Moving File already on cache transfers slow!

unRAIDers,

I was noticing some slow transfers speeds when moving media around and emko from IRC channel just happened to comment on the same thing.  Stick with me as this isn't the easiest to describe.

I have a "Downloads" share which is CACHE only. I also have "Media" share which is normal array share which uses cache.

If a file is added to Downloads section and then moved to the Media share I get a transfer speed of 40MB/s.  This is all before "Mover" has ran also so Parity Drive should not be involved at this point.

I do not remember this delay at all in 5.0.5.

My question is why?  If the file within the "Downloads" share is already on the cache and the "Media" share uses the cache why the delay for moving it?  Shouldn't the move almost be instant?

Any one have any ideas?

Server stats are in my sig. 

Thanks in advance! 

Quick questions to try to isolate this behavior.

1. How fast are the speeds when using root prompt and doing a mv from /downloads to /TV (respective directories)?

2. Are these files moved from within a docker from 2 different mapped dirs, for instance if it's downloads to TV, is it like /downloads = /mnt/cache/downloads and /TV = /mnt/user/TV

3. If using docker, can you try switch the mapped dirs to use the cache drive directly, ie /TV = /mnt/cache/TV

This should give some insight if it's the docker mapping system or the user file share system (shfs for /mnt/user/) or some interaction between the two.

1. speed is the same it's still copying the file data over instead of just moving it, doing a mv cache/downloads/file to cache/media/file is instant

2./mnt/ and the config is the only mappings.

3. changing it so that the app uses cache/tv/ will make it instant but then we can't have the app see all the other files as they are on user/tv/

:example setting a tv show in sonarr to be on the "cache/tv/tv show name" when file gets download it will be moved instant.

Quick questions to try to isolate this behavior.

1. How fast are the speeds when using root prompt and doing a mv from /downloads to /TV (respective directories)?

2. Are these files moved from within a docker from 2 different mapped dirs, for instance if it's downloads to TV, is it like /downloads = /mnt/cache/downloads and /TV = /mnt/user/TV

3. If using docker, can you try switch the mapped dirs to use the cache drive directly, ie /TV = /mnt/cache/TV

This should give some insight if it's the docker mapping system or the user file share system (shfs for /mnt/user/) or some interaction between the two.

1. Same Speeds

2. I am not moving within Docker, also I never use "/mnt/cache", I always use the share path

3. No Docker being used.  These moves are via SMB, CIFS.  Tested with mv via prompt also.  Same speeds.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

any work around to fix this problem? every time this type of move happens it kills the hard drive performance as it is reading and writing back the same file to the same disk and this causes issues with plex transcoding for me.

anyway to trick the software's to use /mnt/cache/tv shows and be able to see /mnt/user/tv shows content inside of this folder? or would this mess up the mover?

• 1 year later...

Any ways to fix this? I use Windows or Mac and access the cache drive via SMB. Moving from Downloads (from NZBGet client) to Media (user share on array employing cache drive) is so slow!

The only real way to workaround it (btw this is not an unRaid issue, but this affects every single OS ever released ever) is to turn on disk shares and then move files from /mnt/cache/whatever to /mnt/cache/whatever2.