unRAID 6.0 Beta 10: How to use KVM / Libvirt

jonp

Hey guys, thought I should share a post with you on this for those that are experimenting with unRAID 6 beta 10.  We made a slight change to beta 10 that will require folks with KVM virtual machines to switch to using dmacias plugins for virtman and webvirtmgr.  We are making changes to how libvirt is going to work officially going forward, but in the meantime, dmacias plugins are a good substitute to more easily create and manage KVM virtual machines in unRAID 6.  I have tested his plugins with Beta 10 and both with GPU pass through as well as non-pass through VMs.  They work great and best of all, settings to libvirt persist after reboot!

To make use of these plugins, please visit his thread here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35136.0

I'm working on getting some guides put together as well as some easy-to-install VMs to play with for those that are eager, but for now, it doesn't take much to "figure out" what to do if you read dmacias posts.  Thanks guys!

I have to imagine that this has been discussed but I can't find any threads on it...

Can virt-manager be install/enabled in the core (or via a plugin) to be used with X11 forwarding?  The web version is nice but I prefer the true client for actually setting up VMs.

John

I have to imagine that this has been discussed but I can't find any threads on it...

Can virt-manager be install/enabled in the core (or via a plugin) to be used with X11 forwarding?  The web version is nice but I prefer the true client for actually setting up VMs.

John

In short, no.  To install virt-manager directly on our OS would require us to add a GUI to unRAID Server OS which isn't going to happen.  However, it wouldn't be too difficult to get an initial VM setup on unRAID that has virt-manager installed on it and can be remotely accessed via VNC for setting up additional VMs.

I thought I remember reading that a desktop is not required for virtman x11 forwarding.  I'll see if I can find the thread.  I think it was one of grumpy's.

John

Well, you may not need to present the GUI, but you'd need all the components to support a GUI to do X11 forwarding, which would add unnecessary bloat and complexity to the OS image.