Migrate from Flexraid to UnRaid

kl0wn

I'm in the process of doing just what you are.

I've got one empty drive that I've added to an Unraid pool. Then I've used unmenu to mount my Flexraid NTFS disks. That's as far as I've got at the moment, but next step is SSH and run mc, copy data from 1st flexraid disk, then add that disk to the Unraid pool, copy data from 2nd flexraid disk and so on.

I've got one empty drive that I've added to an Unraid pool. Then I've used unmenu to mount my Flexraid NTFS disks. That's as far as I've got at the moment, but next step is SSH and run mc, copy data from 1st flexraid disk, then add that disk to the Unraid pool, copy data from 2nd flexraid disk and so on.

Rsync would be a better way to migrate the data from one drive to another.

Thats a great idea! I'll have to try that myself. Thanks bud

No problem mate,  just remember that you'll have no parity protection until all your data has been copied across and you've added a parity drive and done your first parity check.

I've mounted and shared all my NTFS drives using unmenu and then added each disk as a source in Kodi so I can still watch my media during the migration.  Seems to be working pretty well and the wife hasn't noticed any difference which is a good sign!

Rsync would be a better way to migrate the data from one drive to another.

I did look at rsync but I wasn't too sure what advantage it offered over mc.  Perhaps I'll have another look..

Yeah figured as much. I'm just stoked I can do it one drive at a time. This means I'll only need to snag me another 4tb to get the migration going.

why not use the parity drive first, remove the parity file first and then copy legit files over to it. Flex raid still has a dedicated parity drive, right?
  • 11 months later...

I'm curious how you are liking unraid better since you moved? I'm contemplating transitioning as well because I'm tired of Flex and every error is an unhandled exception. Not to mention only one dev who doesn't like to handle any errors properly in the log to ease troubleshooting for users.

With 40TB of data over 20 or so drives it would take awhile...so don't want to jump the gun.