RIGHT!

I'm trying to replace my HTPC that had a HDD failure.  I need to be able to get a PCIE sound card passed through to the VM though for this to work.  I tried in Xen w/o success, so now I'm trying to learn KVM.

07:00.0 PCI bridge: Creative Labs [sB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG PCI to PCIe Bridge

08:00.0 Audio device: Creative Labs [sB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG

I think part of my problem is, while the card itself is physically a PCIE card, it's a PCI card underneath (hence the bridge).  and it is part of a larger group of other devices.  Not sure if I can get away with just pacing one through.

That card is needed for my Casatunes software to handle my whole house audio.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish I could help you with that, the passthrough not being silly :) ,  but jonp, peter or some others will have to help with windows pcie passthrough. I haven't attempted a windows vm yet or passthrough.

Right, and I wouldn't want to throw this thread off topic either.  I've started a separate thread.  Thanks again for helping me get this started!

Installed the new version of webvirtmgr and virtman. Both are working as the should; however, I upgraded webvirtmgr from the extensions page and it installed just fine but refused to start. I ended up deleting the plg and webvirtmgr folder on my cache drive and started fresh. It's been working fine ever sense then. Thanks for your hard work dmacias!

Installed the new version of webvirtmgr and virtman. Both are working as the should; however, I upgraded webvirtmgr from the extensions page and it installed just fine but refused to start. I ended up deleting the plg and webvirtmgr folder on my cache drive and started fresh. It's been working fine ever sense then. Thanks for your hard work dmacias!

I'm not sure how you keep breaking it. :)

I just updated the virtman image because the default unraid libvirtd.conf had listen_addr = 127.0.0.1 uncommented. If your still using virt-manager you'll need to comment that line back out in/etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf. It has listen_tcp =1 but then limits you to localhost by having listen_addr = 127.0.0.1. Seems contradictory since local can be accessed by local socket instead of tcp.

I'm not sure how you keep breaking it. :)

I just updated the virtman image because the default unraid libvirtd.conf had listen_addr = 127.0.0.1 uncommented. If your still using virt-manager you'll need to comment that line back out in/etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf. It has listen_tcp =1 but then limits you to localhost by having listen_addr = 127.0.0.1. Seems contradictory since local can be accessed by local socket instead of tcp.

I am just special... what are you going to do? Yeah, I noticed that virt-manager is broken now. Is the easiest thing to do just install the updated virtman to get the changes needed for virt-manager?

Need some help, trying out for the first time the VM on my unraid. My mobo+older chipset doesn't support vt-d but supports vt-x. I am trying to install ubuntu and windows 7 vm's on the machine to play and see how useful it can be. My eventual goal is to replace my current htpc and the older hardware unraid with one system.

I have the two plugins from this thread installed, can someone help me or point to a walk through on what I need to do get my first vm(s) running on unraid? Ubuntu or Win7, whichever is easier. I have lurked around the forums to see bits and pieces but none to help a noobie get started.

EDIT: I found some info from another thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33807.0

Where do you get images from, I am specifically looking for Win7 Pro (setup HTPC) and Ubuntu (for exploring)? Can I make a Win7 image using an install disk or do these images need to be specifically tailored for a VM?

I used this guide to install my Ubuntu VM:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=34097.msg316540#msg316540

NOTE: you have to use the command line to follow this guide. If you would rather use webvirtmgr then click on new instance and pick the options that are relevant... If you need more help there are some youtube videos on how to use webvirtmgr (that might be the easiest way).

Thanks, will give it a shot tonight. Hope my little ones go to bed early.

NOTE: you have to use the command line to follow this guide. If you would rather use webvirtmgr then click on new instance and pick the options that are relevant... If you need more help there are some youtube videos on how to use webvirtmgr (that might be the easiest way).

I followed the template and attempted to install Ubuntu 12.04. I had to change the network interface to 'docker0' from 'br0' and the IP address to my unraid machine IP. I was able to use TightVNC and login. However, I cannot access the internet from the Ubuntu VM. Is there anything else I need to change?

My xml file and output from ifconfig is attached below. What needs to be fixed to enable net access within the VM?

ubuntuOS.xml.txt

ifconfig.txt

I struggled quit a bit with br0, I kept getting an error while "virsh create .." that br0 was not found and the creation of VM failed. Anyway to explicitly create br0 and then call from the script? I tried brctl .. but didn't far.

As for the keyboard, I am puzzled as well. With the defaul US KB I was getting keys messed up. So had to use the identify kb option while installing ubuntu. Maybe peter_sm had that set as default. Will change that :)

Change the network interface back to br0.

You shouldn't even need to define keymap for vnc in your vm xml file. It defaults to us. This is from the first post just copy and paste over your vnc section in your vm xml file.

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>

This will allow you to connect to your vm from webvirtmgr using local socket also.

Here is the xml I use for my ubuntu vm

<domain type='kvm' id='2'> <name>apps</name> <uuid>79ea9145-b63d-0b83-36e5-16c0bed01ff6</uuid> <description>Ubuntu 14.04 LTS</description> <memory unit='KiB'>2097152</memory> <currentMemory unit='KiB'>2097152</currentMemory> <vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu> <resource> <partition>/machine</partition> </resource> <os> <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-2.1'>hvm</type> <boot dev='hd'/> </os> <features> <acpi/> <apic/> <pae/> </features> <clock offset='localtime'> <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/> <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/> <timer name='hpet' present='yes'/> </clock> <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff> <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot> <on_crash>restart</on_crash> <devices> <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator> <disk type='file' device='disk'> <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/> <source file='/mnt/domains/images/apps.qcow2'/> <backingStore/> <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/> <alias name='virtio-disk0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/> </disk> <controller type='usb' index='0'> <alias name='usb0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x2'/> </controller> <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pci-root'> <alias name='pci.0'/> </controller> <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'> <alias name='virtio-serial0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0'/> </controller> <filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'> <source dir='/mnt'/> <target dir='shares'/> <alias name='fs0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/> </filesystem> <interface type='bridge'> <mac address='00:16:3e:01:01:04'/> <source bridge='br0'/> <target dev='vnet0'/> <model type='virtio'/> <alias name='net0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/> </interface> <serial type='pty'> <source path='/dev/pts/0'/> <target port='0'/> <alias name='serial0'/> </serial> <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/0'> <source path='/dev/pts/0'/> <target type='serial' port='0'/> <alias name='serial0'/> </console> <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/> <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/> <graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0'> <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/> </graphics> <video> <model type='cirrus' vram='9216' heads='1'/> <alias name='video0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/> </video> <memballoon model='virtio'> <alias name='balloon0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/> </memballoon> </devices> </domain> Edit

Thank you dmacias, got it working now!

You shouldn't even need to define keymap for vnc in your vm xml file. It defaults to us. This is from the first post just copy and paste over your vnc section in your vm xml file.

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>

This will allow you to connect to your vm from webvirtmgr using local socket also.

Here is the xml I use for my ubuntu vm

<domain type='kvm' id='2'> <name>apps</name> <uuid>79ea9145-b63d-0b83-36e5-16c0bed01ff6</uuid> <description>Ubuntu 14.04 LTS</description> <memory unit='KiB'>2097152</memory> <currentMemory unit='KiB'>2097152</currentMemory> <vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu> <resource> <partition>/machine</partition> </resource> <os> <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-2.1'>hvm</type> <boot dev='hd'/> </os> <features> <acpi/> <apic/> <pae/> </features> <clock offset='localtime'> <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/> <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/> <timer name='hpet' present='yes'/> </clock> <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff> <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot> <on_crash>restart</on_crash> <devices> <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator> <disk type='file' device='disk'> <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/> <source file='/mnt/domains/images/apps.qcow2'/> <backingStore/> <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/> <alias name='virtio-disk0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/> </disk> <controller type='usb' index='0'> <alias name='usb0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x2'/> </controller> <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pci-root'> <alias name='pci.0'/> </controller> <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'> <alias name='virtio-serial0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0'/> </controller> <filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'> <source dir='/mnt'/> <target dir='shares'/> <alias name='fs0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/> </filesystem> <interface type='bridge'> <mac address='00:16:3e:01:01:04'/> <source bridge='br0'/> <target dev='vnet0'/> <model type='virtio'/> <alias name='net0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/> </interface> <serial type='pty'> <source path='/dev/pts/0'/> <target port='0'/> <alias name='serial0'/> </serial> <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/0'> <source path='/dev/pts/0'/> <target type='serial' port='0'/> <alias name='serial0'/> </console> <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/> <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/> <graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0'> <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/> </graphics> <video> <model type='cirrus' vram='9216' heads='1'/> <alias name='video0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/> </video> <memballoon model='virtio'> <alias name='balloon0'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/> </memballoon> </devices> </domain> Edit

I've got the beta10 version of libvirt plugin installed, and the 2014.09.18 WebVirtMgr installed with Beta10a.

When I restart my unRAID server, both virtMan and VM Manager show up in the Settings with a status of "Stopped".  I thought both were supposed to start during boot, as I don't see any settings for autostart.

Am I correct in thinking something is wrong because these plugins aren't starting?  If so, any suggestions on troubleshooting?  I do not so any errors in the log.

The only thing "special" I can think of is I am mounting /mnt/btrfs (an ssd drive) in my go script, and pointing WebVirtMgr there instead of to my cache drive.

I rebooted onto 10a w/o updating the two plugins that seem to be showing updates.  And everything started all the way up (libvirt/webvirtmgr) and my VM booted.

I see this in plugin's though.  Is it ok to install these updates?  do I need to make any configuration changes?

The virtMan update isn't really necessary.  I just change the way I renamed the old virtman to virtMan.  Webvirtmgr has some changes.  I added a login page if you scroll down in the settings page and a few minor changes.  But I'm gonna update it tonight to a new install format.

Sooo, I accidentally created an instance from XML with a space in the server name.  Virtman was displeased.  Now, I can't access the instances page.  Every time I do, I get a 500 error.  I have looked all over to find where these things are stored so I can delete the offending image, but I'm at a loss.  I have tried the github repo for virtman itself, but the FAQ is written in cyrillic.  Which I am at best unqualified to even attempt.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful!

TIA,

P