OpenVPN Server & Client for unRAID 6.2+ (6.1 are still supported)

peter_sm

However, the connection to the server through OpenVPN was capped at 2Mbps, resulting in a choppy playback of any video, even ones that were only a few hundred megabytes.

My server has a Gigabit NIC, and my connection to the outside world is 100Mbps. Below is a diagram

Server <----1000Mbps Gigabit NIC ----> Home Router <---- 100Mbps --> Internet <--- 25Mbps ----> Nexus 5X LTE connection

However, OpenVPN speed is capped at 2Mbps.

Do you have symmetric 100Mbps at your home? Most US internet connections are asymmetric, and offer much lower transmit than receive speeds. Try running a speed benchmark (speedtest.net) behind your home router to check what speed you are actually able to transmit.

However, the connection to the server through OpenVPN was capped at 2Mbps, resulting in a choppy playback of any video, even ones that were only a few hundred megabytes.

My server has a Gigabit NIC, and my connection to the outside world is 100Mbps. Below is a diagram

Server <----1000Mbps Gigabit NIC ----> Home Router <---- 100Mbps --> Internet <--- 25Mbps ----> Nexus 5X LTE connection

Do you have symmetric 100Mbps at your home? Most US internet connections are asymmetric, and offer much lower transmit than receive speeds. Try running a speed benchmark (speedtest.net) behind your home router to check what speed you are actually able to transmit.

I am having a really similar issue, if we can solve it, a beer is all yours.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated...

Do you think this applies??

http://winaero.com/blog/speed-up-openvpn-and-get-faster-speed-over-its-channel/

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

Can you manually add this to server ovpn file and to the client file and test?  :)

//Peter

Thanks again.

Try also modify only the server ovpn file with this lines.

sndbuf 0
rcvbuf 0
push "sndbuf 393216"
push "rcvbuf 393216"

Try also modify only the server ovpn file with this lines.

sndbuf 0
rcvbuf 0
push "sndbuf 393216"
push "rcvbuf 393216"

I am going to go with no change... if anything maybe worse..

Tried both server/client, server only and client only.

This is my home internet connection where my Unraid Server lives...

5573401245.png

This is my Samsung Galaxy S7 on a 4G network with good reception using the VPN on "redirect-gateway def1"

0tQqzDB.png

I normally get about 50 each way on 4G.

For the life of my I can't figure out what is bottle necking it, I don't have any special QoS or anything.

Hi Again Peter,

I just noticed that whenever I connect to the openvpn server, it docent change my ip address on sites like "whatismyipadress.com". I read on other sites that whenever you connect to a openvpn server it is supposed to change your ip address to the same one as your home network.

Also I tried reinstalling the plugin but that doesn't seem to help.

Please help,

Thanks!

I have tested different settings and verified with my Mobile over 3G

This setting didn't change my Mobile IP

Redirect-gateway = No
Push LAN subnet to the clients  = No

This settings give my mobile samer IP as my WAN

Redirect-gateway = redirect-gateway def1
Push LAN subnet to the clients  = Yes

These settings are in my plugin and shall rout all client traffic (including web-traffic) through the VPN

push "redirect-gateway def1"

And iptables rule

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s <VPN server IP>/24 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

One thing I'm not sure about is DNS settings, need to get this verify.

one of these should be fine, or all variants is OK?

push "dhcp-option DNS <VPN server IP>"
push "dhcp-option DNS <UNRAID IP>"
push "dhcp-option DNS <ROUTER IP>"
push "dhcp-option DNS <GOOGLE>"

We can try this as well  on client-side

redirect-gateway def1

So I didn't understand the 3rd code block,

I currently have this:

remote [WAN IP]
cipher aes-256-cbc
auth sha512
client
dev tun
proto udp
port 80
resolv-retry infinite
tls-client
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
remote-cert-tls server
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-GCM-SHA384:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-128-GCM-SHA256:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-CAMELLIA-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-128-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-CAMELLIA-128-CBC-SHA
comp-lzo adaptive
verb 3
route-delay 2
key-direction 1

Should I do this?

remote [WAN IP]
cipher aes-256-cbc
auth sha512
client
dev tun
proto udp
port 80
resolv-retry infinite
tls-client
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
remote-cert-tls server
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-GCM-SHA384:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-128-GCM-SHA256:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-CAMELLIA-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-128-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-CAMELLIA-128-CBC-SHA
comp-lzo adaptive
verb 3
route-delay 2
key-direction 1
redirect-gateway def1
push "dhcp-option DNS 10.8.0.1"
push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.3.111"
push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.3.1"
push "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8"

or should I only add one of the lines with push "dhcp-option DNS ....."

Thanks,

No, I can't really verify that all traffic is going though the vpn. However I want to make sure that as much of it is going though it since I will have to go to a place where there is a web filter. I want to make sure I do everything I can to make sure I can access my home network since once I get there since I won't come back(to my home network to change vpn settings) for a couple months. The only thing is know is that port 80 and port 443 are open.

Any suggestions to improve my chances?

Thanks again,

• 2 weeks later...

openVPN client hanging webui

unRAID 6.2 rc5

browser - Chrome (latest)

Set to connect and mount

i have a problem and i have had it before with previous version of unRAID but it came right about a prolong period of time 30+ mins.

when i try an enter the settings page for openVPN under settings it just hangs for a long time, the up time of the server is about 5 days at the moment, i have currently been waiting for about 30min.

if i try to go to another unRAID tab its still hung.

i can close the browser and reopen and its still not responding when trying to get to the unRAID gui, tried another browser and its the same

I can access the server via putty.

with out restating the server can i do anything else and also why am i having this problem?

At the moment the server has no internet access

unRAID 6.2 rc5

Set to connect and mount

i have a problem and i have had it before with previous version of unRAID but it came right about a prolong period of time 30+ mins.

when i try an enter the settings page for openVPN under settings it just hangs for a long time, the up time of the server is about 5 days at the moment, i have currently been waiting for about 30min.

i can close the browser and reopen and its still not responding when trying to get to the unRAID gui, tried another browser and its the same

with out restating the server can i do anything else and also why am i having this problem?

The plugin looking for your WAN IP. If yo don't have any internet it will be stuck while perform this command.

//Peter

unRAID 6.2 rc5

Set to connect and mount

The plugin looking for your WAN IP. If yo don't have any internet it will be stuck while perform this command.

//Peter

Right, so the only option is to restart the server?

Is there a way I can kill the running service?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Create a folder /boot/openvpn and then copy your files to that folder. Start the plugin.

I must be doing something wrong.  I copied the files, entered my details but it didn't connect.  The southampton file has:

client
proto udp
dev tun5
remote uk-southampton.privateinternetaccess.com 1198
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
cipher aes-128-cbc
auth sha1
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
comp-lzo
verb 1
reneg-sec 0
crl-verify crl.rsa.2048.pem
ca ca.rsa.2048.crt
disable-occ

auth-user-pass /boot/config/plugins/openvpnclient/password.txt

status /tmp/openvpn/openvpn-status.log

openvpn.png.9a1e48c25e9d3669883aeaffc26125cb.png

After you have saved the settings and started the client, did you see any error log?

Options error: --ca fails with 'ca.rsa.2048.crt': No such file or directory
Options error: --crl-verify fails with 'crl.rsa.2048.pem': No such file or directory
Options error: Please correct these errors.
Use --help for more information.

I've installed the client and my pia file from the link above - do I get the missing files from above from your server plugin, or elsewhere?  Sorry if not understanding, but new to setting up a VPN this way