New to Unraid - Red Balled Hard Drive

csimmons222

Cabling shouldn't be a problem as I am using a Norco 4224 case with SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 connectors to the backplane.  No other drives within that bank are having problems.

I started the preclear again last night and it got hung up again on Step 2.  This time it only made it 33% of the way through.  See the screenshot. 

unraid.JPG.a90ffec3a64f65a48fbb932658b081c4.JPG

It looks as if the drive has dropped offline for some reason.

To get any further diagnosis you really need to provide a syslog that includes the problem period, and ideally a SMART report for the disk in question.

The commonest causes of this are always cabling (either power or SATA), or a power supply that cannot handle the number of drives in use.  Sometimes it can also be a drive that is not well seated so that vibration can cause a momentary disconnect.

It looks as if the drive has dropped offline for some reason.

To get any further diagnosis you really need to provide a syslog that includes the problem period, and ideally a SMART report for the disk in question.

The commonest causes of this are always cabling (either power or SATA), or a power supply that cannot handle the number of drives in use.  Sometimes it can also be a drive that is not well seated so that vibration can cause a momentary disconnect.

I posted the syslog a few posts above the first time that the drive went offline.  I have attached the smart reports that I just ran last night for the drive in question.

In regard to the power supply, all of the other drives are spun down and not active when the preclear fails.  Therefore, I don't believe it to be a power supply issue.

smart-short-0202.txt

smart-long-0202.txt

Disk 2 has pending sectors. Disks 4 and 6 have both FAILED end-to-end Error. These three disks cannot be recovered using parity. Recovery software like systemRescueCD can be used to read the disks and recover as much as possible.

Disk 6 is my failed drive and is being replaced.  Why can't these disks be rebuilt using parity?

Disk 2 has pending sectors. Disks 4 and 6 have both FAILED end-to-end Error. These three disks cannot be recovered using parity. Recovery software like systemRescueCD can be used to read the disks and recover as much as possible.

Disk 6 is my failed drive and is being replaced.  Why can't these disks be rebuilt using parity?

Rebuilding requires all drives except the one being rebuilt to be read flawlessly. If you have more than 1 drive that returns bad or no data at a particular location, the rebuild will fail at that location.

See here. http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ#How_does_parity_work.3F

The parity drive is only useful in combination with the other drives.

Disk 6 can be rebuilt as long as the other drives do not fail during the procedure. 

Googling end-to-end error brings up very little concrete information as to what the cause of it is.  The safest thing is to just monitor the attribute and replace the drive if it starts increasing.  A pending sector will not cause rebuild to fail.  The worst case scenario is that a file using that sector *may* be corrupted (and therefore a reconstructed file *may* be corrupted)

In this situation, there really isn't another choice but to go ahead

Archived